Sign in to follow this  
dmarques69

Windows 10 is losing installations...

According to Steam Windows 10 is losing installations in gaming computers, Windows 7 is growing every week, more than 60% of the Steam users are using Windows 7 against the less than 30% of Windows 10 users ...

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/?platform=combined

Im one of those that are thinking of reverting to Windows 7, tired of problems with Windows 10.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Me too - win7 gets better - win10 gets worse especially for us simmers with its updates lately.

denis B

39 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

According to Steam Windows 10 is losing installations in gaming computers, Windows 7 is growing every week, more than 60% of the Steam users are using Windows 7 against the less than 30% of Windows 10 users ...

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/?platform=combined

Im one of those that are thinking of reverting to Windows 7, tired of problems with Windows 10.

The survey is not of the entire user base as far as I’m aware, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Example, I wasn’t surveyed (at least I don’t remember being surveyed). It would be interesting to know how many users were part of the survey.

’Participation in the survey is optional, and anonymous’.

I kind of find the survey useless, because they don’t tell you how many users participated in it. Example, if they say the survey was of 20million users and there is a 20%+ rise in Win7, then that’s relatively meaningful (to an extent).

For all we know, the survey could be 10k users, and well, a 20% rise in Win 7 over just 10k users is not meaningful at all.

Statistics can show whatever you want them to show ;)

7 minutes ago, flightskyc said:

The survey is not of the entire user base as far as I’m aware, so take it with a pinch of salt.

This is true. The survey now includes a whole region not previously counted. Take a look at the language section for clues on where those win 7 boxes are located. Internet cafe's....

41 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

Not quite what it seems. Sean gave a clue above. This from the MP1ST web site (http://mp1st.com/news/steam-survey-reveals-the-most-popular-os-among-gamers):

In October’s Steam hardware and software survey, it was revealed that Windows 7 64-bit was now king. 

What’s the reason for this? Well, it turns out that it’s mostly down to Chinese players wanting in on PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds. With Windows 7 remaining extremely popular in China, and Windows 10 actually being banned from government systems, the influx of Chinese Steam users means the OS’ figures have been given a boost. The language stats also reflect this, with more Chinese-speaking people starting to use the service.

38 minutes ago, bursco said:

Me too - win7 gets better - win10 gets worse especially for us simmers with its updates lately.

How can Windows 7 be getting better? It hasn't had any feature updates or optimisations for over two years - security updates are now all that is gets. Also, most "simmers" don't appear to be having problems with the recent update. If you look at the numbers posting with issues, it's really not very many. I'm not a Windows 10 evangelist (I changed to it reluctantly) but I've had no problems with it and I've installed every non-driver update.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 minutes ago, flightskyc said:

Of course not, and as you i dont remeber of being surveyed, but as any survey, normaly reflects the real numbers with a low margin error. If you check the rest of the statistics they make sense... and this one in particular makes a lot, since this "revertion" started with this 10 updates.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

23 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

Of course not, and as you i dont remeber of being surveyed, but as any survey, normaly reflects the real numbers with a low margin error. If you check the rest of the statistics they make sense... and this one in particular makes a lot, since this "revertion" started with this 10 updates.

Yah but this doesn’t necessarily indicate a drop in windows 10 users. They added a new region in the survey, which had loads of Win 7 users.

That doesn’t mean that Win 10 users are going back to windows 7 at a fast rate, just means they’re now counting more users who happen to be win 7 heavy (i.e. China).

Stats are fun to interpret!

For the record, I’m not a win 10 fanboi, actually a Mac user most of the time.

16 minutes ago, flightskyc said:

Yah but this doesn’t necessarily indicate a drop in windows 10 users. They added a new region in the survey, which had loads of Win 7 users.

That doesn’t mean that Win 10 users are going back to windows 7 at a fast rate, just means they’re now counting more users who happen to be win 7 heavy (i.e. China).

stats are fun to interpret!

For the record, I’m not a win 10 word not allowed, actually a Mac user most of the time.

Thats why i think the Chinese are not dumb ;)

• Upvote 1

Marques

41 minutes ago, rjfry said:

DX12 -WIN10 76%

The only reason that i have win 10 is because of dx12, and i have a bunch of games that run in dx12.. wait, i have one...BF1 and i get better performance in dx11, go figure!

Marques

Well like I've said before make the most of windows 7 while you can it`s joining XP in history, one of the problems with win 10 and 8 to some extent is being able to install apps and much like mobile`s this can sometimes be the problem.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

The only issue I have had since building a new Windows 10 system was Advanced Power Management and Saitek devices. That issue has been resolved by several sources. My experience with Windows 8 on my wife's computer held me back from building a new system three years ago. At that time it was Windows 8. Windows 10 has been a winner for me on my gaming system. Not sure where this "survey" is coming from!

How old is Windows 7 now? When will support be discontinued?

Most of us seem to be out there on the edge.... Latest fastest CPU. Latest fastest GPU. Overclocking. Hunt for the ideal CPU driver. Tweeks with video and .cfg parameters, and on and on and on.  Yes, I am guilty. But my best estimation is it is more me that Windows 10.  

Issue? Isolate, identify, determine fix, then fix.  How many of us really isolate?  Its more throw it all against the wall and see what sticks. And too often we ignore the effects of what does not stick!

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:06 PM, fppilot said:

Hi Frank--I still use W7.

"How old is Windows 7 now? When will support be discontinued?"

Support goes through 2020.

"Issue? Isolate, identify, determine fix, then fix." 

I guess I'm lucky because I don't spend any time isolating, identifying, determining and fixing w7 non-existent issues--I just go simming instead. 

Just one man's opinion, though.

Jay Fleisher from sunny Florida :gaul:

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

2 hours ago, vp49p3 said:

I guess I'm lucky because I don't spend any time isolating, identifying, determining and fixing w7 non-existent issues--I just go simming instead. 

Good point! That is why Windows 10 has been good for me. Have done none of that! Very satisfied! Those that immerse in all of that have issues and start pointing fingers without looking in the mirror.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I still think sometimes Microsoft is blamed for most problems by users, when just like PCs that were unable to upgrade to WIN10 down to the fact hardware and software developers were unwilling to update drivers and software, they were in fact telling you to buy a new PCs that benefits them , and the same will be true in the next few years hardware manufactures will be less inclined to optimise for a dying OS.

Don't be surprised when you see new hardware with win10 recommended OS.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg