Sign in to follow this  
enrico68

Issues with engine start and start locks

Hello, 

I am having a lot of issues when  starting the JS4100 engines. First, I turn everything off, to make it cold and dark. After that, I turn the batteries on, connect the GPU, do my preflight cheks and  before I start the engines I make sure the props are unfeathered. I then proceed with engine n°2 and then with engine n°1. Although I made sure the props are unfeathered, somehow when I remember to double check, I notice both or just one of them is still in a feather position, and that is issue n°1. Which means, if I forget to double check, I have an engine fire upon starting up. Another issue I am having is when I remove the start locks: sometimes, I have to pull back on the power levers more than once to remove the start locks, and while doing it, the engines catch fire, not pretty...I really like this plane, and I would be grateful if someone could help me out, I have a feeling I am doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what...Maybe there is a proper way to make the JS4100 cold and dark, and then start the engines without issues...looking forward to any suggestion...

Regards

Enrico Lazzaroni

I've answered this more comprehensively at http://viaintercity.com/forums/bae-jetstream-41-(bae-js4100)/faq-(frequently-asked-questions)-and-tips-for-bae-js4100/ but to summarise:

• The props do not feather immediately upon shut down, it takes time for the hub oil pressure to bleed away and this can catch you out; as soon as you hit the overhead STOP buttons (condition levers should be taxi, do not use them to turn the engines off) you need to go to full reverse and leave the levers there until the props have stopped turning. Then wait a minute before checking the prop angle.
  • Typically you would start engine 1 first then disconnect GPU, as the GPU is positioned behind engine 2.
  • Don't try removing start locks until both engines are stabilised. Pull the thrust levers full back (or until you hear "start locks removed", which comes first) and then return them to idle by pressing F1, this usually avoids any fire causing EGT spikes. If you're still struggling, you can increase Prop RPM to 100% for removal of start locks. Note the J41 is capable of reversing off stand under its own power, even in FSX.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Hello Chris, 

I will be using your suggestions later on, when I am home, and let's see if I can get a proper shut down and engine start without engine fire...if i experience more trouble, I'll let you know, trying to be as detailed as possible so you can tell me where I am screwing up. :wink: