Sign in to follow this  
Boeing100

Blurry textures when sub-4K

Hi

I have a 4K monitor and have enjoyed using it generally for gaming in 4K or QHD resolution without any issues. I've noticed something specific to P3D though which I can't quite understand. If I select 4K resolution in the settings, everything looks very crisp indeed, performance is more than adequate in most cases. However I was thinking of lowering this to 1080P or 1040p to see if I get a significant boost in FPS. Unfortunately what happens is that it makes everything look a little blurry. Nothing looks sharps ether it's the displays, the edges of the cockpit etc. The only thing that I've found to solve this is return the resolution to 4K. I don't experience this blurriness while gaming in sub-4K resolutions

has anyone else ever encountered this and do you have any suggested fixes?

I'm using a GTX980 (soon to be upgraded to 1080ti).

Thanks

That's a "disadvantage" of modern displays. Everything below the native resolution looks blurry. Has nothing to do with P3D...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Regular gaming relies on sprites and texture, while P3D computes everything on the fly.  A lower resolution actually produce a lower resolution frame to the GPU which when sent to the 4K monitor got applied using more pixels so the one pixel that looks good will look blurry, because in effect the 4K monitor magnify the smaller resolution.  Upgrading to the 1080Ti will help, the GTX980 is not strong enough for 4K.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

thanks for the feedback, very interesting stuff. The 1080ti will be a xmas present so only 2 months to go...in the mean time I will try to OC my GPU to see if I can squeeze out a few extra FPS in 4K.

I would save the time. OC a GPU? What do you expect? I mean, in the best case, you might overclock your GPU by 10%. Now, even when the full 10% OC will translate to 10% more performance (rather unlikely), this would mean: instead of 20FPS, you would have 22FPS. Is this really worth the effort? I would say: no. Especially because an inapropriate GPU OC will result in an unstable system and potentially CTDs and all this stuff.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

I would save the time. OC a GPU? What do you expect? I mean, in the best case, you might overclock your GPU by 10%. Now, even when the full 10% OC will translate to 10% more performance (rather unlikely), this would mean: instead of 20FPS, you would have 22FPS. Is this really worth the effort? I would say: no. Especially because an inapropriate GPU OC will result in an unstable system and potentially CTDs and all this stuff.

and out of curiosity what if I OC my CPU? apologies but overclocking is completely new to me and as I bought an unlocked CPU (i7 6700K) i'd like to explore this option

50 minutes ago, Boeing100 said:

and out of curiosity what if I OC my CPU? apologies but overclocking is completely new to me and as I bought an unlocked CPU (i7 6700K) i'd like to explore this option

Your best bet is to wait for the 1080 Ti.  P3Dv4 uses much more GPU especially at 4K, at this point you are bottle-necked  by the GPU at that resolution.  If you have not, try running the 6700K at Turbo mode.  The later generation CPU is much more hot, so if you don't have good cooling, don't try or risk failing it with heat.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

16 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

Your best bet is to wait for the 1080 Ti.  P3Dv4 uses much more GPU especially at 4K, at this point you are bottle-necked  by the GPU at that resolution.  If you have not, try running the 6700K at Turbo mode.  The later generation CPU is much more hot, so if you don't have good cooling, don't try or risk failing it with heat.

thanks, I have a pretty standard air flow cooling system (no liquid cooling) so would be a bit cautious about temps. However I live in Scotland and the air here has been very cold as of late. I have a clear side panel and my MoBo has a digital temp gauge. I've noticed it's stayed very cool recently as the fan intake is pretty large and is taking in the cold air from outside (I like to have fresh air so leave the windows open).
My MoBo is from MSI and has a dial in the BIOS you can switch ( i think from one to 5) to increase the OC on the CPU. I might try in increments and see if it has any positive effect, if not for P3D until I upgrade to the 1080ti, then for other games I run.