Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Future of photoreal

4 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

What are you using for that?  It looks good.  

NL2000 : freeware 

Photoreal scenery + AG + custom objects

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

A FTX Region is also not cheap, so I prefer photoreal scenery + custom AG.

Actually, I'm referring to the cost for a company to license orthos as opposed to how much they cost for users to buy. ORBX have stated they would love to make a photoreal Norway (Imagine that :D), or the UK, but the costs are so prohibitively high that they sadly just can't. So landclass scenery is here to stay unless you know how to roll your own.

Fans of US orthos though are in luck. Since high quality imagery is actually in the public domain, anyone, including ORBX can make scenery for it. I'm really really looking forward to their photoreal PNW scenery, one of the best regions to fly no doubt.

Imho the future will be :

- Fast IN connection

- DL the season dependent photo files from the LM server ( placed on your pc ) . 

- Only AG and objects in the cliënt install

- Addon airports can be bought or licensed for 1 time use

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Since photoreal scenery development has been my "life" for the past two years I'll chime in with my 2-cents.   Just like any  other flightsim scenery, photoreal can be as ever incredibly immersive and detailed as any of the top add-ons or can be very basic and lackluster.  It depends on the developer AND the available data and what simmer is content with.

The issue of creating seasons, at least for me, is not an issue.  It is the space required on the end-user's system.  Because every square mile (kilometer), is unique adding all five seasons can make the size upwards to five times!  Most users are not ready for those types of downloads or storing so I think developers concentrate of one season... summer or perhaps a summer and winter season.

I think for the USA one is looking at 12-15 TB for the entire USA.  Storage prices continue to drop.  I see Seagate has 8TB drives on sale for $179,99 USD so in theory one could have to drop $400 USD just to store the scenery.

To answer a poster above... yes, PR scenery will load even if you are not flying in that area however an easy solution is to only "check" on those areas you are flying through.  P3D, FSX, etc, will not load the scenery if it is checked OFF. 

I always ask myself will simmers even care if you add 3D detail to PR scenery?  I mean if you are flying over a remote desert area and pass over en entire town in a matter of seconds does it matter.  Maybe just releaseing massive areas with no 3D is good enough (think MegaSceenry).  I guess I will know once we release something (ha!).

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

9 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

I always ask myself will simmers even care if you add 3D detail to PR scenery?  I mean if you are flying over a remote desert area and pass over en entire town in a matter of seconds does it matter.  Maybe just releaseing massive areas with no 3D is good enough (think MegaSceenry).  I guess I will know once we release something (ha!).

I think 3D at least around the airports matters.  Over a desert that doesn't have much 3D even in real life or flying at altitude does not matter(obviously).  I've made my own photoreal scenery too and in some cases have used scenproc to add 3D around airports only.  I wish MegaScenery would do this or some developer anyway.  Create the photoreal for whole countries and then go back and add 3D within a 20nm radius of the airports(all or only the medium and larger maybe?) in the area.  To me, that would be the perfect combination.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Obviously there's no GA/VFR flyer left over besides me.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I fly orthoscenery 95% of the time. 

Megascenery v3 is pretty good.

Landclass - ugg, only if nothing else is available, Very fake. Bad!

usually, I just make my own orthoscenery, trees around airports are essential though, and IS3 is great for this. Also good to rework airports to match photoscenery.

Am brewing some NC smoky mountain scenery tonight, 12.5 cm per pixel, sweet. Storage space is cheapnthese days!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

19 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Megascenery v3 is pretty good

Does Megascenery's water masking use the underlying photoreal water textures or do they completely remove them and you end up w/ "default" water?  From the images on their website, it looks like it does the latter which is the biggest reason why I haven't taken the plunge yet on any of their v3 stuff.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

22 hours ago, klamal said:

Does Megascenery's water masking use the underlying photoreal water textures or do they completely remove them and you end up w/ "default" water?  From the images on their website, it looks like it does the latter which is the biggest reason why I haven't taken the plunge yet on any of their v3 stuff.

The pics on the website are accurate, yes it's 'holes punched through the scenery', to show default water. 

I think it looks ok, when I make photoscenery I sometimes mask with an areaKML path from google earth (coast and deep water), that looks a bit better. I've actually been trying to learn more about blend masks for the last few days, haven't had much success yet!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

3 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

The pics on the website are accurate, yes it's 'holes punched through the scenery', to show default water. 

I think it looks ok, when I make photoscenery I sometimes mask with an areaKML path from google earth (coast and deep water), that looks a bit better. I've actually been trying to learn more about blend masks for the last few days, haven't had much success yet!

Thanks.  Yeah, I think I'd rather make my own then too.  I don't like the look of default water...or should I say at least the fact that all water looks the same - everywhere in the world - in default.  Water, lakes, rivers, coasts, all have their own unique characteristics that have yet to be brought out w/ default water classification that exists.  So I much prefer photoreal - even if it's not "annotated" as water.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

On 11/14/2017 at 8:18 AM, Clutch Cargo said:

To answer a poster above... yes, PR scenery will load even if you are not flying in that area however an easy solution is to only "check" on those areas you are flying through.  P3D, FSX, etc, will not load the scenery if it is checked OFF. 

I see comments like this and just chuckle. IIRC, NL2000 is something like 30gb+ and runs in FSX. FSX is a 32bit program, limited to no more than 4gb of RAM. How's all that photo work fitting into 4gb of RAM? Or Mega Cali or Texas or most any other US state?

Without going into a detailed explanation of SDK files and indexing, can we please stop saying photo work is always loaded into memory? Unless someone cares to put up pics of their 64bit system running 192gb of RAM?