Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

Help taking off in cold weather

Lot of good advice here by pilots with real-world experience in flying large complex radial piston liners. I enjoy the challenge of dealing with the deep systems simulation, but find that I definitely need the help of the AFE, and support the idea proposed by Alan_A for PMDG to consider expanding and refining the AFE's capabilities in the future.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

32 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

Lot of good advice here by pilots with real-world experience in flying large complex radial piston liners. I enjoy the challenge of dealing with the deep systems simulation, but find that I definitely need the help of the AFE, and support the idea proposed by Alan_A for PMDG to consider expanding and refining the AFE's capabilities in the future.

No question, the AFE should back you up not trip you up.  However, someone needs to document the problem on a trouble ticket to ensure it gets into the bug tracking system.  Things found and discussed in the forum are soon forgotten.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

No question, the AFE should back you up not trip you up.  However, someone needs to document the problem on a trouble ticket to ensure it gets into the bug tracking system.  Things found and discussed in the forum are soon forgotten.

Good call - I'll submit a ticket. 

Noah Bryant

Well, that didn't take long...

From Robert's 16 NOV 17 communique in the PMDG general forum, just posted:

Captains,

A few moments ago we pushed a very small update for the PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster for FSX/P3D users.  This update gives you a couple of cleanup details that the development team thought you would like to have since they were "sitting around collecting dust."

You can obtain the update via the Operations Center, and you can see the change list items in the same location as well, but I have included it for you here for simplicity:

PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster - BUILD 1.20.8430 (Released 15NOV17) [ View Issues ]
==========================================================================
- 0006465: [Virtual Cockpit - Animation/Functionality/Click-Spots] FO side trim indicator doesn't move
- 0006474: [Systems Behavior/Functionality] CHT during TO is getting higher with colder OAT
- 0006519: [Documentation] Unlock PDF documents

Still wouldn't object to more conversation with the AFE, but... in the meantime, this'll do!

Hello guys,

I was just planning to jump in this discussion, when the update arrived. I do fly a lot of DC-6 in Alaska, on the FlyingTigersGroup.org DC-6 routes from Everts Air. I recently changed from FSX to P3Dv4 (yes I rebuy the 6, so mine costs 120 USD), and with ASN it is becoming challenging due to the arriving winter. Yesterday I did a lovely approach on PASM with heavy crosswind. All on VATSIM.

The problem is CHT's offcourse! With temps of below -15C my engines, won't last long.

I understand that I cannot go full throttle on the Wet Take off. I tried everything. From reducing to 40 MAP on wet take off till carb heat on en cowling full open.

Is it correct to say that PMDG has corrected and updated CHT because it was simulated wrong?

Carb heat should always be off on take off and landing, right?

Regards Ronald van Ingen

2 hours ago, RonnieDuck said:

Is it correct to say that PMDG has corrected and updated CHT because it was simulated wrong?

Yep. Update last night addressed this issue.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers