Sign in to follow this  
RodgerC

MCE and FSX ATC

Just out of curiosity, I've watched a couple of YouTube videos of people using MCE and FSX ATC.  I have noticed that the ATC box is not popping up and they are still talking to ATC thru the PTT.  I am curious as to how they do that.  I would prefer NOT to have the popup ATC box appear.  Am I missing something somewhere in the settings?  Thanks

Rodger

9 hours ago, C130FE said:

Just out of curiosity, I've watched a couple of YouTube videos of people using MCE and FSX ATC.  I have noticed that the ATC box is not popping up and they are still talking to ATC thru the PTT.  I am curious as to how they do that.  I would prefer NOT to have the popup ATC box appear.  Am I missing something somewhere in the settings?  Thanks

Rodger

Perhaps they are using a multi-screen setup with FSX window undocked and kept visible all the time.

On single monitors, you could enable the "Auto-hide ATC window" option in <ATC> tab.

MCE will then automatically hide it most of the time.

It needs to pop it out every now and then because as part of the feature, MCE needs to dynamically fetch the content of the ATC window, something that cannot happen unless the window is refreshed.

If you need to check the options, just say "display ATC" and it will remain on screen until you say "Hide ATC" at which point it resumes auto-hide.

When you hold down PTT it is expected to pop-up so MCE is guaranteed to receive the latest on screen options.

It's more complex than sending keyboard presses and hoping for the best.

For example, if you say "Tower United 647 requesting takeoff clearance", even though your speech would be understood, no selection in ATC menu will take place unless there is an option such as "Request takeoff clearance..."

You do not need to keep the ATC window at its maximum size or to fit the text. You could reduce it to the lowest size possible.

Do you fly mainly GA aircraft under VFR or airliners?

What's you favorite callsign?

Thanks Gerald, I got a message from the guy that did the YouTube video, and he explained that he uses a triple screen monitor and he explained that the ATC window was open on another monitor.  It just wasn't being shown.  I understand now.  I fly only GA aircraft.  Actually haven't used the ATC enough to figure out my favorite callsign.  But now I have MCE working I will be using either PF3 or RC4 with it.  Looking forward to it.  Kinda getting tired flying w/o ATC.