Sign in to follow this  
Jamrom23T

Looking for Airport diagram for Brookhaven (KHWV), Long Island

I have been working the past 2 months creating replacement airports for Long Island, NY.  So far I've completed Bayport and Mattituck.  I'd love to get these out there for anyone flying in the New York/Long Island scenery areas to use.

I'm 85% complete with Brookhaven....BUT I can't find a damn thing on any airport diagram for the taxiways.   So far it's looking good and will be a massive improvement to the disaster that is included with P3D and all previous version of the same.  But aside from driving there, and asking for a personal tour of the gorunds... which I can imagine will fly as good as a lead balloon with security... I have nothing to go on aside from trying to see what is on Google Earth.

If anyone has anything on this nice, medium sized airport... can you please post it?  In return.. well.. you can soon fly in and out of it... LOL!

Thanks!

JR

sneak peak.... ;)

Lot more image clean-up, trees, taxiway sign placement/assignment, and building adjustment to do.

All scenery objects are either stock, or placed from the ORBX Library using SimDirector.

vivE37t.jpg

well.. heck... here's the other two as well... ;)   

Mattituck needs more fine tuning as well... and seasonal trees still...but I'll get there eventually.   It's nice to have these airports to fly in and out of as part of the scenery.  I also have Fisher's Island, Rose, Talmadge, and Westmoreland Private fields on my radar.  Basically, everything other than KHTO and KFOK will be done eventually as time permits.

Best, 

JR

ywLvoBu.jpg

rd4vN6u.jpg

I'm sure that you probably saw the KHWV ILS chart. It also has an inset which shows a small rendering of the airport and taxiways:

https://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/current/NE-2/hwv_ils_or_loc_rwy_06.pdf?_ga=2.18101306.2097088174.1510523142-1359051588.1510523142

Mid-Island Air Service has a slightly larger version of the same diagram:

http://www.midislandair.com/COMPANY-INFO/Locations.php#location2

but between that and Google Maps you should be able to figure everything out. I doubt that the taxiway labeling has changed much from the stock FSX/P3d version

There is no FAA diagram for this airport. Anyway, the other possibility is to contact Savik and Murray, the consulting firm that oversaw the most recent updates to the airport. Here's a diagram from their website:

BROOKHAVEN_CALABRO_AIRPORT.jpg

http://www.savikandmurray.com/

Also, if you plan on distributing the airports, you can't include an ORBX objects, as per their instructions on their website.

57 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

There is no FAA diagram for this airport. Anyway, the other possibility is to contact Savik and Murray, the consulting firm that oversaw the most recent updates to the airport. Here's a diagram from their website:

BROOKHAVEN_CALABRO_AIRPORT.jpg

http://www.savikandmurray.com/

Oh ok. That makes sense.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Also, if you plan on distributing the airports, you can't include an ORBX objects, as per their instructions on their website.

Just curious... why not?  I'm not distributing their library at all.. SimDirector only creates a .BGL that points to the library object if it is loaded... if you don't have it.. nothing displays.  Doesn't ADE do the same thing with all the FSX/P3D library objects?

First I'm not selling anything.. it will be for free....2nd - I'm not including any objects other that what YOU the user have loaded already.  I'd be hard pressed to think they'd have an issue with this... seeing I'm basically helping sell their product in a way... without purchase of their library the airport will be empty.  If you purchase the library, it will display as it should.  In a way, a little free marketing for ORBX.

Next thing you know Google Maps, and the like will restrict us from using their data in SBuilderX to make backgrounds.  

JR

Thank you for all the info... as it has been mentioned, and I tried as well, there doesn't seem to be anything available to the public regarding KHWV diagrams.

A guy I work with actually Manages the smaller fueling FBO there, I'll see if he has any charts or diagrams.   

The stock airport is a mess... it's misisng taxiway 'F' as well as has no labels for many of the connecting taxiways between the runways.  The ILS hold lines are missing, as well as many hold-short lines.. and countless other things.  Hopefully I can get the info and fix it all.

JR

Wow... says you can't 'call' the scenery, which is exactly what SimDirector does...that's a real bummer...  so much for covering these airports the easy way.    

Sorry guys.  I have no idea how to model, nor do I have the time in my life to even attempt it.

JR

I agree that the policy seems a bit restrictive, but basically ORBX doesn't want a whole bunch of freeware competing with their products (or potential products). I found this out about this policy a few years ago when I was creating a version of KILM for personal use. I spent a lot of time on it, including modeling the various airport buildings. But I included a few ORBX models and that stopped me from uploading the airport for others to use.

Actually, modeling buildings and simple objects (as opposed to aircraft) is pretty straightforward with SketchUp, which is freeware. You also have GMax and Blender, but although  free, they are more complicated to learn (and also a lot more powerful). There is a freeware airport lighting app (AFLT) that helps with adding non-stock lights. But the big limitation is that you need a version of Photoshop to do textures for your models. Some people will recommend freeware paint apps, but I've never been a fan of those.

Lastly, there are a number of freeware object libraries that are available for download on AVSim and also other flight sim websites.

3 hours ago, Jamrom23T said:

The ILS hold lines are missing, as well as many hold-short lines.

Those are visible on Google Maps. Capture a screenshot, save it in a paint app in a standard format like jpg and then add in to your ADE file.

Thanks for the advice.   I'm on vacation next week, after knocking down all the honey do list issues, maybe I'll take a look at modeling. For the longest time, Long Island has been left out of many scenery packs and upgrades.  It has almost no user designed airports (last Brookhaven design was done as a taxiway correction for FS2004).   I'd like to see these out there for the public if I can make the buildings and other object.

The ILS hold lines are in ADE already and I've added them in over the original in my ground texture.  It looks good.

Worst case i can release the airports without the ORBX call BGLs and see if anyone would like to help design the buildings.

Thanks for all the great advice.  I hope I can pay it back via these airports in the hands of the public.

JR