Sign in to follow this  
simaddict

Learning Center/Lessons are WAY Better than FSW!

Hey, All! Has anyone compared the standard FSX "learning center"/lessons to DTG FSW? As a private pilot, I think the FSW lessons are an insult, and quite comical, to be honest. Therefore, didn't anyone notice that "DTG Flight School" was a complete waste of time? The FSX Learning Center Lessons are so much more realistic! 

Mike.

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

As a private pilot, the lessons were not meant for you. :emu_melk:

Thats kind of like a college mathematics professor scoffing at a first grade arithmetic primer.

• Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, simaddict said:

"DTG Flight School" was a complete waste of time?

Mike.

I think you're forgetting that the G of DTG stands for Games. It being sold on Steam is enough of an indication of that too of course .

Their Flight School game was essentially a 64 bit proof of concept try out for the subsequent Flight Sim World, which it is now part of. Sure it's a flight sim, but, it's a game, not a means to provide real world comparable training, and that is a deliberate choice legally too, because no game developer wants to knock out 'realistic lessons' as part of a sim's content claimed capability, leaving them open to have some pillock do those lessons and then kill themself in a real aeroplane, then have that pillock's relatives taking legal action because of it. Remember, we live in a litigious world where the thing on my signature in this forum is absolutely genuine for that very reason.

ThIs doesn't mean someone couldn't do some more realistic lessons using FSW's mission creation tool, but it'd be their lookout, and it'd have to have suitable 'not for real world training' disclaimers all over it.

DTG's aim with FSW therefore, is to provide a base platform with more advanced capabilities than FSX at its core (I.e. the 3D trueSky weather, the interactive cockpit checklists, the PBR support, built in AccuFeel, updated nav data, online sharing of user lessons and missions etc) leaving the development of content to third parties. So whilst the lessons are reasonably okay, they are really more an illustration of what can be done. 

And that is what FSW is well on the way with, the first step was Flight School, the next step was commencing development of Flight Sim World, but remember, it isn't finished yet. And it's up to TPD's to pick up the ball and run with it once it is finished.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, simaddict said:

Therefore, didn't anyone notice that "DTG Flight School" was a complete waste of time? The FSX Learning Center Lessons are so much more realistic! 

It might be important to provide some specific reasons why they were a waste of time for you, or at least more background on your thoughts rather than a colorful opinion with little to no context whatsoever.

It's been ages since I've tried an FSX lesson or mission, but I did horse around with the FSW lessons as a way to give the product a fair shake (*since I don't have an interest in flying the available aircraft otherwise). Yes, some seemed basic, but I wasn't put off by them. In fact, if I put myself in the shoes of a complete simulation novice, I think I might have just appreciated them.

What gave you the impression that they were worse than the FSX lessons? (*honest question!)

-Greg

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

As a private pilot, the lessons were not meant for you. :emu_melk:

Thats kind of like a college mathematics professor scoffing at a first grade arithmetic primer.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Because I think the FSX standard lessons are the same, better actually, without the injected DRAMA, while based on the same lesson. Check it out for yourself.

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB