Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

RXP GTN in the Panthera

This isn't my work, a user at x plane dot org has created a nice mod for the GTN 750 in Aerobask Panthera.  I'm trying to contact him to make sure it's ok to post his work.

But screenshots!  I think there may be a way to get the GTN 650 working and I have been playing with some values but no luck so far.

If you don't have the Panthera I highly recommend it - super plane!

edit:  I've just now taken what I learned from that user and made a GTN 750 mod for the Aerobask Eclipse 550 v2!

37577019364_5c5f8e0b49_o.jpgpantheraGTN2 by ryan b, on Flickr

26512210629_563b471b6e_o.jpgpantheraGTN by ryan b, on Flickr

38233306726_8a1f12e339_o.jpgeclipseGTNRXP2 by ryan b, on Flickr

37577368834_4e7b7236ea_o.jpgeclipseGTNRXP by ryan b, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Nice!
Do the physical buttons work correctly with that mod?
I had some success with the Panthera (I don't own the Eclipse) - using XP v11.10b6 (where the manipulators have some issues).
The tactile interface works but the clicks are also registered to control the underlaying Aerobask GTNs.
I didn't test much but it seems ok and does not interfere with the RXP GTNs functions.
I was thinking about removing some folders and references in the Panthera aicraft folder but I didn't have the time to try and I'm not sure it wouldn't brake something important.

It looks decent enough but it's not fully functional due to that slight issue.
Also, we're loosing Otto Pilot from the Aerobask GTN 650 ;)

0dc82a9baddbeb713ea580cfdf0f5e86.jpg

If anyone wants to give it a shot, you can try the following settings:
(copy-paste the appropriate parts)

GTN 750 + GTN 650 + Aerobask Panthera
(not perfect but useable)

[GTN]
; comma separated list of gauges
gauges = GTN_650_2, GTN_750_1

[GTN_750_1.PANELS]
; display window if true.
visible = true 
; show screen only gauge if true.
nobezel = true 
; display type: WINDOW,PANEL2D,PANEL3D,PANELS
frame.type = PANEL3D
; display position and dimension (left,top,width,height)
frame.rect = 1024,2050,600,710
; screen only border size (pixels).
border.size = 0
; screen only border color (#RGB or #RGBA).
border.rgba = #000000
; enable mouse option: NONE,POPUP,TOUCHSCREEN
usemouse = TOUCHSCREEN

[GTN_650_2.PANELS]
; display window if true.
visible = true 
; show screen only gauge if true.
nobezel = true 
; display type: WINDOW,PANEL2D,PANEL3D,PANELS
frame.type = PANEL3D
; display position and dimension (left,top,width,height)
frame.rect = 1024,1339,596,266
; screen only border size (pixels).
border.size = 0
; screen only border color (#RGB or #RGBA).
border.rgba = #000000
; enable mouse option: NONE,POPUP,TOUCHSCREEN
usemouse = TOUCHSCREEN

Note: it looks like the polygons used to display the dynamic texture of the GTNs do not fill the whole space available for the GTNs 3D models, this prevents the RXP GTNs from being perfectly aligned to the 3D models.

[ Is there a way to get more formatting options for the posts in that forum? I don't see anything to change the font color, size, add foldable/hidden content, etc.]

• Upvote 1

I decided to NOT include the 650 for that reason you mentioned... I wanted the AP buttons to work still.  And I don't really need a 650 unless RXP gives us crossfill someday HEHE!

No I can't get the buttons to work....  I don't understand much about XP's 3d rendering so I'd have to look into it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

13 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I decided to NOT include the 650 for that reason you mentioned... I wanted the AP buttons to work still.  And I don't really need a 650 unless RXP gives us crossfill someday HEHE!

No I can't get the buttons to work....  I don't understand much about XP's 3d rendering so I'd have to look into it.

Nice screenshots you posted above, Ryan, but i believe this thread is to post the configuration also, not just screenshots. Can you share your configuration?

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

2 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Nice screenshots you posted above, Ryan, but i believe this thread is to post the configuration also, not just screenshots. Can you share your configuration?

Thanks.

I'm trying to get a hold of the user at xplane dot Org who made the first mod for the Panthera - I basically used his work to get the Eclipse working.  Otherwise if you have an account there go to the Aerobask Panthera forums and search GTN and it should come up.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

16 minutes ago, Alvega said:

but i believe this thread is to post the configuration also, not just screenshots.

I've moved the discussion to its own thread. The 'Official Panel Configuration' thread is for posting final mods only, so as to keep it easier for others to find the mods (for lack of 'file library' feature in the forum).

It is best discussing the integration separately, and once the mod is finalized, to post the config in the thread.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Sorry yeah I was hoping to get the guy's permission but he hasn't responded.

Here's his post with instructions:  https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/118729-panthera-realityxp-gtn750/&do=findComment&comment=1273079

The eclipse is pretty much the same.  I'm guessing the Velocity V Twin would also be the same - I'm still thinking about that plane.  My GPU is already starving for vram when I run XP11 lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Hi Ryan,

I tried what he said in the link and the GTN shows up, but there are synchronization problems between the RXP GTN and the left Skyview. As an example, if in the left Skyview I select LOC and then I change the RXP GTN to GPS, the left Skyview doesn't change (stays in LOC) and the glideslope bar starts blinking.

Also I cannot open the RXP GTN window when I press the sd card on the GTN, it opens the default GTN instead.

Another problem is 2 flighplans must be inserted, one for the RXP GTN and one for the default, otherwise they don't show on both.

Are you having these problems too?

Thanks.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I'll make a wild guess, but I'm not certain it's what's involved:

The Aerobask GTNs and Skyview are plugins and thus do not communicate with the RXP GTNs directly.
They probably interact with the X-Plane navigation logic in a similar way the RXP GTNs do, by directly controlling/injecting the commands in the navigation system.
That would mean the RXP GTNs only interact with X-Plane and can't directly modify the Skyview.

With the .ini settings you tried, the buttons are still bound to the Aerobask GTN functions. Changing what they do would require editing the panthera_cockpit.obj and change the appropriate references (it can be done with a text editor like Notepad++ or Sublime Text).
For example, that command controls what the volume knob axis does for the GTN model you interact with:

ATTR_manip_drag_axis    rotate_medium    0.1    0    0    0    1    aerobask/panthera/gtn750_vol

You could change the aerobask/panthera/gtn750_vol by a RXP GTN command (see the manual).
It's a time consuming process to change all those references but not that difficult.
(unfortunately, I currently don't have the time to edit that file myself)

The same could be done to display the RXP GTN popup window by clicking on the memory card.
It would be those lines (panthera_cockpit.obj):

ATTR_manip_toggle    button    1    0    aerobask/panthera/gtn650_Show

ATTR_manip_toggle    button    1    0    aerobask/panthera/gtn750_Show

You could try to use those commands instead:

ATTR_manip_toggle    button    1    0   RXP/GTN/TOGGLE_WINDOW_2

ATTR_manip_toggle    button    1    0   RXP/GTN/TOGGLE_WINDOW_1

I didn't try, but theoretically it should do the trick. You can save a backup of the original file and try these.

EDIT:

A quick search showed those commands:
ATTR_manip_command    button    aerobask/gtn750/Dct    
ATTR_manip_command    button    aerobask/gtn650/Dct
ATTR_manip_command    button    aerobask/gtn750/Home    
ATTR_manip_command    button    aerobask/gtn650/Home

Changing the commands by:
RXP/GTN/DTO_1 and DTO_2
RXP/GTN/HOME_1 and HOME 2
should make the buttons interact with the RXP GTN home and direct to functions.
ex:
ATTR_manip_command    button   RXP/GTN/HOME_1

That should work.
Just don't add the lines randomly as they're bound to the TRIS references - just modify what's already there.

Happy modding!

• Upvote 1

Lol Bourrinopathe, I'll see what my once young and sharp brain can get out of this.

Thanks.

Alvega

Ahah yes sorry it must look like a coding nightmare.
But good news is that I got stubborn (again) and seized a few minutes to test that idea and it works!

The only thing that doesn't work is the COMM volume knob as it's probably hardcoded and dynamically controlled by the Aerobask GTN plugin - I don't know if there's a way to disable it (but we would want to keep the Aerobask GTN 650 - details below).
I still changed the cursor controls so when you try to use it in the virtual cockpit, it will display the volume level on the GTN screen.
If you want to change the COMM volume, you will have to use the Aerobask GTN popup window. You can't change it using the RXP popup window.
You can display the RXP GTN popup windows by clicking on each sides of the bezels (not the memory card only).

The hybrid solution I chose is using the COMM volume knob push action to toggle the Aerobask GTNs, so if you need them, you can access the popup windows.
That's useful for the Otto Pilot ;) : display the popup, select the autopilot page, do what you want, close it - and now when you'll need the autopilot, just push that button on the 3D model (GTN 650).
Loading a flight plan would also be possible using the Aerobask GTN popup the same way.
HOME, DTO and the outer and inner knobs + push button control the RXP GTN versions.

So everything looks fine.
PM me if you want to test the file, but I can't publicly share it as it modifies the panthera_cockpit.obj, which is the property of Aerobask and would require permission. I'll ask if they'd agree.

• Upvote 2

That's pretty cool!  So still not possible to get the CDI on the GTN and Skyview to sync?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

22 hours ago, Bourrinopathe said:

I don't think so, as they act as separate systems. We would need some sort of advanced Crossfill ;)

Alright, it's not a huge issue - just have to aviate and navigate - and make sure the Skyview is using GPS when the GTN is in GPS mode.

Do you have a link to that mod?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |