Sign in to follow this  
rspring94

How to flare in the TDS 787?

9 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Did you also read my posts?

Yes I did, but I didn't completely understand what was written in those links.

There should be a very simple way to fix this.

If someone has a link to a 787 (-8, -9 and -10 variants) with corrected CG, can they please provide it here?

Any other help is greatly appreciated. :)

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

QF147: SYD-AKL (ZK-ZQG)

27-5-2018

EK413: CHC-SYD (A6-EUI)

6 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Nothing in the FS wrld comes simple, so if you want this fixed, you will have to do this yourself.

Yes, but I still don’t understand how.

I try adjusting the fuel and payload but it almost feels like there is a limit as to how far back it can go.

As far as I can tell, it is just a CG problem, but I can’t find any specific information on how to fix it.

I also found on the Facebook page for the TDS 787, another person with this problem, but they never mentioned they found a solution. :(

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

I just reread your first post.  Have you ever had a good landing with this aircraft?  You state that your nosewheel slams into the runway after the mains touch. What is your landing speed?  Sounds like you are over flaring to start with.  Just a little is needed so that the nosewheel touches a few seconds after the mains.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Even with only a small amount of flare, I still slam into the runway. :(

My landing speed is about 160 KIAS.

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

160 knots is way too fast.  Try 145 knots.  I was only successful once.  Every attempt after was a crash,  even with perfect flair.

I'm assuming it will take practice rather than .cfg editing.

Worst case scenario, you can download an autoland gauge and let the aircraft land itself.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

On 11/21/2017 at 0:54 AM, charliearon said:

160 knots is way too fast.  Try 145 knots.  I was only successful once.  Every attempt after was a crash,  even with perfect flair.

I'm assuming it will take practice rather than .cfg editing.

Worst case scenario, you can download an autoland gauge and let the aircraft land itself.

Well, even at 145 knots, I still slam into the runway.

This is not a problem I am going to give up on.

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

Fixed it!

I went to download an autoland gauge, and in the readme for the gauge, there was information about correcting the CG by adjusting the wing apex value. I tried this, and my CG moved to the right spot, and I was able to land with proper flare.

Thanks for your help. :)

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

Why would it only occasionally work?

Sometimes I can flare, and sometimes I slam down. :huh:

I think I may not have the wing apex setting quite right. I will do a couple of test flights and report back.

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

Ok, I don't know WHAT is going on, but after about the first two flights, it has reverted to slamming into the runway again.

Also, considering hardly anyone else is having this problem, and this particular solution has only been mentioned in one place, and doesn't actually refer to this specific aircraft, I am wondering if I am doing something wrong?

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

I have the same problem with the Boeing 777-300ER. My 787"s land great, but they are not TDS. Try flying an ILS approach to landing. When ILS kicks in, let it settle into a nice glide scope and then open an external view (I like the left rear quarter) and observe the pitch your 787 has. My 777 is already pitched up and I don't need to be flaring above the runway, that only adds more distance the nose wheel has to fall and with a greater slam! Try watching the aircraft with the external view and see how the plane lands by itself. I know it's hard to assume the aircraft will be okay without your help, but it will. If it's anything like my 777, you will see the nose on your 787 is already in a pitch up position. I just flew mine and landed by ILS, main hit firmly and nose wanted to take a drop, but I was already holding slight back pressure on the joystick when the mains touched down and held that back pressure and the nose came down quicker than I would like, but it did not slam!

It's been awhile since I flew the 777. I remember gritting my teeth and pulling what little hair I have left. I, too, wish there was a fix for this. For me, the Boeing 777's, and I have 6 of them in various models, have been the only line that has given me problems. The -300 with drop in nose gear and the -200 series with the weight and balance issues causing extended takeoff rolls. This morning, I just downloaded the Boeing 787-10 and the Airbus A350-1000, both large aircraft and they fly like a dream! I walked away from the 777-300 due to the problems you too are having!

I hope you find a fix and be willing to share with all of us. It will most welcome by all of us having the same issue!

Good luck! - Rick

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:17 AM, overspeed3 said:

I find that most, if not all freeware 787's have an inherent problem:  The center of gravity is way off.  I believe this is due to use of the same model and/or config for every aircraft issued.  I purchased  the new Quality Wings 787, and the CoG seems to be correct....  

r22s7 - I can only speak for the downloads that I have and the above quote by overspeed3 does not apply to the 787's that I have. I have 4 variations of the 787; I have 2 - 787-8, 1 -787-9 and a newly downloaded 787-10 and they all fly like a champ. Talk to me about inherent problems, if you want to talk about Boeing 777's, I will be more than glad to give you my take on those! If we are talking about freeware, why don't you leave your TDS 787 downloaded, and move on to another 787. This will give you time to sort out what is wrong with the TDS and hopefully you will have a very nice 787 to enjoy in the meanwhile! Just my suggestions, I have had to do that on more than one occasion!

Rick

2 hours ago, RGus said:

r22s7 - I can only speak for the downloads that I have and the above quote by overspeed3 does not apply to the 787's that I have. I have 4 variations of the 787; I have 2 - 787-8, 1 -787-9 and a newly downloaded 787-10 and they all fly like a champ. Talk to me about inherent problems, if you want to talk about Boeing 777's, I will be more than glad to give you my take on those! If we are talking about freeware, why don't you leave your TDS 787 downloaded, and move on to another 787. This will give you time to sort out what is wrong with the TDS and hopefully you will have a very nice 787 to enjoy in the meanwhile! Just my suggestions, I have had to do that on more than one occasion!

Rick

Do you have the links for where you downloaded the 787s?

The problem is, as far as the 787 goes, there aren't a whole lot of other freeware options.

Because I am in Australia, I would end up having to pay nearly $100 for the QW 787.

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

27-5-2018

Let me see if I can send you a Private Message. I am a new member here and I don't want to step on anyone's toes by giving out information for another flightsim site. Be on the lookout, I'll try it now!