Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Future of photoreal

Does anyone know if there are any future plans for photoreal scenery in P3d that looks similar to the ortho stuff?  I️ know mega scenery is out there but that doesn’t look good.  Just wondering what the future holds. Thanks. 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Ortho stuff?  Sorry for my ignorance, photo scenery is based on aerial photography so ortho scenery is base on orthographic projection charts? Please explain.

As far as I am concerned the future is Orbx.  The downside to photo scenery, I presume because I'm not a big consumer, is lack of seasons?  I think the future is something like openLC where the fixed suite of landclass tiles is replaced with a very large set of tiles better matched to the actual scenery, overlaid by regions with extensive custom textures and autogen and scenery objects.  Day/night and season differences are very robust.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

20 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Does anyone know if there are any future plans for photoreal scenery in P3d that looks similar to the ortho stuff?  I️ know mega scenery is out there but that doesn’t look good.  Just wondering what the future holds. Thanks. 

Orbx announced that their next regon - Netherlands - will be completely photoreal. They also announced that they want to add full photoreal coverage to their PNW and are looking for other suitable regions in the US.

So I guess that will be the future of photoreal scenery. I agree with you that Megascenery, even if enhanced with Nuvecta Landscapes, leaves a lot to be desired.

Future is already here in France with FranceVFR sceneries:

• Reworked photo scenery 1m or 0.5 m/pixel
  • Detailed water mask for coast and lakes
  • Reworked AFCADs and airports
  • Full custom vegetation and building autogen cover
  • 3D Automation technology for all complex building shapes
  • 64 bits SDK build for P3Dv4 and above

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

France vfr open the way with 3DA and I suppose that this way now interresting Orbx. Landclasse coverages as orbx sceneries do, take very less disk spaces vs photosceneries but are rapidely very repetitive. The problem of landclasses is the poor choice decided by fsx, 11 years ago and the minimum square in the sim that make unreal aeras with strange cuts, particulary visible between villages and green vegetations.

The good way shall be a mix of the two technics, because the full coverage of the world in photorealscenneries is to heavy !

1 hour ago, downscc said:

Ortho stuff?  Sorry for my ignorance, photo scenery is based on aerial photography so ortho scenery is base on orthographic projection charts? Please explain.

Dan,

He’s referring to the program that is available for X-Plane that lets users easily make photoreal ground textures and incorporate autogen into them. Kind of like SBuilderX that we use to create photoreal scenery for FSX or P3D.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

France VFR is the kind of thing that I would like to see everywhere. Lack of seasonal variations is not really an issue for me, as I tend to fly in Spring/Summer the entire time. I also agree that MegaScenery Earth leaves a lot to be desired. The ME Ireland package (which I purchased in the hope that I could use the Northern Ireland part with my PlayHorizon Republic of Ireland photoscenery) is very poor in the area that I was interested in. No watermasking whatsoever for Lough Neagh, extremely poor quality textures/islands/coastline in Strangford Lough, and visible default scenery along coastlines (including an ugly section in Belfast Harbour). Pathetic :angry:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Is Photoreal scenery 'ok' now? I've always assumed that it was a bit of a no-no in ESP. Something about the sim loading *all* the photoreal scenery you have installed regardless of where you're actually flying? is this still the case in v4?

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

15 minutes ago, Ebs said:

Is Photoreal scenery 'ok' now?

Yes and no, depend of creators. Personnaly, I directly suspect editors in p3d that show pics of night sceneries or pics at very high altitudes where you don't know if it is only statelite pictures of idem with autogens well placed.

Xp have two softwares to do it your self, cactus521 (John) on "avsim screenshots gallery" show this process very well on America (like his work).

If it is specific sceneries as volcans of typical regions, first choice is photosceneries. For more common regions, orbx sceneries do well the job.

5 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

Orbx announced that their next regon - Netherlands - will be completely photoreal. They also announced that they want to add full photoreal coverage to their PNW and are looking for other suitable regions in the US.

So I guess that will be the future of photoreal scenery. I agree with you that Megascenery, even if enhanced with Nuvecta Landscapes, leaves a lot to be desired.

FTX Netherland will also come with 5 seasons and buildings will be shaped to match the footprint in the textures. I think it may become a milestone. Alpha screenshots are looking very good already. 

Posted before : I can see my house ...

B757%20over%20Gchem.jpg

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Gerard wow, is that FTX Netherlands?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Aerial imagery can be so expensive in some areas that it's unlikely it will be the main medium of scenery for some time (The US and NZ are two countries where free legal orthos can be found). Adding to that, orthos have burnt in lighting, and getting seasonal differences is hard. And of course, the disk space required to have orthos is still too much.

Adding accurate autogen on top is another huge challenge. For example, to purchase accurate topo data for all of France would cost near to the millions of Euros, and FranceVFR would seem to have some sort of licensing deal with IGN France and their regions are very expensive. If you saw how much the detailed topographic data and orthos cost for the entire UK, it would make buying oneself a real 777 a cheaper option :biggrin:

For the US, and many other areas, there simply isn't much in the way of good consistent data that can be used for very detailed scenery. So I fear we are some way off before it becomes the norm.

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

Posted before : I can see my house ...

B757%20over%20Gchem.jpg

What are you using for that?  It looks good.  

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

7 hours ago, tonywob said:

Aerial imagery can be so expensive in some areas that it's unlikely it will be the main medium of scenery for some time (The US and NZ are two countries where free legal orthos can be found). Adding to that, orthos have burnt in lighting, and getting seasonal differences is hard. And of course, the disk space required to have orthos is still too much.

Adding accurate autogen on top is another huge challenge. For example, to purchase accurate topo data for all of France would cost near to the millions of Euros, and FranceVFR would seem to have some sort of licensing deal with IGN France and their regions are very expensive. If you saw how much the detailed topographic data and orthos cost for the entire UK, it would make buying oneself a real 777 a cheaper option :biggrin:

For the US, and many other areas, there simply isn't much in the way of good consistent data that can be used for very detailed scenery. So I fear we are some way off before it becomes the norm.

A FTX Region is also not cheap, so I prefer photoreal scenery + custom AG.

That is how I already fly for years now.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0