Sign in to follow this  
Tiger6k

Cloud Shadows Casting on aircraft even above clouds

Hey all, 

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that the clouds cast shadows on the airplane, even when the airplane is above them.  I have cloud shadows on obviously, and they look great on the ground.  But after climbing up over the clouds I wouldn't expect to still see them on the plane.

Is this a REX issue possibly or just the way the cloud shadows are rendered?

I can post a short video if needed to show what I'm seeing. 

Thanks.

That's a bug LM is aware of. Same reason leading to strange shadow - no shadow issue on the ground while panning around in the VC or exterior camera view. No solution so far...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I have seen this too in v4 but haven't noticed it after 4.1. Perhaps I've been lucky, but really hope it's fixed or if not will be.

It is not fixed. If you haven't seen it in v4.1, it was simple coincidence. Personally, I also observe it only in certain conditions, on the ground if the sun is low (dusk or dawn) and at FL3xx only if there are some high altitude clouds around.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Ok, too good to be true then. Could it have something to do with the type of cloud? I have a saved default flight with a 5/8  layer of stratus at 5000 ft to 8000 ft. It's probably a coincidence as you say and I just haven't noticed them above.

I don't think so. It something how LM thought to improve the performance. Somehow they changed the way cloud shadows are rendered entirely. How you can observe it: fly above clouds on a cloudy day, switch to the outside view and pan around. I am pretty sure that with certain view angles, you can "turn on and off" cloud shadows just at the boarder of the view. Basically, it seems as the engine now does not render certain shadows, either because the engine thinks they are to far away to be rendered or not inside the view. Result: if the sun is low and cloud shadows from 80nm away should cast a shadow on your plane, it does simply not. Between 10am and 2-3pm you will hardly ever notice this as the shadow of the clouds are more or less below the cloud and rendered correctly.

Greetings, Chris

Aha, now I understand what you mean. Sorry, I misunderstood, I meant cloudshadows above the clouds from inside the cockpit. I saw cloudshadows on the wings and in the cockpit but they are gone now with 4.1. Probably this was a driver thing or a broken shader on my installation :-)