Sign in to follow this  
19AB67

[FSX] Challenge high altitude landing at MMMX

Hi folks, 

I just landed a MMMX runway 05R after KLM's classic 1954 flight plan comming in from MMMY (2:05 flight time). 

Wow, landing at that altitude -- elevation 7316ft -- is quite a challenge! 

Not too heavy with 80k lbs I almost crashed losing height and speed too early -- couldn't gain both with a proper engine setting that quickly.

What are correct power settings here?

Several times I killed the engines and had to repair them by 4 mouse clicks in the air...

8^(         8^#

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

There shouldn't be any noticeable changes from approaches at low altitude. You fly the same KIAS with the same power settings, configurations, and weights as you would at sea level. The only difference is you will have a higher ground speed for any air speed, and therefore your ground roll will be much greater on landing. For any given descent/climb rate, your angle will be more shallow, but the DC-6 is like any other aircraft, it should have no problem following a 3 degree path.

Robert Toten

On 11/11/2017 at 8:32 PM, randomTOTEN said:

The only difference is you will have a higher ground speed for any air speed

Thanks Robert. 

Will try again. 

Andreas Berg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

Hello Andreas!

Lloyd Aereo Boliviano (LAB) used to fly DC-6's regularly from La Paz, Bolivia (SLLP). The airport there (used to be called El Alto) is located at 13,300 ft (4000 m) ASL.

Try that airport at some point. You have to be extremely careful with the take off weight, otherwise, it is impossible to start a climb. A good read of the turbo chargers section of the manuals is a good idea.

You can fly to Cochabamba (SLCB) which was the technical base of LAB and is located at 8300 ft ASL, or to Sucre (SLSU) 9500 ft ASL, or Tarija (SLTJ) at 6100 ft. ASL (SLSU is now closed and Alcantari SLAL has replaced it, but still fun to try).

Each flight  is over or across the Andes mountains with great views along the way.

Enjoy!

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

On 17/11/2017 at 2:28 AM, r_stopnicki said:

Each flight  is over or across the Andes mountains with great views along the way.

Will do and report (if I succeed....   8^)

Andreas Berg