Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

Arg! KB4043961 Has Trashed my Sim.. Help!

Thanks for the update guys!

Rob, does the DX Shader compiler fix mean I should delete my Shaders folder in P3D after the update or is this fix referring to something else?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

48 minutes ago, odourboy said:

Rob, does the DX Shader compiler fix mean I should delete my Shaders folder in P3D after the update

I did, and I would recommend it as it does no harm, just means you have a slight one time delay as the view gets rendered on next entry to P3D flight session.  Also recommend the full 360 (2X slowly) rotation for both VC and outside view.

Cheers, Rob.

Oh one VERY important note I should add for 1709 updates ... if you have a Samsung NVMe M.2 and an Asus Motherboard with X299 make sure you update your BIOS to the latest version (Asus BIOS).  

There is a very long thread (several threads) of users having issues with Win 10 1709 update that have NVMe devices ... resulting in a BSOD when attempting to update to 1709, picture taken from someone else having the issue:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/1098520

I ran into this issue and updated from 0702 to 0802 BIOS rev and that resolved the issue.  So if you have an NVMe as your OS boot device, you may run into issues and will need to work with your vendor or in my cases ASUS BIOS update.

Cheers, Rob.

Another quick update. 

1709 installed fine on 3 of my PCs, but 1 PC just refuses to install 1709 update.  This error indicates some time of driver issue but no reference of what driver so it's fairly useless error message (note this error was reported using Win10 Update Assistant tool (the standard Windows Update process produces a different error but I suspect related to the same issue).

Win10_1709_InstallError.jpg.5e69e1957117df57a23768963972264b.jpg

Most likely my one non-updateble PC will require a wipe and clean install from a boot USB with Win10 1709 build.

But I guess 3 out 4 PC's updating is about standard for the Microsoft 75% mark.  I'm not entirely sure this issue is related exclusive to NVMe M.2's as all 4 of my PC's have boot NVMe M.2's installed.  Fortunately there are many users with this issue so I'm hoping Microsoft will address this.

FYI, BIOS updates didn't resolve this, all of my PCs are running the latest BIOS versions.

Cheers, Rob.

12 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I'm not entirely sure this issue is related exclusive to NVMe M.2's as all 4 of my PC's have boot NVMe M.2's installed.

I have an Samsung M2 SSD installed and used as the boot drive and updated to Windows 10 1709 successfully.  Have flown several flights in v4.1 and no issues whatsoever.  In fact things appear to be running better than ever before!  I checked and my Samsung NVMe M2 is up-to-date.  If you just installed Windows 10, then run a driver update program like Driver Booster to make sure the SATA controllers and USB ports and sys bus drivers are all up-to-date.  I can guarantee there is no problem associated with Windows 10 and NVMe M2 drives.  It has to be something else conflicting with 1709.  In fact, my Driver Booster program has been finding updates suddenly.  One is the Creative sound card controller.  Hope you can find a fix!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Agree, 3 out of my 4 PCs all with NVMe M.2s updated, just the one PC didn't, so I tend to agree it may not be a NVMe issue and something else ... just wish Microsoft provided more useful error messages ... I looked up the error code and there was NOTHING useful to be gained other than anything that starts with Hex C1900101 is a driver issue.

Checked that all my drivers are up to date ... just wish Microsoft would provide more info to go on because there are 100's of drivers installed in any given system.

For now, I've just disabled Windows updates, run my own anti-virus/malware software ... I'll keep an eye on this issue to see if Microsoft acknowledge and have a fix within the next couple of months.  If it looks like this is just going to be ignored by Microsoft, then when I have some free time I'll just do a wipe and re-install to "solve" the update problem ... I'm in no rush as the one PC that didn't update is working just fine.

Cheers, Rob.

Anyone who still has the "child window" problem after the 1709 update may be interested in this post from Jim Young, who traced the problem on his system to Orbx:

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

As of today, does anyone know if all these 'win10 updates vs FSX addon' issues been resolved?