Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

GTN Trainer 6.41 features

On 11/3/2017 at 5:56 PM, RXP said:

The GTN Tutorial videos at the Garmin website are covering all there is to know to get started with the GTN with ease. I recommend you tour the features in a hands-on approach here:

Garmin GTN Learning Center

Watched most of these yesterday and today, and found a few independent videos as well.  I saw somewhere in your information that the RXP GTN 750 uses Garmin GTN trainer v6.41.  There are some touted features of that Garmin GTN software update that I did not find in their tutorial videos and do not clearly see them called out in your product information. So wondering if they are in your implementation of the GTN 750 based on trainer v6.41.   Examples are the ability to add ad hoc holds (unpublished) at any fix; approach guidance for visual approaches; LNAV +V approaches without WAAS.  Find those to be enhancements of interest.  Then is there an iPad app yet that can connect to the RXP GTN in FSX.  My iPad is the only touch screen device I have for use with flight simulation.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Examples are the ability to add ad hoc holds (unpublished) at any fix; approach guidance for visual approaches; LNAV +V approaches without WAAS. 

All yes. Ad hoc holds were added in earlier update 6.21 (I think it was). All of these are available using the latest Trainer based on 6.41.

• Upvote 1

David Porrett

30 minutes ago, DavidP said:

All yes. Ad hoc holds were added in earlier update 6.21 (I think it was). All of these are available using the latest Trainer based on 6.41.

So this is then available in RXP GTN's?  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

11 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Yes!

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

47 minutes ago, DavidP said:

16 minutes ago, fppilot said:

4 minutes ago, RXP said:

Yes!

Great! This may sound mostly insignificant to some, but I was wishing to have this feature a couple of days ago when I was up and sorting out my new Mooney M20R.  Looking around the cockpit learning where less necessary controls are, and for cowl flaps that turns out are not there.  I thought to myself that it would be great to just establish a GPS/autopilot hold at a fix for when I am doing that....  Also great when recognizing I need a better alternate airport because of conditions at destination and primary alternate.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

approach guidance for visual approaches

Here are 2 additions of interest in the trainer 6.41:

Visual approach guidance

Visual approach guidance is now available within the GTN 650/750, which provides advisory vertical guidance in visual flight conditions based on a published glide path angle or a three-degree glideslope from the threshold of the runway, while considering terrain and obstacle clearance. When selecting a visual approach, pilots can choose the runway of intended landing and select vectors for the final approach intercept to assist them in flying a stabilized approach. When a flight plan is loaded, the GTN will also provide a shortcut to optionally load and activate a visual approach when the aircraft is within 5 miles of the destination airport if an approach is not already selected. By utilizing visual approach guidance within the GTN, pilots are provided a more stable descent and precise flight path throughout the approach and landing phases of flight while operating in visual conditions.

LNAV+V approaches without WAAS/SBAS

Pilots operating into airports throughout the world that are not served by WAAS/SBAS can now receive advisory vertical guidance (LNAV+V) while flying LNAV approaches with the GTN 650/750. By taking advantage of the advisory glideslope offered by the GTN, pilots can more easily fly a stabilized descent while flying LNAV approaches.

I'm glad we're supporting the GTN Trainer 6.41 at least for these feature. They are ingenious additions!

• Upvote 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Would someone post a line to the training software?

For some reason, I can't locate it.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

12 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

What do you mean?

Sorry, a link to the software download.

I don't suppose the software itself has an update link...i'll check...

Update: Nope, it doesn't.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

When you install the RXP GTN is auto-detects if your GTN trainer is older and offer to download the latest instead.

The current download link is:

http://download.garmin.com/software/GarminTrainerSetup_2000.exe

Otherwise, once GTN trainer 6.41 gets installed, it now has its own 'Check Update' function.

ATTENTION: auto-updating your GTN trainer to a newer version than 6.41 will render your RealityXP GTN INOP. You have to wait for official support prior updating. List of compatible trainers is displayed during RXP software installation in the 'readme' window, currently these are 6.41, 6.21 and 6.11 (we will try to keep the last 3 versions at least).

27 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

For some reason, I can't locate it.

If you are talking about the tutorials, Jean Luc moved part of the discussion into this new topic. If you page up to the first post in this topic where I quoted Jean Luc, the link to the Garmin GTN tutorials is the bottom line in that quote.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

5 minutes ago, RXP said:

When you install the RXP GTN is auto-detects if your GTN trainer is older and offer to download the latest instead.

The current download link is:

http://download.garmin.com/software/GarminTrainerSetup_2000.exe

Otherwise, once GTN trainer 6.41 gets installed, it now has its own 'Check Update' function.

ATTENTION: auto-updating your GTN trainer to a newer version than 6.41 will render your RealityXP GTN INOP. You have to wait for official support prior updating. List of compatible trainers is displayed during RXP software installation in the 'readme' window, currently these are 6.41, 6.21 and 6.11 (we will try to keep the last 3 versions at least).

I have a licensed installation of the F1 GTN 750 that utilizes an earlier Garmin GTN trainer. It would take me some time to transition over and I have just finished transitioning from your original RXP GNS series to your new RXP GNS v2 series.  Given that you have implemented your GTN by embracing an updated Garmin GTN trainer my question is if the new and the previous Garmin trainers can co-exist on my system while I make a slower GTN transition?  I want to also get back to more flying.... : )

Frank Patton
ASUS 

40 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Given that you have implemented your GTN by embracing an updated Garmin GTN trainer my question is if the new and the previous Garmin trainers can co-exist on my system while I make a slower GTN transition?  I want to also get back to more flying.... : )

We've got you covered! Since day one, our GTN and GNS V2 X-Plane and FltSim gives you the means to selectively override the path to the trainer, the path to the data, the path to the NAV db etc... It is documented in our user's manuals you can download directly from the RXP home pages (down below the image carrousel).

Furthermore, the trainer 6.41 installs alongside any previous version. However, like I use to say, not all GTN are born equal and although our GTN picks up the latest version installed if not manually overriden, others may not.... 

• Upvote 1

Great! Thanks! Now I just have to figure out the coupon routine again :biggrin:

Frank Patton
ASUS