Sign in to follow this  
Mike777

Kai Tak/VHHX (Old Hong Kong) now in Navigraph airac data

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to draw attention to this thread, reporting the inclusion of Kai Tak/VHHX (Old Hong Kong) in Navigraph's airacs, beginning with  Airac 1712. 

I've tested it with the PMDG 777-300ER and it works.  No more editing of navdata files each time a new airac is released!

Thanks to Jock McIntyre and Martin Stewart for their past and present work on Kai Tak, and to Richard Stephan of Navigraph.

Mike

• Upvote 3

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

29 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to draw attention to this thread, reporting the inclusion of Kai Tak/VHHX (Old Hong Kong) in Navigraph's airacs, beginning with  Airac 1712. 

I've tested it with the PMDG 777-300ER and it works.  No more editing of navdata files each time a new airac is released!

Thanks to Jock McIntyre and Martin Stewart for their past and present work on Kai Tak, and to Richard Stephan of Navigraph.

Mike

For a while, there has been an installer floating around the internet that would install the required NavData for Kai Tak for PMDG products and the Aerosoft A320.  The downside of this program was that it had to be run after every AIRAC update and would only work with the above-mentioned addons.  It's great to finally see Kai Tak apart of the full AIRAC installer and be available for a much larger variety of aircraft.

Edited by Guest
Clarification.

On 11/10/2017 at 10:27 PM, VHOEI said:

For a while, there has been an installer floating around the internet that would install the required NavData for Kai Tak for PMDG products and the Aerosoft A320.  The downside of this program was that it had to be run after every AIRAC update and would only work with the above-mentioned addons.  It's great to finally see Kai Tak apart of the full AIRAC installer and be available for a much larger variety of aircraft.

Yes Jock McIntyre's site, VAPAP.com, has installers for  PMDG and for Aerosoft's A320 for Navigraph.  He and his associate Martin Stewart contributed the data that Navigraph is now using.  Now anyone using Navigraph can automatically have VHHX available for a wide variety of aircraft.

For people using Aerosoft's Navdata service, the data is not available AFAIK.  Jock's installer for PMDG is available for them.  There are still manual instructions for PMDG, which can be adapted for other addons for those who want to delve into other navdata files and edit them. 

Jock also has an AFCAD for VHHX for people who do not have Kai Tak scenery.  Please note that the Navdata does not install or affect scenery in any way.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

This is great, I’ll definitely need to by flytampa’s VHHX and practice dodging buildings on approach!

Dave Reage

• Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

3 minutes ago, regis9 said:

This is great, I’ll definitely need to by flytampa’s VHHX and practice dodging buildings on approach!

Hi Dave,

Unless you have a really weird scenery issue, buildings should not pop up in your flight path!:smile:

Mike

• Upvote 2

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hah yeah, more worried about my piloting skills.  I’m almost embarrassed to say, but i’ve never flown that approach in all my years of simming

Dave Reage

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

Hah yeah, more worried about my piloting skills.  I’m almost embarrassed to say, but i’ve never flown that approach in all my years of simming

If you've ever flown JFK's parkway visual to runway 13 left or right, think that's close enough. That one requires a 90-degree right turn in, whereas Kai Tak only requires a 47-degree right turn for the IGS runway 13.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

7 hours ago, regis9 said:

6 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

If you've ever flown JFK's parkway visual to runway 13 left or right, think that's close enough. That one requires a 90-degree right turn in, whereas Kai Tak only requires a 47-degree right turn for the IGS runway 13

You can also try the KDCA 19 approaches - River Visual, two LDAs  and an RNAV approach - "only" 38-40 degree low altitude turn onto final, but still very challenging. 

https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KDCA/IAP/all/pdf

For a greater challenge, try various cross-winds.  As it  happens, I flew the DCA 19 approach as a passenger Tuesday evening - the pilot made it look pretty easy although he kind of jerked the brakes on and the reverse thrust seemed rather late to me. 

At Kai Tak I've always found the runway threshold to be difficult to see until after the turn is nearly completed, but lately I've found that following the leadin lights very closely -- keeping them centered -- is a great help.  I use the GS indicator on the LDA even after the turn, until I have visual on the runway.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I still think one of the hardest approaches is the 02R approach into SBRJ (Santos Dumont, Rio). Left hand pattern over the city, then descend over the hills while still turning left over Flamengo beach/Botafogo, short of Sugar Loaf mountain, then onto a short runway surrounded by water. Probably much easier to do in a real plane with natural visibility and seat of the pants feel.

Sean Campbell 

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This seems to have gone now from the Charts provided by Navigraph.

Is it just the AIRAC data they provide for Kai Tak ?

38 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

This seems to have gone now from the Charts provided by Navigraph.

Is it just the AIRAC data they provide for Kai Tak ?

Pretty sure it's just the AIRAC data they provide for it. They never provided the charts for it.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

About time. Never understood why they removed it... This is a simulation world, it's not the real thing and it's just one of the best approaches ever.

Anyway, problem solved, i'm happy!

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Nope, i didn't, hence my surprise. Tired too, didn't even notice this was a dig-up.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11