Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

FSX-SE no longer compatible with Windows 10

That would be 1709 and update KB4048955

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Dane Watson said:

So then I installed FSUIPC and copied over my old FSUIPC4.inj file and that's when I started to have issues. I'm not saying it's FSUIPC but maybe something is corrupt. There were one or two other add-ons installed after FSUIPC but I don't remember what they were.

I will take your suggestion to heart and I think I may have to do yet another clean factory reset. Goid thing I gave three pages of point by point steps including registration/passwords so it is actually quite easy to do and takes a full day.

Thanks again.

Sounds almost certain you have a corrupt FSUIPC.ini file. I use FS9 but FSUIPC.ini corruption is quite common and I'm sure it's the same in FSX. Don't restore the old one.

Mark Daniels

P3D V4 undoubtedly far superior and updated, but FSX-SE runs perfectly on Windows 10 Version 1709 (OS build 16299.19), including Grandpa FS9 keeps running perfect.
The last problem I had in FSX-SE and Windows 10 happened with 787 QW, altitude was not stable in AP connected, then came the idea of deleting FSUIPC.INI, in forum QW, problem solved, there was something wrong in FSUIPC (registered), so my problem was not with Windows10, FSX-SE or 787 QW.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

3 hours ago, Dumont said:

P3D V4 undoubtedly far superior and updated, but FSX-SE runs perfectly on Windows 10 Version 1709 (OS build 16299.19), including Grandpa FS9 keeps running perfect.
The last problem I had in FSX-SE and Windows 10 happened with 787 QW, altitude was not stable in AP connected, then came the idea of deleting FSUIPC.INI, in forum QW, problem solved, there was something wrong in FSUIPC (registered), so my problem was not with Windows10, FSX-SE or 787 QW.

João Alfredo

Thank you

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

4 hours ago, Max50 said:

Sounds almost certain you have a corrupt FSUIPC.ini file. I use FS9 but FSUIPC.ini corruption is quite common and I'm sure it's the same in FSX. Don't restore the old one.

Thank you Max50

Regards, Dane

On 11/13/2017 at 10:46 PM, Chock said:

I'd tend to think that since there appears to be no problem with FSX-SE on my PC which has that Win 10 update - in fact I literally updated everything on Win 10 I possibly could right before posting this reply just to be certain of that and then flew about in FSX-SE for a while and it was working just fine - then switching to a P3D would not be the answer, since it might be just as likely that one would be affected by whatever the issue is which is bombing FSX-SE, and it'd be a rather expensive way of finding that out. Since Hiflyer also says he's having no issues with FSX-SE on Win 10 with that update either, it would tend to indicate it shouldn't be causing a problem, and I'm sure there'd have been many more posts on Avsim and Steam about such an issue if it really was commonplace. Likewise, for an operating system switch too, which is really sidestepping the issue rather than solving it, and therefore not guaranteed to be a solution.

I'd be inclined to think there was some intermittent hardware issue causing FSX-SE to crash, since with a complete factory reset, there'd not be any rogue DLLs or anything of that nature which might be to blame. FSX-SE does push systems quite a bit; so if something is on the blink, if anything would be inclined to cause it to trip up, it would be something like a flight sim which makes the CPU, GPU, RAM and hard disk all work fairly hard.

It should be fairly easy to test that out, even with a laptop where the components are a bit harder to get at. First I'd check it with CPU-Z to make sure it is reporting that all the components which are in there are being detected, especially the RAM.

I'm assuming you've done stuff such as binning off the FSX-SE config file and letting it build a new one, verifying the local files via for FSX-SE via Steam and all the other favourite tricks to try when something is amiss, such as running FSX-SE as admin, running it in compatibility modes, manually installing the Simconnect stuff which is missing from the Steam version of FSX, etc, etc.

If that is so and you've tried all that malarkey, then I'd download the demo of XPlane 11 and give that a shot (that is if you don't own it, or if you do then just crank it up). Not because I'm suggesting you switch to XPlane, but rather because it's another flight sim program which will push the CPU, RAM, GPU and HDD and other than the time spent downloading it, since it's a free demo, it won't cost you anything to see if that also bombs your system, if it does, then it's likely that it isn't FSX-SE which is the problem but a big flight sim program which is taxing the system and highlighting a fault with it.

MS might indeed say FSX-SE isn't compatible with Win 10, but that's probably more a case of them not wanting to be held responsible for their operating system working with anything older than a couple of years, which is more typically the age of most of the software the majority of Win 10 owners will be using than any notion that it won't actually work.

I received the latest Windows update today - it fixed the one issue I had regarding - MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR HAS STOPPED FUNCTIONING. This always occurred when I went into FSUIPC and accessed the sub-menu Load Flight - once in Load Flight when you scroll with the mouse to pick a new saved flight, the error occurred. I already ran this past FSUIPC and it has nothing to do with FSUIPC - this latest Windows update today fixed that.

I still have the other issue with issue whenever you click say End Flight or Aircraft, I still get "error creating child window" and then it immediately goes to "an unsupported operation attempted". I do believe something in the FSX.CFG is causing this because if I eliminate the FSX.CFG and let FSX build a new one then this second issue goes away. The strange thing is that none of these two issues occurred before the September Windows update, however I think I am on to something here - the next day or two will tell.

I did run CPU-Z as well as other utilities and all point to a perfectly running system.

I also have flown FSW as well as the Xplane 11 demo and they perform magnificently.

Regards, Dane

Response today to my issue from DTG...

Hey Dane,

Unfortunately this Windows update has caused issues with some users interactions with FSX. We're looking into this and working with Microsoft on a solution.

Please bear with us whilst this is ongoing, your patience is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Sam 

Regards, Dane

Hello Dane,

I contacted Dove tail games and I got the exact scripted response!

Meanwhile Microsoft told P3D that the patch from yesterday was only for those who had the Windows 10 1703 installed and NOT the 1709.

I don't understand why they didn't release both of them together in one update but hey! So probably we wait another month (or less I hope!) to fix this.

Meanwhile can some of you with FSX SE edition write to Dovetail games as they need to work with Microsoft about this issue.  Here is the link we need them to know. I've sent many already http://dovetailgames.kayako.com/

The more that write to them the more they understand they need to work with Microsoft just like P3D does.

FWIW I had the Creators Update installed well before it was trolled out and I couldn't run FSX SE after that.

It turns out the issue was with Steam Client, not FSX itself.

I believe somehow, Steam could no longer identify me (It is as if it saw me using a different Windows installation. All without prompting for validation. It left me scratching my head for a couple of days).

In the end, had to re-install Steam and FSX SE, and it worked fine since.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, theitcrowd said:

Meanwhile Microsoft told P3D that the patch from yesterday was only for those who had the Windows 10 1703 installed and NOT the 1709.

The problem is that all such info from DTG or LM is second-hand ....(not addressed to you of course !!)

Nobody (especially MS) is explaining to us what the actual cause of the problem is with 32-bit applications in the Fall Creators Update (1709).
Also:
- The Spring Creators Update (1703) doesn;t have a problem at all with FSX-Boxed,P3Dv3, and FSX-Steam, so why an update ??
- And apart from that: I find it hard to believe that MS is still releasing any update for 1703 when allready rolling out 1709. Isn't that against their own update policy for W10 ?

Rob

*Edit*

PS: This IS official ...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054150/issues-when-windows-10-fall-creators-update-calls-createwindowex-for-s

There was an update that screwed up 32bit applications. I had problems out of nowhere 3 weeks ago. MS said there would be a fix for that this week.

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlyer said:

There was an update that screwed up 32bit applications. I had problems out of nowhere 3 weeks ago. MS said there would be a fix for that this week.

Well, I'll just wait untill MS updates the support page I posted above (last review was on nov. 14th).

Untill then, I'll keep my Wifi connection set to "metered" to avoid this dreaded Fall Creators Update being installed.

I'm also having issues with the Creator update in FSX SE. I sure hope Microsoft can fix this issue since I have a ton of PMDG and A2A Aircraft at stake. I tried uninstalling the update but it won't allow me. Like everything else in this sim, every computer system is different. Just be very thankful if it's not hurting you.

See those responses:

Microsoft's changelog says, among other things:

"Addressed issue that causes a black screen to appear when you switch between windowed and full-screen modes when playing some Microsoft DirectX games."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4048955/windows-10-update-kb4048955

So check if the update is installed or let Windows update and see whether things got better or not.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days