Hi all...

I’ve started getting the following messages when tried to launch MCE on P3D V4

"Could not start Splash Screen" followed by

"Application already running time copilot definitely aboard, just look around, if the some reason you cannot see the window all the tray icon etc.. Please use Kill tool process tool provided"

Basically although it says program is running, and processes is running in the background (viewed in TASK manager) but no icon or menu box etc 

I have tried the follow, as per instructions but still getting the same problem, any ideas on what could be causing this... any support you can offer would be fantastic

1. killed and restarted program

2. reinstalled MCE (with up to date program)

3. Re-run Set Up Wizard

Edited by Capt Tufty
Update on problem

Please go to \Multi Crew Experience\ installation folder and check there is a "splash.exe" file there.

Tell your anti-virus to trust the whole <Multi Crew Experience> installation folder, then re-install MCE.

Thank you @FS++ 

I will try when i get back home this evening and check if the splash.exe file is there, I don't actually have antivirus on this PC build as all downloads etc are completed on a different PC, there is of course an Internet connection for programs that require it ( whether etc and activation's) 

I will report back later

Thanks 

@FS++

hi

I have checked and can confirmed "splash.exe" file is there, as I said above I dont have anti-virus on this PC, I have reinstalled the MCE again  but

still getting the same problem, any other ideas what i can do, I'm at a bit of lost.... could it be problem with P3D V4 stopping it?? not that i would know what to do if it is but... 

Thanks for any support you can give

15 minutes ago, Capt Tufty said:

@FS++

hi

I have checked and can confirmed "splash.exe" file is there, as I said above I dont have anti-virus on this PC, I have reinstalled the MCE again  but

still getting the same problem, any other ideas what i can do, I'm at a bit of lost.... could it be problem with P3D V4 stopping it?? not that i would know what to do if it is but... 

Thanks for any support you can give

Just in case your MCE config file is messed up, restore it to factory settings.

Start->All Apps->Multi Crew Experience->Restore factory settings.

You'll have to go through the wizard. No need for speech training though.

@FS++

Hi

Follow the above and restored to factory settings, but unfortunatey not, same problem "Can not load Splash screen message"

Thanks

Could be a permission problem when "mce.exe" is asking Windows to start "splash.exe"

When Windows UAC is enabled, you must install MCE to default C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder. Make sure "mce.exe" isn't set to run in compatibility mode or something.

Make sure Windows UAC is set to default 2 notches up the slider, restart PC and try again.

Could you check "mce.exe" version and last modified?

Do the same with "splash.exe"

Thanks

Hi

I dont have UAC enabled, as MCE is installed of another drive (same PC), I doubled checked and it isnt running in compatibility mode

Details of mce and splash.exe's

MCE version 2.7.4.0 date modifed 06/11/2017 11:20

Splash version 1.2.0.6 date modifed 06/11/2017 11:20

Thanks

2 hours ago, Capt Tufty said:

Hi

I dont have UAC enabled, as MCE is installed of another drive (same PC), I doubled checked and it isnt running in compatibility mode

Details of mce and splash.exe's

MCE version 2.7.4.0 date modifed 06/11/2017 11:20

Splash version 1.2.0.6 date modifed 06/11/2017 11:20

Thanks

I suggest you re-install MCE to default C:\Program Files (x86)\... folder

The days of taking control of the machine a la Windows XP are over.

Disabling UAC will eventually cause Windows to reduce privileges. More so when using the "registry hack" people gloat about on the Internet.

You're better off keeping UAC at default and just set the required exe files to run as admin.

The same applies to folder access rights. Start messing with them and all sort of unexpected things happen. A file that should have been created, suddenly isn't etc...

Unless there are at least a few other users reporting this same issue, it's hard not to treat it as an issue resulting from something amiss on your machine.

That "splash.exe" hasn't changed for a long time, and it doesn't interact with MCE at all.

Its main purpose is to let you know MCE is loading in the background. It exits when MCE is up and running.

Thank you so much for support, knowledge and insight, I've learnt a few things along the way...

I have re-install MCE to default C:\Program Files (x86) and reset UAC and MCE is now working fine

Thanks again

This error has happen to me after the last windows update and I am now unable to use MCE.  Sometimes i get it to run when i click the MCE.exe multiple times. Other times it say "copilot is already on board."... have try everything mention in this post with no luck..

Could it be a licence issue?

Edited by Olmba

9 hours ago, Olmba said:

This error has happen to me after the last windows update and I am now unable to use MCE.  Sometimes i get it to run when i click the MCE.exe multiple times. Other times it say "copilot is already on board."... have try everything mention in this post with no luck..

Could it be a licence issue?

No, It's not a license issue.

"Co-pilot is already on board" suggests MCE is already running, just not showing its UI".

Before you can re-start it, you have to kill the "mce.exe" process either by clicking Start-><All Apps->Multi Crew Experience->Kill MCE or CTRL+TALT+DEL to bring up the task bar and kill "mce.exe" task.

Latest is V2.7.5.9, may want to make sure you have it.

Where did you install MCE to?

4 hours ago, FS++ said:

Before you can re-start it, you have to kill the "mce.exe" process either by clicking Start-><All Apps->Multi Crew Experience->Kill MCE or CTRL+TALT+DEL to bring up the task bar and kill "mce.exe" task.

There is no mce.exe running as a background an there is nothing to kill (no multi crew is running)

4 hours ago, FS++ said:

Latest is V2.7.5.9, may want to make sure you have it.

Where did you install MCE to?

I use the latest version, installed  in the default installation folder  C:\Program Files (x86)\multi crew.......