Sign in to follow this  
schaefer

DX10 not working in FSX SE after verification game files

In connection with setup of a new monitor ASUS P277B I verified the Steam files and subsequently checked all addons, scenery paths etc. My system is now working fine in DX9 with acceptable FPS for my machine (specs below).

I then proceeded to upgrade to the latest DX10 version as I have worked with DX10 before and it worked OK on my old rig.

Now when staring FSX SE I cannot see the aircraft screen and should I choose 'Free Flight ' to fly the standard C172 the progress bar immediately jumps to around 82% and 100% immediately afterwards. The screen remains black and I have no other alternative other than to close down.

I have checked the FSX path (I have Steam installed on a separate drive.) but fail to see what exactly is happening.

I know that this subject has been discussed before but cannot anything at the moment that gives appropriate corrective input. Obviously i am doing something wrong so I would appreciate if anybody can cast some light on how to move forward.

My specs:

Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit version 1607 fully updated
Intel Core i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50 GHz, (OC 3.8 Ghz turbo mode)
16GB  DDR-3 RAM 1600MHz, 
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6Gb
ASUS PB277Q Monitor

Process Lasso

ASN2016, ORBX , local Airports EKRK , EKCH

DZ10 guidelines followed  for NVI and asper NZ Howto

Thansk for your guidance

Regards

Schaefer/Bruce

You mention upgrading DX10 to the latest version.  Color me confused but there is only one version of DX10, one version of DX11, one verson of DX12.  I'm assuming you mean you turned on DX10 Preview and now you are seeing problems.  If you have DX10 Preview enabled in the settings, you will see scenery and aircraft made for DX10 but, if you have DX10 Preview disabled, you will not have all of the added features DX10 Preview provides.  DX10 Preview is broken (why it is called DX10 Preview in the settings as Microsoft did not have time to fully make it compatible with FSX before Microsoft terminated the FSX contract with the developers).  FSX works great in DX9 (DX10 Preview disabled).  So, if you enabled DX10 Preview, restarted FSX-SE (it must be restarted for DX10 Preview to work), and you are seeing anomalies with the default C172 being "black" on the setup screen and "black" after loading the free flight, then it means something is eating up computer resources.  I remember once I had almost every photoscenery for the USA and they were all enabled in the scenery.cfg and it took some time for even the startup screen to show up.  The aircraft looked black and, when I started up the sim, the aircraft remained black.  I could hear in the background the photoscenery loading.  Photoscenery loads no matter where you start your flight.  So, if you start up in the USA and you have photoscenery enabled for Europe, the photoscenery in Europe will load even though you are only flying in the USA taking up valuable resources.

You may be trying to load scenery not made for DX10 preview.  If that happens, everything will be black.  There's an AddonConverterX you can get at Flight1 that will convert your old DX9 scenery to DX10 "on the fly" meaning, it converts to DX10 only during the flight session.  More information might be found at the following link - https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/618458030655825340/

I strongly recommend you purchase Steve's DX10 Fixer (his support forums are located here on AVSIM).  He fixed a lot of anomalies found with DX10 Preview and is probably the best addon purchase you'll ever make if you are using FSX-SE.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hej Jim,

Sorry for the confusion. The upgrade  I referred to was version 3.4 of Steve's DX10 Fixer, whicn I have used for years.

With regards to scenery I have the relevant Orbx products for Europa but I am using FSX Scenery Manager where I only use the relevant areas/airports.

The tving that bugs må is that I see the extremely fast jump in the loading bar that tells me that the program is not loading aircraft,  terræn or sceneriet and thereby crashing the program.

Thanks for the tip on AddonConverterX, I'll take a look at that.

I'm affald that Steam in some way har changed something when berøring files gradvis causing a conflict and I Guess I Know the answer for that!!!

Best regards 

Bruce

When you have Steam verify your files, it will essentially return FSXSE to its original pristine (just installed) condition. If you have many additional things added to FSXSE that have altered original files, and those files are restored by Steam to default, then it's possible that your FSX is now in a very confused state...... (My working theory on your problem)

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

If you're using Steve's DX10 Fixer then AddonConverterX is unnecessary. Been there, done that. I don't have Steam, but I know that at times times in the past if I multitasked or did  something else when FSX was trying to load, I've had the same experience. Don't try to do something else when Steam is loading; just sit there and twiddle your thumbs instead.:biggrin:

Thanks to Hiflyer and ualani.

I guess that the only way forward is a reinstall.

Fortunately as a FSX longtime user one has experience so I am in the midst of that enjoyable task.

Thanks and Happy landings.

Regards

Schaefer/Bruce 

That is weird since the Steam version should have loaded sp2 which enables dx 10 in FSX?

I had the same situation with the boxed set but because I had not installed sp2.

On 11/01/2018 at 5:11 AM, Zatoichi said:

That is weird since the Steam version should have loaded sp2 which enables dx 10 in FSX?

I had the same situation with the boxed set but because I had not installed sp2.

FSX:SE doesn't need SP2 as it includes the Acceleration pack which replaces the service packs and adds additional features.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Probably all you need to do is run the Direct X 10 Fixer, uninstall the libraries, reinstall the libraries and restart FSX.

If that is not what you want to do, the symptoms you describe are typical of the Shaders that are stored being a mismatch for the

Shaders that you have set by reinstalling FSX. The solution is either what I have described or delete the shaders.

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments.

In realitet I have spent the last few months dealing with family illness and a very careful review, update and tuning of my system where I am currently seeing how much realistic effect there is in OCing CPU and GPU (as well as dealing with the  Fall Creators Update and the latest Meltdown challenges).

All has gone well but I am still working on Afterburner to get some reasonably stable FPS numbers before making the quantum jump to Steve's DX10 Fixer.

I had it on my previous machine but I have now spent 12 months getting my new (for me at least) machine in stable balance so I can get back to my navigation training.

I plan on updating this entry with final conclusions when DX10 is stable

Thanks

Schaefer