Sign in to follow this  
rod55

Question about updating Prepar3D to a more recent version

Hi All

is this the P3D FORUM? For the last few days, I've tried going to the Lockheed Martin site and filling out a registration form (with my correct email address, correct License ID, etc) and repeatedly getting a message to the effect of incorrectly answering the question about being human or a "bot" (I believe I've been correctly answering a question about middle five characters or last seven letters).

I'm feeling silly and excluded by this! I'm a genuine paying customer, after all! I admit to being very ordinary, not at all IT/TECH wiz! 

As well as contributing, at least one of my motives to join the P3D FORUM is to get notice of P3D updates from v4.1. Though I haven't seen any clear and simple instructions as to how to update i.e. if I look in my P3D folder I see an icon which is probably the exe. file but I see NO a file called 'Client'. 

Maybe the P3D Forum at Lockheed Martin doesn't really exist. Maybe I don't need to look any further than my favourite site Avsim. Thanks for your forgiveness and patience. Please illuminate.

This is a general discussion forum but it isn't an official support forum.  The LM forum is the official residence for official support

You will however find everything you need to know about P3D Vx here.  Many helpful people here who are always willing to help.  If somebody can't provide an answer here, then it probably doesn't exist.

All of my past issues have always been resolved by using the Avsim forums.

24 minutes ago, rod321 said:

As well as contributing, at least one of my motives to join the P3D FORUM is to get notice of P3D updates from v4.1. Though I haven't seen any clear and simple instructions as to how to update i.e. if I look in my P3D folder I see an icon which is probably the exe. file but I see NO a file called 'Client'. 

The 'Client' can be downloaded from the LM site. Login with your order details and you should be able to download everything you need. The installer files can't be found in the folder where you installed P3D. More info about the installer can be found here:

Yes Erich, I totally agree, is a great forum and I am glad and grateful to be here. This morning  I was following a thread on graphic settings. This morn I'm gonna try out vsync ON (triple buff ON & unlimited)

How do I get to know about v4 updates? Where can I access the v4  updates without being able to register on the LM P3D Forum? Is there a straightforward instruction as to how to install. Unfortunately I haven't been able to understand Poppet's high tech details.

22 minutes ago, rod321 said:

How do I get to know about v4 updates? Where can I access the v4  updates without being able to register on the LM P3D Forum? Is there a straightforward instruction as to how to install. Unfortunately I haven't been able to understand Poppet's high tech details.

LM usually doesn't offer updates as seperate small files: you simply have to download the latest version of P3D and you can do so from the site from where you downloaded your original P3D installer. LM doesn't offer seperate updates on their forum. And you can rest assured that as soon as an update is available, it will be reported on this forum within minutes.

To install an updated version of P3D you (obviously) have to download the new version, uninstall the parts you want to replace (sometimes you only have to update the Client but you might also want to update the Content or Scenery) and then install the new file in the same folder as the old one. 

32 minutes ago, rod321 said:

How do I get to know about v4 updates?

The 'Latest News' on the home page at Prepar3D is the best way.

bob

Thanks Erich and J van E!

Many thanks. Mist is clearing, almost. I  think the core of my problem is that I was out at work when trusted computer engineer (with my payment credentials) installed P3Dv4.1 on the new PC they built. (I saw their stuff at Flight Sim 2017 RAF Cosford, UK) So I didn't get to see where/how he did installed my Pro software.

So I've been to LM site and clicked tab Downloads, entered my personal details, password and there it all is. I have the Full Download installed. (Does that also mean that the "Individual Component Downloads" are also on my PC ..... I know that seems silly to ask, but just ask without inhibition)??

Thanks for giving me complete confidence that this Avsim forum will let me know when an update to v4.1 is available i.e. v4.2

My remaining question is:I have to admit I still don't know exactly, e.g. I couldn't tell someone else, the steps to install the v4.2 update. That is, when I'm on the LM P3D Download page and I've opened my LM P3D download window with my details and password, which icon do I click in order to download the update to v4.1 (whenever it comes). e.g. do I click "Full Download"? or do I click something in the Individual Component Downloads, something to do with "Client"? Plain and simple, I just don't know!

Hoping you can see this from my shoes. Please remember the day when  you didn't know things, and you're wanting someone to tell you the exact steps of what to do. I cannot be alone in needing this simplicity; so hoping that this thread helps at least one other flight sim fan.

Cheers

Rod, old codger

PS from the message in the above I don't follow/understand this i.e. I cannot see how to carry out the actual steps involved "To install an updated version of P3D you (obviously) have to download the new version, uninstall the parts you want to replace (sometimes you only have to update the Client but you might also want to update the Content or Scenery) and then install the new file in the same folder as the old one". It just reads as 'procedure titles' rather than specific actions for me to take

Edited by rod321
to insert a line in my message

2 minutes ago, rod321 said:

Thanks Erich and J van E!

I realise that I said Avsim is a helpful place and then didn't actually help you. :))    Sorry.  Missed the embedded question.  Jeroen to the rescue.

Erich, actually you gave me the most valuable assistance i.e. you turned the lights back on and signalled help is on the way. Failing to register on the LM P3D forum just left me in complete darkness!!

Onebob, thanks to you I've now been back to LM P3D site, found the 'latest news' section, seen reference to updating.

BUT in the same section I see 'Prepar3D v4 Download & Installation Directions' opened that up, and quickly realised it doesn't tell me in simple English how to upgrade v4.1. So I'm lost again, but maybe we should cross that bridge when we come to it! 

19 minutes ago, rod321 said:

My remaining question is:I have to admit I still don't know exactly, e.g. I couldn't tell someone else, the steps to install the v4.2 update. That is, when I'm on the LM P3D Download page and I've opened my LM P3D download window with my details and password, which icon do I click in order to download the update to v4.1 (whenever it comes). e.g. do I click "Full Download"? or do I click something in the Individual Component Downloads, something to do with "Client"? Plain and simple, I just don't know!

First of all: when you go to the LM P3D download page right now you will see version 4.1 there. 4.2 doesn't exist yet.

Secondly, as I said you cannot download an update as such: you can only download the latest version. So imagine you have 4.0 now and want to update to 4.1 you will have to download the full 4.1 version OR only the individual parts you want. The thing is: sometimes LM updates only parts of the sim. The sim is divided into three parts: Client, Content and Scenery. Suppose you only want to 'update' the Client part (because for instance none of the updated things in the Content or Scenery parts interest you): in that case you will only have to download the indivudual Client part. After doing so you have to first uninstall the currenly installed Client part of P3D using the Windows add/remove programs options. After that you can doubleclick on the downloaded Client installer (probably called Install_Client.msi) and install it into your P3D folder. And after that you are done: version 4.0 will have been replaced with version 4.1.

Hope this helps! If not, ask again! :happy:

EDIT

Since you seem to be at version 4.0 right now my advice is to at least:

- download the Client and Content parts of version 4.1 (from the Individual Component Downloads section)

- uninstall the Client and Content parts of P3D using the Windows add/remove program option

- install the newly downloaded Client and Content part (making sure your current P3D folder is being selected)

That should be it.

Jeroen, you deserve a couple of pints for this! I think by Jove I've got it: 1. click and download say 4.2.client.msi, 2.go back to 'programs and features' in control panel and find say 4.1.client. msi, and uninstall it 3. go back to downloads folder and double click it in the downloads folder, hoping it will find its way to the correct folders. Jeroen, will it find its own way? **I think this is my only remaining question**)

But; there is no but! Because of you I've opened programs and features, only found the icon for the full download v4 Professional, no sign of anything about "Client" BUT BUT BUT, hang on a moment, I've scrolled much further down my long list of Programs and finally seen for the first time this morning 3 icons Profession al Client, Scenery, Content. That is a great sight. EUREKA!!

Hello Rod,

Glad your sorted now.

For other folks reading this who are curious about the steps needed to update Prepar3D to a more recent version please see the Topic below

Hello Elaine

Thank you Poppet, I'm definitely sorted now. Many thanks to Jeroen for generosity and patience.

So I've opened the 'Updating ..' guide you've cited (& saved/printed my copy).

And just to let you know what I think of P3D e.g. showing A2A Comanche or Just Flight Arrows, over ORBX scenery. .........WOW!

A----MAZING!  ....................In a class of it's own! .......I GET BLOWN AWAY EVERY FLIGHT.

Glad I was able to humble myself and ask such basic questions with such pedestrian language.

And thank you Elaine for your well known contribution to flight simulation.

Rod, Birmingham UK