Sign in to follow this  
Rickie Welsh

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Hello Everyone.   At present I use FSX running on Windows 7 with numerous addon Airports and PMDG aircraft 737, 777, 747. This is not fixing something which is broke, however, my question is, will FSX successfully operate on Windows 10 as it does on Windows 7.  Many Thanks.  Richard Welsh.

While I havent tried it as I havent used FSX in years, I have not heard people truly complaining. But just keep in mind that FSX is significantly older that Win10 which could always create potential issues.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Hello Brian,  Thanks, your probably right about potential issues.  Cheers. Richard Welsh.

Some say its a downgrade :D if you dont have issues if i where you i would stay on 7 for now!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

I've been using Windows 7 on my flightsim computer. 

I had a new install of Windows 10 (not the free upgrade) put on at one time and it would only allow me to use 3 controllers at a time, so I uninstalled it and re-installed Windows 7, which allows as many controllers as I need (more want than need, I guess).

This may be an issue that has been corrected with Windows 10 in the last year or so of updating, but I'm hesitant to try it again.

The guy that owns the shop that built my computer always asks me when I'm going to update to W10. He says it is more efficient and would run the flightsim better.

2 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Some say its a downgrade :D if you dont have issues if i where you i would stay on 7 for now!

Bad advice if you ask me.

The last chance to get Windows 10 free of charge is by upgrading until the 31st of December.

After that you will have to pay for it. And Windows 7 is nearing the end of it's security support cycle.

8 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Bad advice if you ask me.

The last chance to get Windows 10 free of charge is by upgrading until the 31st of December.

After that you will have to pay for it. And Windows 7 is nearing the end of it's security support cycle.

Bad in your opinion , good in mine, if upgrading to Windows 10 means problems, i would pay not to have it! If hes going to have problems, neither of us know, the only thing we now, is that he doenst has problems now.

And windows 7 is already in extended support, since 2015 until 2020.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:54 PM, dmarques69 said:

Bad in your opinion , good in mine, if upgrading to Windows 10 means problems, i would pay not to have it! If hes going to have problems, neither of us know, the only thing we now, is that he doenst has problems now.

And windows 7 is already in extended support, since 2015 until 2020.

Still using old, old Windows XP on a non-flight sim computer, and have no problems.  Don't care if it's supported as long as it works.

Using W7 for P3dv4. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :cool:

• Upvote 1

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

14 hours ago, richard welsh said:

Hello Everyone.   At present I use FSX running on Windows 7 with numerous addon Airports and PMDG aircraft 737, 777, 747. This is not fixing something which is broke, however, my question is, will FSX successfully operate on Windows 10 as it does on Windows 7.  Many Thanks.  Richard Welsh.

Hi Richard

FSX will certainly run on Win 10. However every now and then a Win 10 update will cause temporary problems. You’ll have to roll back the update until the issue is fixed.

I’ve stuck with Win 7 and have no regrets about that.

ki9cAAb.jpg

11 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Bad in your opinion , good in mine, if upgrading to Windows 10 means problems

This is software we are talking about. Upgrading always yields potential problems. That is the nature of things.

You still get it for free and you can revert back easily if you don't like your results.

But to insist staying on an outdated OS just because there is a probability that there might be problems is foolish. But what can one expect from a community where it is more often than not custom to reinstall the entire system when problems with the sim arise.

I went from Win 7 to Win 10 with FSX-SE about a month ago and have no issues.  Using PMDG, REX, FTX and many other add-ons.

Steve Canham

Hello Guys,   I appreciate your replies varied as they are due to your  opinions.  Will have to think this out. Many Thanks.  Richard Welsh.                                            

6 hours ago, Farlis said:

This is software we are talking about. Upgrading always yields potential problems. That is the nature of things.

You still get it for free and you can revert back easily if you don't like your results.

But to insist staying on an outdated OS just because there is a probability that there might be problems is foolish. But what can one expect from a community where it is more often than not custom to reinstall the entire system when problems with the sim arise.

You know whats the problem with this community? is that you cant have a opinion different from the majority of people...

Being in a outdated OS doenst has any problems as long it fits your needs and you have the conscience that the security updates are going to end on a certain date...not always the new state of the art software or hardware is the way to go...learned that the hard way in more than 20 years of IT...but nevertheless we are talking of windows 7 right? not windows nt! Still the most used OS in the market for gaming computers!

When i see a opinion different from mine i dont like to use terms like foolish, but that's just me...over and out!

Marques

8 hours ago, Farlis said:

Linking this to the erroneous mindset that reinstalling Windows can help fix sim issues is a fallacy. I very much doubt it is "more often than not" that people attempt to fix sim problems with Windows reinstalls either.

Having an outdated operating system is not foolish if your primary aim is to run FSX, an unchanging and unsupported piece of software. If you have a stable FSX installation why risk upsetting that for the sake of keeping up to date with Microsoft? Such updates can and will break compatibility with older software, and if it is unsupported then patches to get it working again are not going to be forthcoming.

If and when addons start to require Win 10 as a minimum then an OS upgrade is essential, until such a time it is an option. It's not an option Microsoft would recommend but they have a vested interest in moving the whole of their customer base onto Win 10.

In the end it comes down to a personal choice to upgrade or not after assessing the pros and cons. Upgrading is not the best choice for everyone.

ki9cAAb.jpg