Sign in to follow this  
Bill721

1 or 2 SSDs for storing Flight Sim software

Building a new system and wondering how much space P3dv4 takes up.  I was thinking about getting an extra ssd just for Flight simulator software loading.

Has anyone else used a separate ssd drive for that? 

Are there advantages / disadvantages that you have found?

Other option is simply buy a larger 1 gig ssd.  The cost is about the same as 2 500 gig.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you

Bill

I have three 1 TB (or close) SSDs. The first one dedicated to the OS and Windows programs, the other two are dedicated to P3D, one for the root P3D folder and the other to all P3D addons, now that it's recommended to install all addons outside the P3D root folder. That's is what I would suggest to everybody.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

When I had my machine built 2 years ago /i git a 500 gig ssd and a 2TB hard drive. The problem with the smaller ssd is that Microsoft Office got tagged on  then several other smaller programs. The 2TB hard drive became a huge storage area. I have P3D4, tons of ORBX AS4, many airplanes and on and on.I did this because I loved the speed of the ssd. I'm going to do some more research on how to shift the load to the big hard drive. If I were doing it again, I would get the 1TB ssd and a 1TB HD. My thoughts only.

Bill W

2 SSD's would perform better than a single, larger SSD over SATA III.

simbol's M2 would perform better than 2 SSDs on SATA III

and. . .

2 M2s would be better than a single. 

This is ALL contingent on not filling the drive so much that

their performance degrades.

N99WB

46 minutes ago, n99wb said:

2 SSD's would perform better than a single, larger SSD over SATA III.

Would have to disagree with this.

My reading is that unless you go for a raid setup there is no speed advantage at all with using multiple SSDs and since lager capacity SSDs typically perform better than lower capacity ones you are better off just using one large one. Having said that the difference would be imperceptible in P3D.

(Edit: Edited quote.)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

18 hours ago, gboz said:

My reading is that unless you go for a raid setup there is no speed advantage at all with using multiple SSDs and since lager capacity SSDs typically perform better than lower capacity ones you are better off just using one large one. Having said that the difference would be imperceptible in P3D.

I think that the performance issue is not the main consideration to decide between installing one single SSD or two, but reliability. By having two separate SSD your system is more reliable in case of a failure of your only and unique SSD, in other words: don't put all your eggs in the same basket!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

By having two separate SSD your system is more reliable in case of a failure of your only and unique SSD, in other words: don't put all your eggs in the same basket!.

Depends, if you need both to fly then a single one is more reliable.  For example, a twin engine aircraft is more likely to have an engine failure than a single engine.  The good news is the twin will stay in the air much longer with one failed engine than a single.  When I got my ME I learned the extra engine will take me all the way to the accident site.

Dan Downs KCRP