Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Pope John Paul II has Passed

I am not religious and not a Catholic, but I must note the passing of Pope John Paul II today. The major news organizations are reporting that he has just passed. The Pope was not just a Catholic; he was a man of history. He reached out to more than just the Catholic faith and tried to set a higher bar for mankind than any other world leader in the last 30 years. More than any other man in his role, he conveyed the message of faith, not just to Catholics, but to the entire world. It is my belief that regardless of your faith, Pope John Paul II touched all of us. We lost a world leader this sorrowful day.

Thank you Tom for putting it so succinctly in few sentences. I might add he contributed greatly to the demise of communism in my home country of Poland and hence to the demise of communism in the rest of the eastern block.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

I was contemplating whether I could post it or not. Thanks for allowing this.As a Roman Catholic Christian, John Paul II, The Bishop of Rome, has touched my life deeply.He has brought back the values that I personally believe, and has set so many examples in his life and in his death that they are transcendent of all religion & nations.He was a leader that the world surely needed in this time, from the cold war, to the fall of communism, and especially to his support of all life, something I personally hold dear myself.AVE MARIA, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen. HAIL, MARY, full of grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, *******. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.Rest in Peace John Paul II.Vatican Bulletin:http://www.vatican.va/gpII/bulletin/B0183-XX.01.pdfSabato, 02.04.2005 N. 0183Pubblicazione: ImmediataSommario:

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

That he most certainly did. History will argue this for years to come, but that may well have been his greatest, single, accomplishment. The next Pope has tremendously large shoes to fill.

Guest Dominik Mann

While I, like Tom, am not particularly religious either and, in fact, disagree with many of the Catholic Church's positions I would like to express my deep respect for a man of whom I am sure that he was devoted to his duties and sincere in his beliefs like few others have ever been. His composure and strength has been exceptional, even while his health deteriorated, as was his courage in the face of his imminent departure. His was definitely a voice of reason no one could possibly have ignored, even if one did not agree with his words. May he rest in peace, yet live on in the memories of all whose life he touched, one way or another.

http://www.vatican.va/gpII/bulletin/B0184-XX.02.pdf! TRADUZIONE IN LINGUA INGLESEThe Holy Father died at 9.37 this evening in his private apartment.At 8 p.m. the celebration of Mass for Divine Mercy Sunday began in the Holy Father's room, presided by Archbishop Stanis

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Thanks Tom for recognizing this great man. In 1984 I was touring Italy, and heard that John Paul II was going to be giving White Sunday mass at St. Peters. I didn't pass up the chance to see such a great person--but what was even more impressive were the 50,000 people who came to see the mass--people of all faiths and tongues who simply wanted to hear a great man speak. I have a couple of faded photographs of that service--one of the Pope as he passed in procession by where I was standing, and another of the blessing that followed in St. Peter's square. It was one of those events I would remember for a lifetime, as well as the devotion that people of all faiths showed this man.Regards,JohnEdit,They are not very good, and faded after twenty-one years, but here's my own memory of Pope John Paul IIhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/111176.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/111177.jpg

Guest paddy

We may call Pope John Paul II "The flying Pope". More than anyone of his predecessors, he flew a tremendous number of nm to visit his people all over the world! Today these "John Paul II flights" has been stopped definitely....Paddy.

Guest adameke777

>We may call Pope John Paul II "The flying Pope". SO TRUE !It is well known that little Karol Wojtyla wanted to be a pilot. An anectode (for those able to read Polish, see http://miasta.gazeta.pl/krakow/1,48860,1711937.html)In 1927, shortly after Charles Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic, someone asked little Karol Wojtyla:- What do you want to be ?- I'm gonna be a pilot! responded the boy- Why not a priest ? - While it is possible for a Pole to become a "second Lindbergh", it is impossible for him to become a pope.Adam

>>We may call Pope John Paul II "The flying Pope". >In 1927, shortly after Charles Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic,>someone asked little Karol Wojtyla:>- What do you want to be ?>- I'm gonna be a pilot! responded the boy>- Why not a priest ? >- While it is possible for a Pole to become a "second>Lindbergh", it is impossible for him to become a pope.Is this story true? Karol Wojtyla was 7 in 1927. For a 7 year old boy to utter such a sentence would be astonishing in my opinion. But if this is true then this got to be most unique little detail from his childhood.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Up to 300,000 people in Plac Pi

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest jetstar230

EDIT: Profanity and total lack of sense in this posting. Your account has been closed. Let us worry about what is appropriate or not.