Sign in to follow this  
Slider

Q400 - limited reverse

Hello, I have finally set my Warthog up to use fuel cutoff notches as reverse on Q400 via FSUIPC. It's set so idle position is DISC and moving over the detent will press and repeat the Throttle 1 and 2 Decrease until released, however, I now no longer have full reverse range. Weather I hold F2 or use my joystick, levers only move about 10% in reverse and stop, while before it was all the way, so I really don't have much range.

Not sure I can help, but are the notches recognized as Axis or Buttons in FSUIPC?  

My Saitek throttle functions like a button if you push the lever into the minus, or reverse area.

In the FSUIPC4 Buttons + Switches tab I have F2 specified as "Press the key(s) to be sent when you press this button".  Below that I have the 'Key press to repeat while held' option checked.

F2 is defined in my FSX controls, I could have just as easily not done so and used the right, "Control sent when button press" option and selected one of the values from the drop down.

Again, not sure if that's of any help, but good luck.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

I know this isn't really solving the problem but use of reverse in the Q400 is pretty rare IRL, generally pilots consider DISC to provide a sufficient braking effect. Reverse is discouraged because of the FOD implications.

• Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Hi All..... dragging this up again as today I tried to understand exactly what Disc does.... !

And, I got nowhere.

Does disc simply disconnect the engine from the prop shafts, and as the props are not feathered (as you have disconnected Auto-Feather prior to landing), they essentially act as a brake due to air movement - the effect decreasing gradually with speed ?

Or am I hopelessly wrong, and should just go back to my Comanche !  ?  !  ?

Thnx for any advice.

Edited by Gabe777

No, there's no clutch and windmilling. "Disc" is basically just Dash-lingo for Beta range, which is the range of propeller pitch between lowest in-flight pitch and reverse pitch(or slightly past reverse?). Turboprops reverse by turning the blades around while the rotational direction stays the same. Beta is the range in the middle which allows very fine control and lots of drag, perfect for reducing speed during the landing roll and controlling your taxi speed. The prop is always linked to the turbine via it's gear system. The only thing that changes in any and all engine configurations is blade pitch and propeller RPM. "Disc" isn't short for disconnect, it's a reference to the shape of the prop circle when the blades are turned flat against the wind.

Edited by Meese