Sign in to follow this  
tres2

Another new old guy

Hi!

Tres Pierson. This is the first time I have ever posted on the AVSIM forum but the truth is I've been lurking around for years, downloading free airplanes and other stuff out of your library but I.ve never posted anything.

Actually, I am a very experienced simmer, I go back to FS4. Before that, in the 80s, I was a real-world private pilot, accumulated the best part of 500 hours but then I lost my medical when I contracted chronic progressive Multiple Sclerosis. After a few years interim I took up flight simulator and I've been flying a computer and a wheelchair ever since. Oh yes, I am a very experienced simmer. That doesn't mean I am a particularly smart simmer LOL, I've just been doing it in my average way, for a long time. So I figured it was time to jump in here and tell you guys hello. 

I have been an avid FS economy pilot for the last four years but I have mostly migrated away from FSE. Some of you may be aware of Flyteline, which was an outgrowth of FSE about 10 years ago. I've been spending most of my flying time (I'm usually good for twenty or more flights a week; I fly every day except for three days in the office) there.

So I have an issue. It is an outgrowth of my MS disability. As I said, I'm in a wheelchair so obviously anything like a Saitek yoke and rudder pedals  is out of the question LOL, I can work a mouse marginally; I can press the buttons and I can hold a joystick and I'm okay with the keyboard, but the thing is, a scroll wheel is out of the question I just don't have the digital dexterity. As most of you know, the most recent generation of payware airplanes by developers such as Carenado, are heavily involved with knobs which are turned utilizing the scroll wheel. Altitude adjustment, heading adjustment and the like. I'll be damned if I can see why they bothered to make the change, the old way with plus or minus values increasing or decreasing control inputs operateable by simply pushing the mouse button seemed to work perfectly well. And it's not just one developer; I think they are all going to it.

So I need a workaround. I am hoping against hope that somewhere there might be some sort of an app which could alter the code in the control knobs on the new birds and put them back to where an old guy like me can operate them. I have a weak memory of having read somewhere, I think it was on Carenado's forum, about somebody here at AVSIM was helping them with certain things. I would love to encounter that person.

And as you can see, not only am I long in the tooth, I am long-winded as well. But I'm delighted to finally break the ice with AVSIM.

Tres

• Upvote 5

for general purposes...there is an add-on called FSUIPC that has a pretty comprehensive ability for mapping and re-mapping controls. that alone might be all you need.. at the very least you could probably map some key presses to the specific knobs you want.

i think for some complex planes, whether you can edit things might depend if the developer has exposed those particular controls or not. some of them have their own config as well (for example i use pgUP and pgDOWN keys instead of the minimums knob in the pmdg737 but i set it up in their internal options instead of using fsuipc..)

it might be easier for somebody to help you if you list some some specific planes you want assistance with. i don't have much carenado stuff but there are definitely a lot of enthusiasts on these forums who hack and tweak their planes.

cheers,-andy crosby

Hi Tres,

Well - you’ve certainly been around long enough to know how to make a good introduction ! 

Welcome aboard -sir !

It’s also such a benefit that you the opportunity to fly for real - I think it helps with the immersion of FS as you can recall some past experiences..,

The last year or so - I’ve started relying on Voice Control to accomplish manupy of the tasks in the cockpit - especially on those aircraft that are certified for two pilot operation... Would something like that help you with your dexterity issue ? I use a program called Voice Attack and it’s the best $10.00 I’ve spent on a utility... 

Anyway - enjoy your new found freedom posting in the forums...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Welcome to Avsim. Take a look at Multi Crew Experience: http://www.multicrewxp.com

You can have it operate most functions via a virtual co-pilot who you talk to, so you could easily just say 'heading 235' or 'MCP altitude 3,000' and have the virtual co-pilot adjust the heading or altitude control wheels.

And remember, you're never stuck in a chair when you have wings, even virtual ones, because your imagination soars above other people. :gaul:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Welcome aboard Tres, glad you have decided to start posting on AVSIM, great place to find all kinds of help with matters dealing with the flight sim world.

Cheers

Martin

14 hours ago, tres2 said:

After a few years interim I took up flight simulator and I've been flying a computer and a wheelchair ever since.

Sorry to hear about your chronic progressive Multiple Sclerosis and inability to fly as a real-world pilot but happy you found this hobby.  Thanks for joining.  Look forward to your contributions to our community.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

19 hours ago, tres2 said:

As most of you know, the most recent generation of payware airplanes by developers such as Carenado, are heavily involved with knobs which are turned utilizing the scroll wheel. Altitude adjustment, heading adjustment and the like. I'll be damned if I can see why they bothered to make the change, the old way with plus or minus values increasing or decreasing control inputs operateable by simply pushing the mouse button seemed to work perfectly well. And it's not just one developer; I think they are all going to it.

Welcome to active participation, Tres. I understand your angst with "wheel only" operations. That is precisely why whenever I script aircraft virtual cockpits, I include both left/right mouse clicks and wheel up/down options as much as possible.

Unfortunately, there are rare occasions where I have to separate L/R button and wheel operations since the accomplish separate tasks.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator