Sign in to follow this  
cactus1549

i5 Coffee Lake P3d v4 build?

Hi guys!

Finally I am going to buy my first real gaming PC. It will be used for P3D but also for classic gaming replacing my Xbox. I think an i5 would be a good compromise between price and performance. So what do you think about thid build?

- Intel i5 8600K 3.6Ghz Coffee Lake 1151 Processor

-Msi Z370 A-PRO 1151 Motherboard

-Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB. I found a good price on the ASUS Strix and on the MSI Armor. What's the better choice?

-16GB DDR4 G.Skill 3200MHz Ram.

-Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

-Noctua NH-U9S Cpu cooler

-Corsair rm650i 80 Plus Gold PSU

-NZXT H440 Case

About the monitor I was not sure if buy a 1080p 144hz one or a 1440p 60hz one.

Fabrizio

So this will turn quickly into a AIO vs Noctua debate.

If your going to get a Noctua, I would go for the nh15 with the 2 fans on it.

However..... after spending quite a bit of time researching youll see the high end AIO's have slight better cooling than the nh15.  However the AIOS are alot more noisey.

So is 650 watt psu enough ???

Just my 5 cents, and im not a professional, but im sure people are going to say the above 

14ppkc-6.png

Hi, and welcome to the forum. 

8600K seems a good choice to me. I gather they overclock right up to 5 GHz with a good sample. Not sure how competent you are, how you feel about delidding? Probably not very as it's your first PC.

For motherboards, I'm a fan of Asus. Not that MSI don't produce good boards. Best to look at the reviews for your chosen motherhood and see how it fairs.

Personally I would go for a Strix graphics card.

Is that GSkill RAM Ripjaw V or Trident Z? Both awesome RAM. 

I have an 850 Evo, I also installed one on my daughters PC when I built it recently. Very pleased.

Re Noctua NH-U9S... Are you intending to overclock? If so, then something like my cooler, the NH-D15S. It's huge though so will require room in your case. The other option is an all in one water cooler, for example the Corsair H100i V2. Water or air is entirely your choice, look at the pros and cons of both.

If not overclocking, your chosen cooler is fine, but I would opt for the NH-U14S with more surface area and a bigger fan. Just in case you do want to play with overclocking a tad some time in the future. 

Corsair "i" series PSU's are nice. Can be configured for multi-rail or single rail in the software. In theory 650 watt is sufficient. Personally I up it a bit, but just my preference. 

Re monitors, I have a 1080p 144 htz Ben Q monitor. I do like the higher refresh rate I must admit. Smoother when pottering around the desktop. 1080p or 1440p, in either case, consider monitor size. A big 1080p and you will see pixels, whereas a small 1440p monitor will have minuscule menus etc.  Match the resolution to the screen size. 

• Upvote 1

I echo what Matt says.  Even if you only overclock it asus suite 3 you'll get 4.7 out of it like me. 

The issue I feel is that cooler

• Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

Hi!

Thanks for your answers.

I think I am not expert enough to delid a CPU: it's my first build so I would prefer to avoid this operation.

The RAMs are the Trident Z and I could also buy a 750W Corsair RMi Psu.

I think I won't do OC in the firts period of use, so I could buy the Noctua air cooler now and then switch to a liquid cooler from Corsair or Cooler Master, like the H100i.

I have to possiblity to pay the MSI or an Asus TUF Z370 Pro motherboards less than normal, but the choice is limited to these two Mobo.

The 144hz 1080p monitor would be the Samsung C27FG73 and the 1440p one would be the HP Omen 32''.

So the indecision would be on the cooler. I would prefer to save some money now and buy later a liquid cooler to overclock the Cpu.

Let me know what do you think.

Fabrizio

21 minutes ago, cactus1549 said:

Hi!

So the indecision would be on the cooler. I would prefer to save some money now and buy later a liquid cooler to overclock the Cpu.

Let me know what do you think.

Fabrizio

NH-U14S for now then.

The cooler I favour, the Noctua NH-D15S, will enable you to overclock nicely when you decide to have a bash and fancy upgrading, so don't write off air cooling. Precisely the cooler I use, I favour air.

Yes, some of the very best AIO coolers do beat it somewhat. For example the Corsair H110i or H115i. So the choice is yours, air or AIO water. Best to look at the pros and cons of both.

If you do decide to go for an AIO water cooler, then I would advise one of the 280 rad designs, for example the Corsair H110i. Bigger, quieter fans and bigger rad for better cooling. 

Ok

Thank you

I will go for the NH-U14S now and later if I’ll decide to overclock I’ll buy probably a liquid cooler.

Thanks a lot

Fabrizio