Sign in to follow this  
pinepix62

Changing approach - VNAV will not engage

Learning the Q400 and FMS but I am a bit stuck.

I started by programming a RNAV approach into KEGE  and entered a VNAV profile that worked but I ended up to high.

I decided to try a VOR approach and started from a saved profile before the TOD. I cancelled the existing VNAV profile, selected the new approach and tried to set up the VNAV again. Everything worked fine and the FMS calculated the new TOD. I set up the AP to fly the FMS plan with Alt hold. As the TOD came closer however the vertical guidance marks on the PDF never appeared and pressing VNAV as I got to the TOD did nothing.

I tried to disengage and re-engage the AP, changing to source to VOR and back to FMS1 but nothing seems to resolve the problem.

What am I missing?

Johan Pienaar

Please don't take this as an insult but did you reset your altitude when trying both times? I made this mistake before.

Fly safe

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

Thanks for the reply. Tried again making sure I set the approach altitude well in advance. The FMS calculates the TOD and seems to give all the right messages but the vertical steering indicators (in magenta, like the ILS indicators) never show up on the PFD and pressing the VNAV button does nothing.

Johan Pienaar

Try not starting from a saved profile. After takeoff and reached set altitude (ex. FL270), set VNAV profile. Never set VNAV the same time as setting up waypoints/Flight plan.

Fly safe

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC