Sign in to follow this  
RKillins

Nvidia Inspector "CustomSettingNames_en-EN.xml" Reference in "DX10 How-To" Document

I have no idea where to post a question like this ...

There is a pretty thorough "How-To" document available that in conjunction with The DX10 Scenery Fixer will allow a user to optimize their DX10 setup in FSX. It recommends following the guide closely. It has been a few years since it's been updated, and some references are may no longer be accurate.

In section 3, Setting Up Nvidia Inspector, it is highlighted quite clearly: "Very important: make sure that Inspector.exe and CustomSettingNames_en-EN.xml are both in the same folder - or NVI will not work."

I have Inspector.exe, but I cannot find CustomSettingNames_en-EN.xml. Where would I find this file? If found, would I move it to where Inspector.exe is? I'm using the latest release(?) of Inspector, 1.9.7.8. Perhaps it doesn't rely on CustomSettingNames_en-EN.xml any longer?

RM Killins

Hi Steve, yes ... I realize that, but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about Nvidia Inspector and it's file CustomSettingNames_en-EN.xml. The question really doesn't fit into your DX10 Fixer forum or Adam's document (other than making reference to it). I would have posted this question in an Nvidia Inspector forum, but none exist. I thought maybe since Nvidia Inspector is a useful tool for FSX that maybe users of your software may have had experience with it.

RM Killins

I just install the inspector and it works. Nvidia inspector simply edits the Nvidia profile file. There is nothing complicated in what it does - it either works or it doesn’t.

The file  from its name problem contains the English labels for the things you can see on its screen and change -  the idea being that in future someone could replace it with a French one.

The advice would be better understood as when you download Nvidia inspector and unzip it don’t then copy the exe to another directory, copy the whole directory.

Whether  recent versions still have the labels in a separate file or they have been included with the exe I don’t know.

Ok I looked in the directory where  I installed 1.9.7 (which is not the latest version I think). That file exists -  there is also a changelog which explains that the intention of the file is to allow you to change the names of the fields if you wish.  I removed the file and  NVI still runs  and seems as far as I can tell to still work apart from the fact that there is a warning at the bottom telling you to repair this file and pressing the repair cause an exception! So long as you ignore this warning  and don't press the button then its ok without it!!

Thanks Steve ... I will assume the xml file is part of an older NVI and newer versions don't rely onit anymore. I will assume things are working without it!

RM Killins

21 hours ago, RKillins said:

Thanks Steve ... I will assume the xml file is part of an older NVI and newer versions don't rely onit anymore. I will assume things are working without it!

Correct. The new version also comes with two exe, one for the monitoring section and one or the profiles. You can still get to the profiles from the monitoring window though.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.