Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Wrong heading on EHSI - why?

Ray - Looks like you found my thread from back in the day.

I have noticed that if the engine is started before the plane moves, there isn't a heading sync problem.

What's odd, this is the only Carenado plane that has this problem. I don't encounter heading sync issues with the 9 other products I own from them. I also have the gyro drift turned off (unchecked) and I still have this problem, as well as the requirement to adjust the sync (by pressing D) every 100 or so nautical miles in the air. It'll still drift 2-3 degrees.

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Bob,

Maybe if it's your primary aircraft. As I said earlier I have EFB which gives me navigation info and a whole lot more on a separate display running WideFS.EFB

I notice the terrain data is only for Nth America too. Each to their own. :wink:

It comes with a Worldwide database.. some things like airport approach charts are North America only..

Your call.. :happy:

Bert

@softreset, yes Mark it was your post. I should have searched first. :smile:

Now that I’m aware of the issue I’ll continue to check for it. Strange that the problem continues even with drift disabled. I can probably live with 2-3 degrees but not 90! :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

It comes with a Worldwide database.. some things like airport approach charts are North America only..

Your call.. :happy:

For that price I would expect worldwide coverage of everything. I’ll give it a miss thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I too have noticed the heading gyro drift with P3D gyro drift off in the realism settings. I know I’m slipping into the Real World here, but aren’t the AHRS “slave” switches supposed to sync the heading gyro with the magnetic compass? Carenado/Alabeo have done this with their other aircraft, notably the Alabeo Titan c404. I wonder what part of the software code addresses this?

Lantz

12 hours ago, LZScout said:

I too have noticed the heading gyro drift with P3D gyro drift off in the realism settings. I know I’m slipping into the Real World here, but aren’t the AHRS “slave” switches supposed to sync the heading gyro with the magnetic compass? Carenado/Alabeo have done this with their other aircraft, notably the Alabeo Titan c404. I wonder what part of the software code addresses this?

Lantz

You can just write a line of code that checks for HSI vs Compass heading and reset it,  if different..

Bert

Easier said than done Bert. You're the master with this stuff. I'm assuming you are talking about a line of code inserted in the aircraft.cfg file? what would the format be?

Lantz

2 hours ago, LZScout said:

Easier said than done Bert. You're the master with this stuff. I'm assuming you are talking about a line of code inserted in the aircraft.cfg file? what would the format be?

Lantz

No, that would have to be inside a gauge... sorry..

In this case, the EHSI gauge would be a good place.

Something like:

(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, degrees) flr (A:PLANE HEADING DEGREES MAGNETIC, degrees) flr != if{ 1 (>K:HEADING_GYRO_SET) }

Translated:  If the Gyro Heading and Magnetic Heading differ by more than a fraction, reset the Gyro Heading.

Bert

Hi Folks,

Yep - RW - Directional Gyros need to be reset (gyroscopic precession) continually especially when making many substantial heading changes - slaved HSI's usually once before flight... The slaved HSI can have no compass input which requires it to be manually set for each flight while it compensates for errors once set... I don't know how this works with glass HSI's...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I believe this can be fixed by changing a value in the aircraft.cfg:

direction_indicator.0 = 1,0 -> 3,0

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else