Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

FO not handling ATC - PF3 & XP11

PF3 connects fine with XP11 and MCE, and I can use voice myself to communicate with PF3 ATC once Freq per Hint dialogue is dialled in, butw when I ask the FO to handle ATC, he acknowledges but says nothing. He also adjust the radio randomly to a frequency which doesn't seem to exist in the Hints dialogue and then doesn't say anything to ATC.

I have Closed Captions checked.

Is there anyway to keep the Closed Captions dialogue displayed permanantly or should I now turn it off and let the FO read from the log file, as mentioned somewhere in another post.

Can you give any advice on how to get the FO handling Comms with PF3?

Regards,

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

1 hour ago, STUART_H said:

PF3 connects fine with XP11 and MCE, and I can use voice myself to communicate with PF3 ATC once Freq per Hint dialogue is dialled in, butw when I ask the FO to handle ATC, he acknowledges but says nothing. He also adjust the radio randomly to a frequency which doesn't seem to exist in the Hints dialogue and then doesn't say anything to ATC.

I have Closed Captions checked.

Is there anyway to keep the Closed Captions dialogue displayed permanantly or should I now turn it off and let the FO read from the log file, as mentioned somewhere in another post.

Can you give any advice on how to get the FO handling Comms with PF3?

Regards,

Stuart

Take time to reads this thread carefully:

For instance, on ground, FO doesn't take the initiative to request clearance, taxi or takeoff, even when he has the COMMs.

To prevent him rushing you into thinghs you aren't ready for, you must explicitly ask him...

Obtain ATC clearance

Request ATC clearance

Obtain taxi clearance

Request taxi clearance

Obtain takeoff clearance

Request takeoff clearance.

Assuming he has the COMMS, he'll acknowledge whatever clearance provided he can "see" the closed captions. Either as read by fsInsider.dll in-sim or via the new "Clearance.log" text file (which only applies to PF3, not older PFE).

Thanks for that. Didn't realise the FO doesn't instigate Comms with ATC when on the ground, unlike with RC4.

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Thanks for all the advice, managed to interact with PF3 ATC with Closed Captions turned off, and FO handled Comms after takeoff.

Flight started OK, and after takeoff PF3 ATC advised "resume own navigation".  However that was the last I heard from PF3, no hand overs etc en route, no advice to commence descent. FO requested Approach clearance when with 40 miles but nothing from ATC. It just seemed to have died!  Had to descend, approach and land without any clearance advice at all.

Although I like various aspects of PF3, with regret I think I shall just have to fall back to RC4. Whilst it is no longer in development and has a number of short comings, at least it's reliable. 

Shame,

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

24 minutes ago, STUART_H said:

Thanks for all the advice, managed to interact with PF3 ATC with Closed Captions turned off, and FO handled Comms after takeoff.

Flight started OK, and after takeoff PF3 ATC advised "resume own navigation".  However that was the last I heard from PF3, no hand overs etc en route, no advice to commence descent. FO requested Approach clearance when with 40 miles but nothing from ATC. It just seemed to have died!  Had to descend, approach and land without any clearance advice at all.

Although I like various aspects of PF3, with regret I think I shall just have to fall back to RC4. Whilst it is no longer in development and has a number of short comings, at least it's reliable. 

Shame,

Stuart

It's probably just a case of being used to the other one so much that you're probably finding it hard to adapt to the change (age doesn't help either).

I guess, it works the same the other way.

To each his own.

If for some reason you lost the last frequency to switch to, which can cause the scenario you experienced, ask co-pilot "confirm last atc instruction" or "confirm last atc clearance".

Just like in the real world, when flying manually, FO is expected to dial frequencies, assigned altitude, speed limit. When on auto-pilot, he expects you to do that yourself as the pilot flying.

There is an option in "mce.ini" if you want Fo to always dial stuff.

[ATC]

FoAlwaysDialsVHF=1

FoAlwaysDialsAfs=1

Add the options above and Fo will be handling ATC similar to RC4 apart from when on ground when you need to initiate the request for clearance, taxi and Takeoff.

That way, you reduce the chance of missing the next frequency and struggling to get back in touch.

And of course there is the little issue of whether the aircraft you're flying in X-Plane is fully supported with regards FO handling MCP (or FCU) and other bits.

As real pilots do, you have to keep an eye on what FO is doing and not just assume the software has to do it perfectly and every single time.

In the real world, captains have to occasionally step in when the rookie Fo eventually forgets to acknowledge or doesn't recall the frequency he was supposed to switch to.

PF3 has a list of expected frequencies for your flight, before it even starts.

A good start is to either open that file or print it out.

Didn't know about it myself until recently.

Go to \X-Plane\ installation folder. You'll find a folder named <PF3_display>.

A file inside it named "PF3_freqs.dat", which you can open using Notepad, lists various frequencies PF3 will be using.

41 minutes ago, STUART_H said:

Shame,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I’m not on XP, but im having similar issues as you. I’ve not worked out what’s causing it, but I get the feeling that PF3 is expecting some form of readback/check-in or something and isn’t seeing it. As a result the whole comms process falls over between MCE and PF3 as PF3 is still waiting for a response from the initial comms.

Rob

Thanks FSS++,

I wasn't aware of those settings re FO always setting radios.

Perhaps I'll give PF3 another go, after making those changes.

I was flying Peter's Aircraft A320-214 which is one of the XP supported aircraft.

However, as Helix mentions there may also be something else going on. I'll have a look at the PF3 logs to see whether they just stopped.

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

I have pretty much the same problem as Stuart. I contacted Dave on the PFE3 forum http://www.ocs-support.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2741

I seem to be just a couple of paces behind getting voice recognition to work. I confess to being not the sharpest tool in the shed, but the instructions regarding voice recognition appear a little contradictory..is the following correct....to be able to use voice recognition whereby you can speak to ATC and then have the FO take over, then pilots voice must be set (not none) and co pilot mode set to 1 or 2, with auto mute set?

11 hours ago, jimble said:

I have pretty much the same problem as Stuart. I contacted Dave on the PFE3 forum http://www.ocs-support.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2741

I seem to be just a couple of paces behind getting voice recognition to work. I confess to being not the sharpest tool in the shed, but the instructions regarding voice recognition appear a little contradictory..is the following correct....to be able to use voice recognition whereby you can speak to ATC and then have the FO take over, then pilots voice must be set (not none) and co pilot mode set to 1 or 2, with auto mute set?

PF3 interfacing has changed significantly over the last 6 months. Here is the new modus operandi

For instance, now, you no longer need to have the PF3 FO involved. When you hand him the COMMS, the PF3 VCP mode is no longer changed.

Make sure you install latest MCE V2.7.4.0

Ralph (see thread above) is the ,man keeping an eye on the subject and being able to spot when something is broken in the interfacing.

Haven't updated to latest PF3. Will do so soon.

12 hours ago, FS++ said:

PF3 interfacing has changed significantly over the last 6 months. Here is the new modus operandi

Haven't updated to latest PF3. Will do so soon.

Do I understand that this is the reason why I have the same problem as the other guys in this topic?

MCE 2.7.4.0

Thank you and Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

9 hours ago, DrumsArt said:

Do I understand that this is the reason why I have the same problem as the other guys in this topic?

MCE 2.7.4.0

Thank you and Regards,

No, Stuart is on X-Plane.

But the same changes that were made for the FSX/P3D version have been applied to the MCE X-Plane edition.

What issue if any do you have. My understanding you're on P3D V4.

FSUIPC V5 has changed recently (The kind of window it displays uses a different name from the usual one you see in FSX or FS9). As a result of that fsInsider64.dll had to be adjusted so it can track that window. Changes are already in latest.

What issue if any do you have with reghards MCE + PF3 under P3D V4?

On 14/11/2017 at 11:17 AM, FS++ said:

No, Stuart is on X-Plane.

But the same changes that were made for the FSX/P3D version have been applied to the MCE X-Plane edition.

What issue if any do you have. My understanding you're on P3D V4.

FSUIPC V5 has changed recently (The kind of window it displays uses a different name from the usual one you see in FSX or FS9). As a result of that fsInsider64.dll had to be adjusted so it can track that window. Changes are already in latest.

What issue if any do you have with reghards MCE + PF3 under P3D V4?

Hi,

It seems also Helix1250 is not on XP. You are correct, I'm on P3Dv4.1 with last MCE version, last PF3 version and last FSUIPC version, FsLabs A320 last version.

My copilot no longer handles coms. Example: I ask him for IFR clearance, the Fo does it correctly, PF3 give the clearance but the Fo does not acknowledge receipt. In fact the communication seems to be done correctly MCE towards PF3 but it fails in the direction PF3 to MCE. Fo does not receive instructions from PF3.

Thank you and Regards,

EDIT : If you prefer, I can open a new topic...

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

10 hours ago, DrumsArt said:

Hi,

It seems also Helix1250 is not on XP. You are correct, I'm on P3Dv4.1 with last MCE version, last PF3 version and last FSUIPC version, FsLabs A320 last version.

My copilot no longer handles coms. Example: I ask him for IFR clearance, the Fo does it correctly, PF3 give the clearance but the Fo does not acknowledge receipt. In fact the communication seems to be done correctly MCE towards PF3 but it fails in the direction PF3 to MCE. Fo does not receive instructions from PF3.

Thank you and Regards,

EDIT : If you prefer, I can open a new topic...

OK will check in P3D V4.

May want to copy your last post and paste it to this once, so that all PF3 related issues are in one place.

2 hours ago, FS++ said:

OK will check in P3D V4.

May want to copy your last post and paste it to this once, so that all PF3 related issues are in one place.

Ok, understood. Thank you Gerald.

Regards,

Richard Portier

12 hours ago, FS++ said:

OK will check in P3D V4.

Last minute ... I had not used PF3 for many weeks (I was on VoxAtc).

I just reuse PF3 with MCE, the problem is to have done with the A320 FsLabs. In fact it does not work properly with this aircraft.

I just redo a test with Realair Lancair. MCE + PF3 work well. So, it seems FsLabs A320+PF3+MCE don't work.

Regards,

Richard Portier