Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

FSX-SE no longer compatible with Windows 10

On 11/13/2017 at 9:36 PM, Dane Watson said:

Since September when Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 came out and now especially since 1709 is in place I can no longer operate FSX-SE due to so many crashes and error messages that lead to crashes.

I have factory reset my MSI PC actually six times in two months, spent many dollars with my local tech shop, had three long conversations with MSI and four conversations with Microsoft.

Microsoft today has informed me that it is no longer compatible with Windows 10 since the Creators Update (now at version 1709) came out in September.

So after two months of struggling to make it work I have to surrender. Microsoft gave me two choices - 
- Go back to Windows 7
or
Eliminate FSX-SE and get a compatible flight simulator.

After twenty years and much investment in MSFS I was devastated - but life does go on.
So I guess I will have to consider P3D v4.1 sooner than I was planning. I could hobble along with FSW but it is just not quite there yet.

Any thoughts from this forum would be appreciated.

I think you should be able to run P3DV4 well on your system specs, in case no one hasn't already informed you, I haven't scanned all the replies.  My specs are in my signature, they aren't that far off yours.  V4 has many improvements over FSX, there may be some aircraft compatibility issues but all my past FSX Carenado purchases work on V4.  Performance is very nice, I don't dropped below my locked setting of 33fps, although I fly over photoreal scenery with autogen off and I limit AI to 25 pct, everything else is maxed.

John

17 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

I think you should be able to run P3DV4 well on your system specs, in case no one hasn't already informed you, I haven't scanned all the replies.  My specs are in my signature, they aren't that far off yours.  V4 has many improvements over FSX, there may be some aircraft compatibility issues but all my past FSX Carenado purchases work on V4.  Performance is very nice, I don't dropped below my locked setting of 33fps, although I fly over photoreal scenery with autogen off and I limit AI to 25 pct, everything else is maxed.

John

Thanks John. I intend to purchase V4 in December.

I have FSW and it works extremely well but it is just not there yet. Also Xplane11 demo works amazingly. So I believe that P3DV4 should be no different and then I can install my Carenado, A2A aircraft as well as many of my P3DV4 compatible 3rd party scenery airports as well as FTX ORBX.

Looking forward to this new venture but it will still be hard to give up 20 years of MSFS - but then life goes on.

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

Today I received the windows upgrade and now I am also receiving the "error creating  child window". using Fsx-se. Load simple plane at KRDU the error occurs and then fsx shuts down.  Will give it a try withs FSW and Aero-fly.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I first posted this message as I was so frustrated after spending almost two months and six (6) factory resets which included two "clean" resets, several consultations with MSI as well as several consultations with Microsoft - the result was still the same - crashes.

It had nothing to do with add-ons as I had not added or changed anything for at least four months. It had everything to do with Windows 10 VERSION 1709. It is strange though that it does not affect all PC's and even DTG and Microsoft has acknowledged this - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054150/issues-when-windows-10-fall-creators-update-calls-createwindowex-for-s

Now after all this frustration and after reading what Microsoft suggested I called Microsoft Support again at their highest level (Level 2) and insisted that they download and install VERSION 1607, which they did. So another "clean" factory reset and two days later everything is re-installed as it was four months ago - THE RESULT - NOT ANY ISSUES WHATSOEVER.
By the way the support technician setup my system so no updates will take place until I am assured by reports that version 1709 is now OK.

Regards, Dane

I am also affected by this. Immediately after the update to the fall creator 1709 build I started getting an error after some flight time that doesn't let me open any of the menu options in flight such as leaving flight, saving, display options, opening the kneeboard or any GPS options, etc.. including just closing the program with the X, basically anything outside of continuing to fly. Eventually it crashes the program out. Don't have the error off the top of my head but it gives me a cant create window issue. I have tried a clean windows (same build) and FSX-SE install and it still did the same.

Mine is random too I can get away with some flights just fine then get the error. same plane and add ons

I have noticed that all works as long as I use my joystick buttons and keyboard buttons; however when I do use the "alt" for menus and prepare flight plan or change plane or scenery I will get  the  message "an unsupported operation was attempted FS has stopped."  I have been able to use the keys such as A,S, esc. etc and all appears ok at least so far.   Have not received the "error creating child window" today.  

I can certainly understand the frustration that Dane has been going through. and I  guess the frustration will start  with me since yesterday was when I had the windows upgrade prior to the upgrade all was grreat. . 

Regards to all,

My system is Laptop I7-7700HQ CPU 2.8 GHz, 16GB RAM, NIVIDA GeForce 1050Ti 4gig

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Looks like I spoke too soon.  Just tried to flying again and now I can't even start at an airport without getting "error creating child window.  This happened trying to set up flight plan prior to start,and trying with default plane at small airport and still as soon as everything is ready to fly (no FP) the same message comes up. 

I have win 1709 (16299.64)

Has anyone tried roll back to prior win versioon?

Carl

6 minutes ago, ctiger said:

Looks like I spoke too soon.  Just tried to flying again and now I can't even start at an airport without getting "error creating child window.  This happened trying to set up flight plan prior to start,and trying with default plane at small airport and still as soon as everything is ready to fly (no FP) the same message comes up. 

I have win 1709 (16299.64)

Has anyone tried roll back to prior win versioon?

Hi Carl, yes that is the actual conflict that version 1709 has.W

When you click on a menu (that's what is known as a "Child Window") within FSX to open it for another option choice, it crashes.

Regards, Dane

On 11/15/2017 at 5:02 PM, rcbarend said:

I just wanted to remind that the link above says you have exactly 10 days after Win 10 updates to revert back to the Win 10 version you had before the update. So anyone with problems may want to revert before the deadline and wait until the forum messages are saying the problem has gone away.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

20 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

Now after all this frustration and after reading what Microsoft suggested I called Microsoft Support again at their highest level (Level 2) and insisted that they download and install VERSION 1607, which they did.

Dane any tips on how someone can access higher level Microsoft Support?

In the past I have from time to time gone to the Windows update webpage where there is a link where anyone can chat 24 hours a day with a Microsoft tech (and they even took control of my computer from there when I asked them to). But I'm sure that chat AP there wasn't with a high level MS tech :). But they did solve my problem every time so far.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

As  Hail Mary, try deleting your default flight and creating a new situation with a default aircraft.  Only certain add-on aircraft can be launched with FSX and P3D, otherwise Windows Defender attacks the gauge as a virus.  Gauges are executable code, a heuristic scan is done and it wreaks havoc sometimes  Someone has to look into some of these gauges, many seem to come from certain Carenado aircraft add-ons, whether real or imagined.  There is some type of conflict going on, it may be the way these gauges write to Simconnect.

John

Whenever I get this crash, AppCrashView says ntdll.dll was the faulting module.  That means high settings or scenery/aircraft incompatible such as what happened with MyTrafficX (mytrafficmil.bgl).  I can get the error, crash, and immediately restart and can't replicate and all is well.  Then, start up again and click on the menu and crash.  I blame it solely on Coautl or maybe GSX as the FSDT installers use to install all of the FSDT stuff in the FSX/Addon folder.  Now it is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager.  Maybe simconnect cannot "see" GSX?  The installer for FSDT products now has two SimObjects\Misc folders (which do not contain duplicate entries).  I did not reinstall many of the FSDT airports into FSX yet the Addon Manager shows they are all installed (probably via the FSDT Live Update) but, when I go there, it's in demo mode or not everything is installed so I have to reinstall.  I had one scenery fail and was told to download the latest addonmanager.  Do not understand how a Microsoft Visual that really has nothing to do with FSX can cause the issues FSX sees for many.  FSX uses a MSV from 2005, which is correct, and FSX-SE uses the one from 2010 (and the 2005 version also has to be there).  So, why would they have any affect whatsoever with FSX/FSX-SE?  That's why I strongly suspect a bad installation of a fsx addon.

For P3D, this issue was fixed by many by renaming the p3d.cfg to p3d.cfg.off, restarting and letting the config rebuild.  I was having the error messages with FSX occasionally, renamed, the FSX.cfg to fsx.cfg.off, restarted, and let the config rebuild.  Don't forget you will have to add the simobjectspaths in the Main section.  I had to add the following:

SimObjectPaths.6=C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Simobjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.7=C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic\Aircraft
SimObjectPaths.8=C:\Program Files (x86)\12bPilot\SODE\data\SimObjects
SimObjectPaths.9=C:\ProgramData\12bPilot\SODE\SimObjects

In the Graphics section, make sure you add HighMemFix=1 (believe this is added by FSX-SE automatically but make sure; FSX-SE users might not even need it)

So far, for my FSX (boxed), I have not seen the errors and have fingers and legs crossed in hopes it is fixed. :blink:

Edited by Jim Young
Lined out erroneous information I posted. Not FSDT fault.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3 hours ago, Fielder said:

Dane any tips on how someone can access higher level Microsoft Support?

In the past I have from time to time gone to the Windows update webpage where there is a link where anyone can chat 24 hours a day with a Microsoft tech (and they even took control of my computer from there when I asked them to). But I'm sure that chat AP there wasn't with a high level MS tech :). But they did solve my problem every time so far.

The online chat will not help you.

What I did was go to this linkk - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows?os=windows-10

Then scroll to the bottom to Contact Microsoft Support

Click GET STARTED - then you get a Chat Window - type in Windows Update - then Call Technician - then click on Call Me Back or Schedule a Call.

You will automatically get Level 1 which is the lower level - they might help you but after a couple calls to them I insisted that I needed to go to Level 2 as I insisted on having Version 1607 ISO file downloaded and installed.

Regards, Dane