Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

FSX-SE no longer compatible with Windows 10

Since September when Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 came out and now especially since 1709 is in place I can no longer operate FSX-SE due to so many crashes and error messages that lead to crashes.

I have factory reset my MSI PC actually six times in two months, spent many dollars with my local tech shop, had three long conversations with MSI and four conversations with Microsoft.

Microsoft today has informed me that it is no longer compatible with Windows 10 since the Creators Update (now at version 1709) came out in September.

So after two months of struggling to make it work I have to surrender. Microsoft gave me two choices - 
- Go back to Windows 7
or
Eliminate FSX-SE and get a compatible flight simulator.

After twenty years and much investment in MSFS I was devastated - but life does go on.
So I guess I will have to consider P3D v4.1 sooner than I was planning. I could hobble along with FSW but it is just not quite there yet.

Any thoughts from this forum would be appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

Wow, that is amazing!

What does Dovetail Games have to say to that?

It is their product..

Bert

I'm having no issues with FSXSE and the creators update. I suspect it's likely an add on that's causing the issues......

Or one of the known detrimental Kb's

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

13 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Wow, that is amazing!

What does Dovetail Games have to say to that?

It is their product..

Bert - I really do not know about DTG as I was just told today by Microsoft and quite frankly I am shocked - butafter two months of struggling I am pooped out.

I will attempt to communicate with DTG tomorrow.

Regards, Dane

13 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I'm having no issues with FSXSE and the creators update. I suspect it's likely an add on that's causing the issues......

Or one of the known detrimental Kb's

HiFlyer - I do not doubt that you may be correct, but I have gone through the elimination process during the six (6) times I did a factory reset on my only one year old MSI PC. I just don't know what else to do.

If P3D v4.1 is compatible with Windows 7 I just might consider what Microsoft suggested (although that would be going backwards).

Regards, Dane

I'd tend to think that since there appears to be no problem with FSX-SE on my PC which has that Win 10 update - in fact I literally updated everything on Win 10 I possibly could right before posting this reply just to be certain of that and then flew about in FSX-SE for a while and it was working just fine - then switching to a P3D would not be the answer, since it might be just as likely that one would be affected by whatever the issue is which is bombing FSX-SE, and it'd be a rather expensive way of finding that out. Since Hiflyer also says he's having no issues with FSX-SE on Win 10 with that update either, it would tend to indicate it shouldn't be causing a problem, and I'm sure there'd have been many more posts on Avsim and Steam about such an issue if it really was commonplace. Likewise, for an operating system switch too, which is really sidestepping the issue rather than solving it, and therefore not guaranteed to be a solution.

I'd be inclined to think there was some intermittent hardware issue causing FSX-SE to crash, since with a complete factory reset, there'd not be any rogue DLLs or anything of that nature which might be to blame. FSX-SE does push systems quite a bit; so if something is on the blink, if anything would be inclined to cause it to trip up, it would be something like a flight sim which makes the CPU, GPU, RAM and hard disk all work fairly hard.

It should be fairly easy to test that out, even with a laptop where the components are a bit harder to get at. First I'd check it with CPU-Z to make sure it is reporting that all the components which are in there are being detected, especially the RAM.

I'm assuming you've done stuff such as binning off the FSX-SE config file and letting it build a new one, verifying the local files via for FSX-SE via Steam and all the other favourite tricks to try when something is amiss, such as running FSX-SE as admin, running it in compatibility modes, manually installing the Simconnect stuff which is missing from the Steam version of FSX, etc, etc.

If that is so and you've tried all that malarkey, then I'd download the demo of XPlane 11 and give that a shot (that is if you don't own it, or if you do then just crank it up). Not because I'm suggesting you switch to XPlane, but rather because it's another flight sim program which will push the CPU, RAM, GPU and HDD and other than the time spent downloading it, since it's a free demo, it won't cost you anything to see if that also bombs your system, if it does, then it's likely that it isn't FSX-SE which is the problem but a big flight sim program which is taxing the system and highlighting a fault with it.

MS might indeed say FSX-SE isn't compatible with Win 10, but that's probably more a case of them not wanting to be held responsible for their operating system working with anything older than a couple of years, which is more typically the age of most of the software the majority of Win 10 owners will be using than any notion that it won't actually work.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

31 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'd tend to think that since there appears to be no problem with FSX-SE on my PC which has that Win 10 update - in fact I literally updated everything on Win 10 I possibly could right before posting this reply just to be certain of that and then flew about in FSX-SE for a while and it was working just fine - then switching to a P3D would not be the answer, since it might be just as likely that one would be affected by whatever the issue is which is bombing FSX-SE, and it'd be a rather expensive way of finding that out. Since Hiflyer also says he's having no issues with FSX-SE on Win 10 with that update either, it would tend to indicate it shouldn't be causing a problem, and I'm sure there'd have been many more posts on Avsim and Steam about such an issue if it really was commonplace. Likewise, for an operating system switch too, which is really sidestepping the issue rather than solving it, and therefore not guaranteed to be a solution.

I'd be inclined to think there was some intermittent hardware issue causing FSX-SE to crash, since with a complete factory reset, there'd not be any rogue DLLs or anything of that nature which might be to blame. FSX-SE does push systems quite a bit; so if something is on the blink, if anything would be inclined to cause it to trip up, it would be something like a flight sim which makes the CPU, GPU, RAM and hard disk all work fairly hard.

It should be fairly easy to test that out, even with a laptop where the components are a bit harder to get at. First I'd check it with CPU-Z to make sure it is reporting that all the components which are in there are being detected, especially the RAM.

I'm assuming you've done stuff such as binning off the FSX-SE config file and letting it build a new one, verifying the local files via for FSX-SE via Steam and all the other favourite tricks to try when something is amiss, such as running FSX-SE as admin, running it in compatibility modes, manually installing the Simconnect stuff which is missing from the Steam version of FSX, etc, etc.

If that is so and you've tried all that malarkey, then I'd download the demo of XPlane 11 and give that a shot (that is if you don't own it, or if you do then just crank it up). Not because I'm suggesting you switch to XPlane, but rather because it's another flight sim program which will push the CPU, RAM, GPU and HDD and other than the time spent downloading it, since it's a free demo, it won't cost you anything to see if that also bombs your system, if it does, then it's likely that it isn't FSX-SE which is the problem but a big flight sim program which is taxing the system and highlighting a fault with it.

MS might indeed say FSX-SE isn't compatible with Win 10, but that's probably more a case of them not wanting to be held responsible for their operating system working with anything older than a couple of years, which is more typically the age of most of the software the majority of Win 10 owners will be using than any notion that it won't actually work.

WOW! A lot of great and very interesting info which you have provided.

I will begin systematically checking out everything you have noted. I do not really have any interest in going back to Win.7 so I will continue to look and dig and try.

I flew FSW tonight for the first time in 3 months, there were no issues - but it's just not the same. I will d/l the Xplane demo and test it out. FSW works and if Xplane works then there is something not right with FSX-SE.

Thanks again Chock for your input.

PS, I did send an urgent ticket to DTG to let them know.

Regards, Dane

hasnt p3d  have  a 30  day money back if  it  doesnt  suit you

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Dane,

Its not only you. I have the same problems and they all started after Creators update. Ive added nothing since and I rarely get a stable run to the end. I read elsewhere that Microsoft are pushing out a Win10 update on 14 or 15 November so I'm waiting to see if that works.

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

8 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

I can no longer operate FSX-SE due to so many crashes and error messages that lead to crashes.

Firstly, like HiFlyer and Chock I have no issues with FSX:SE after the Fall Creators Update (1709 - Win 10 Pro, 64bit) so, despite what MS says, it's not incompatible with the update. I suspect that it's probably a specific combination of hardware and software that's causing the problem or everyone would be suffering. Did you have any add-ons installed when you tested it? Do you have up-to-date drivers for all of your hardware (including joysticks, yokes, throttles, pedals)? What error messages do you get? Have you checked the event viewer to see if any related errors have been logged there?

Not sure if it's the same thing but some users over on the PMDG forum have had problems since the 1709 update but PMDG say that a fix is coming from MS (due around now, apparently) for those affected so maybe this will help you as well:

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

6 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Firstly, like HiFlyer and Chock I have no issues with FSX:SE after the Fall Creators Update (1709 - Win 10 Pro, 64bit) so, despite what MS says, it's not incompatible with the update. I suspect that it's probably a specific combination of hardware and software that's causing the problem or everyone would be suffering. Did you have any add-ons installed when you tested it? Do you have up-to-date drivers for all of your hardware (including joysticks, yokes, throttles, pedals)? What error messages do you get? Have you checked the event viewer to see if any related errors have been logged there?

Not sure if it's the same thing but some users over on the PMDG forum have had problems since the 1709 update but PMDG say that a fix is coming from MS (due around now, apparently) for those affected so maybe this will help you as well:

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Over a 6 week period I did four factory resets keeping files. Then I did two clean factory resets (all files gone). Then I installed the basic OS stuff and virus protection as well as Google Chrome browser.

Then I installed Steam and FSX, Active Sky Next, and FSW.

Then as i installed each add-on I would launch FSX and do a quick flight with no rudder pedals or joystick just to make sure all was well. Then I would create a Restore Point in case I had to go back to that point. Quite honestly throughout all the add-ons I never encountered any crashes.

So then I installed FSUIPC and copied over my old FSUIPC4.inj file and that's when I started to have issues. I'm not saying it's FSUIPC but maybe something is corrupt. There were one or two other add-ons installed after FSUIPC but I don't remember what they were.

I will take your suggestion to heart and I think I may have to do yet another clean factory reset. Goid thing I gave three pages of point by point steps including registration/passwords so it is actually quite easy to do and takes a full day.

Thanks again.

Regards, Dane

31 minutes ago, Jovabra said:

Installed today’s Win10 update and everything is working 100%. 

Good to hear. What is the version number?

Regards, Dane