Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

FSX-SE no longer compatible with Windows 10

1 hour ago, ctiger said:

Thanks Jim, it appears  you cannot stop the update or even delay if you have the home edition of Win.  I can only chose "how updates are delivered". This could be a real problem.

From the site you provided.

"What if you do not have Windows 10 Pro, Education or Enterprise?"

"If you have the consumer Home version of Windows 10, which is aimed at home users, you cannot defer upgrades. Therefore, want it or not, the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update will get installed as soon as it is available for your PC, starting October 17th, 2017."

It even appears that 'professional version" would be allowed up to 4 months delay. 

If interpreted correctly I may have to remain in "sleep mode"? Unreal!!

The only way I am aware of 100% blocking updates is to go into your WiFi and turn on Metered Connection. That is how my PC currently is until I read that Microsoft has fixed 1709

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

1 hour ago, ctiger said:

Thanks Jim, it appears  you cannot stop the update or even delay if you have the home edition of Win.  I can only chose "how updates are delivered". This could be a real problem.

Appears Dane has the best solution.  I did a quick search on Google for how can I turn off windows updates and obviously I selected the wrong link.  Hope you guys get this fixed someday very soon!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Dane Watson said:

The only way I am aware of 100% blocking updates is to go into your WiFi and turn on Metered Connection. That is how my PC currently is until I read that Microsoft has fixed 1709

OK, Dane many thanks.  I assume if I need to do a restart, FSX should be safe. Assume this will also stop any future updates from Steam.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

2 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

The update is world wide. If 1709 gets by you, you may not have an issue as it seems only some systems are affected.

However if you do have issues as have been reported here, you can always roll back to 1703 as long as you do it with the allotted ten day period.

Yup. I have two machines (networked) and on my secondary (client) machine I have AS16, PFP and AH2. I noticed that it was 1703 and that no updates were outstanding, but I foolishly clicked on the "Check for Updates" and it took off downloading 1709. I have Win 10 Home on both. I've switched off the facility for one machine to update the other and so far my server PC remains at 1703.

A general question : If you do roll back to 1703 after updating to 1709, how long have you got at this version number before it gets automatically overwritten ?

And another : Is it for Windows to fix 1709 or DTG to adapt FSX:SE ?

2 hours ago, ctiger said:

OK, Dane many thanks.  I assume if I need to do a restart, FSX should be safe. Assume this will also stop any future updates from Steam.

When you Enable Metered Connection it only affects Microsoft Windows Updates.

All other updates and/or activities will carry on as usual.

Regards, Dane

1 hour ago, thecanarian said:

Yup. I have two machines (networked) and on my secondary (client) machine I have AS16, PFP and AH2. I noticed that it was 1703 and that no updates were outstanding, but I foolishly clicked on the "Check for Updates" and it took off downloading 1709. I have Win 10 Home on both. I've switched off the facility for one machine to update the other and so far my server PC remains at 1703.

A general question : If you do roll back to 1703 after updating to 1709, how long have you got at this version number before it gets automatically overwritten ?

And another : Is it for Windows to fix 1709 or DTG to adapt FSX:SE ?

You have ten days to roll back after that I am not sure exactly what happens but you are not able to roll back. I think maybe the old file gets wiped out automatically?

Regards, Dane

1 hour ago, Dane Watson said:

When you Enable Metered Connection it only affects Microsoft Windows Updates.

All other updates and/or activities will carry on as usual.

Good news to know. Now just wait for MSFT to fix the problem.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I'll sit this one out because I'm in no mood to reinstall 1703 (windows.old is already in the digital nirvana). Let's see how long it'll take MS to fix this.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

8 hours ago, Bjoern said:

I'll sit this one out because I'm in no mood to reinstall 1703 (windows.old is already in the digital nirvana). Let's see how long it'll take MS to fix this.

The Windows support site do say they are aware of the problem, but more importantly it also affects a financial application called the Bloomberg Professional service. I expect if BIG money is involved it will be fixed, pdq, asap.  

5 hours ago, thecanarian said:

The Windows support site do say they are aware of the problem, but more importantly it also affects a financial application called the Bloomberg Professional service. I expect if BIG money is involved it will be fixed, pdq, asap.  

Sure would be great if that was true, but from googling the error message, the problem has been known for a few months at least as it also popped up in the Insider builds.

Hoping for a fix on the next patch day. The current Insider build's changelog shows no trace of a fix yet.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for the info about the insider's build changelog - that does not bode well. I do hope they get it fixed soon, as I (like most everyone else) have a substantial investment in add-ons for FSX-SE.

Having said that, and been "grounded" since around Nov 11th, I've decided to move on to X-Plane 11. Will probably install it tomorrow after work.

Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

The upgrade caused issues with my P3Dv3.4.22.19868 after it (1709 build) installed. My issues were flickering of the screen while moving mouse around in either 2D or 3D cockpit. It also was causing flashing white textures with jet contrails & wing tip vapor effects. I did find this only occurred while in full screen. Switching to windowed mode stopped the flickering with mouse movement.

This was with an XFX HD Radeon 7870DD 2GB 256bit card and any driver from 17.10.3 & up combined with the Microcrap Windows 10 Pro 1709 OS build 16299.64

Once I reverted back to 1703 OS build 15063.726 with the 17.10.2 Crimson drivers my issues stopped.

Can't speak of FSX-SE since I currently do not have installed. I purchased it sometime ago for $5 but have yet to install it. I kinda figure at this point given how far P3D has progressed that it's backwards thinking in terms of progress. As for P3Dv4 I'll wait until they iron it out more. Outside of being 64bit compatible it still looks and handles very much like version 3. Even overall performance FPS wise is the same.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU