Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

P3D v4 vs 4.1 Performance Question

Has anyone else seen performance seem to tank upgrading from 4 to 4.1?  I feel like I have a lot lower frame rates in general with more studdering than I ever had in 4.0.  Just wondering if a fresh clean install is worth to see if that makes a difference.  I jumped on 4.0 early on so there was alot of addon updates that have been installed along with the main 4.1 update followed by more addon updates.  I'm thinking a fresh 4.1 install with native 4.1 addons might help?  Just thinking out loud here...

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

I had no perceived difference between 4.0 and 4.1.  i updated client and content.

Dan Downs KCRP

Performance seems a tad better in V4.x for me.  I'd check your DLL.XML and EXE.XML files and make sure you don't have duplicate entries (especially if you run Carenado aircraft).

When I run into long frame issues (aka stutters) it's almost always something to do with a recent add-on install.  For example, one 3rd party add-on airport used real flyable aircraft for their AI Traffic models which triggered long frames on my system.

Cheers, Rob.

Somethings definitely not right.  I literally turned off every slider and only gained 4fps at jfk.  No weather, dayling, everything to the left or unchecked.  Everything maxed out to the right average fps was 15-16fps.  Everything ff is averaging about 19fps.  I think tomorrow I'll go with a reinstall and wipe everything clean.  MT6 seemed to be the highest hit for FPS.  Normally I run MT at 20% GA and Airliner, turning that off gained me another 5fps.  Something just doesn't feel right with my specs, especially with having 0 issues in 4.0.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Just try deleting your cfg file before reinstalling.  

It seems obvious at this point, are you running latest GPU drivers?

I found my performance was not good when I upgraded to 4.1, and updating drivers (clean start, without keeping old settings) solved my problem.

J.C.

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Microsoft Flight Simulator - i7 7700k 5.0 gHz - EVGA 1080ti FTW3 - G.Skill RipJaws 3200 MHz 32GB

3.5 was much smoother for me. After upgrading to a gtx 1080ti (4790k), reinstalling w10, p3d, much tweaking, going back to 1080p from 4k, I finally found a definitive solution, for now at least.

I completely removed p3d and all addons. No cfg tweaks, no stutters, no FFTF, no AM worries. Lovely.

We'll see what coming years bring. It is possible to have a smooth flightsim, I know this because DCS A-10C is pegged at my refresh rate of 60 @4k all the time, even with my lowly 980ti that I used before the 1080ti.

Hope you get it sorted out though.

-Roland

So a few interesting few tidbits....I have not reinstalled yet.  I took Tony's recommendation and deleted the p3d config.  That got my daytime FPS back to the 35-45 average around the NYC area with about 18% MT6 traffic levels.  Nighttime is still horrendous though.  Unflyable.  Bounced all over from 5fps to 20 and back again.  In FI VR the FPS is at the 5fps actual, 25 ASW frame rate for those interested.  This is sitting in the VC of the FSL A320.  If it turn off dynamic lighting - its a whole new sim.  Standard FPS is around 25/30 and FI VR is 30/90 which is super silky smooth.  

All in all I think I'll just have to deal with the lack of dynamic lighting.  I tried all sorts of AA levels and settings with no change except for the worse (dreaded SXAA).  Maybe I'll still reinstall at one point when I'm ready for now though, I'll stick with what works.  Honestly the DL isn't that big a deal, I just wish landing lights were still able to illuminate the ground.   Oh well.  If anyone has any DL tips I'm all ears :)

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

3 minutes ago, pegruder said:

Oh well.  If anyone has any DL tips I'm all ears :)

What is your AA setting in P3D?

Any level of SSAA, even 2xSSAA will kill your sim with DL. I have DLs with 8XMSAA and things are fine.

J.C.

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Microsoft Flight Simulator - i7 7700k 5.0 gHz - EVGA 1080ti FTW3 - G.Skill RipJaws 3200 MHz 32GB

22 hours ago, jacf182 said:

What is your AA setting in P3D?

Any level of SSAA, even 2xSSAA will kill your sim with DL. I have DLs with 8XMSAA and things are fine.

Running only 4x MSAA.  I've read a ton of stories related to the SSAA so I haven't touched any of that.  I never had any DL issues prior to 4.1.  At this point I'm just satisfied with a butter smooth experience with the DL off.  Honestly, the only part I think I miss of the DL is the way the landing/taxi lights come on when I flick my Goflight switches.  Other than that it isn't the biggest deal.  

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS