Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

A10 Warthog - Is There a Working Model for P3DV4?

I think that you started this tangent by pointing out deficiencies in one aircraft, but apparently you can't recognize a major limitation in DCS. Its "sandbox" is purposely small and that gives it major programming advantages over flight simulators like XP11 and P3d4 which by concept have a global extent. 

Carry on. I have no interest in belaboring the obvious.

This is the Prepar3d Forum. Can we get back on topic. Like Ed I have ported over the hog, fixed the sound and found the missing gun and light effects in the 1.30 hotfix. All systems functioning except the Flir image. I can see the overlays and it appears to track but no visuals. Nothing in the config's or gauges look out of the ordinary. Just puzzled on why its not working. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, clifegger said:

I have ported over the hog, fixed the sound and found the missing gun and light effects in the 1.30 hotfix

I'm confused. That hotfix is no longer available from IRIS and besides, for some reason, my version or the Warthog Driver says its version 2.1. Is that because the TacPack version numbering is different?

My version 2.1 installer did not contain the fx files that the aircraft.cfg called for. I found the hotfix on an old hard drive for the pre-tacpacked version that had the needed fx files. So I pointed the installer to an empty folder and then once finished only moved the missing fx files over to the v2.1 location and deleted the rest of the hotfix. 

I read Iris posted a fix on there forum but is long since dead. I have also heard others using the VRS Superbug cannon effects as a replacement. 

The missing files are fx_iris_a10_vclight ; fx_iris_a10_vclight_white ; fx_iris_a10_gau8 ; and fx_iris_a10_engfire

My understanding is:

Warthog Driver I version 1.0 > Warthog Driver I version 1.3 hotfix > Entire code rewritten for Warthog Driver II Tacpack version 2.1

To Jason99vmi,

Sir,

I've got the Warthog flying in P3DV4.2, put for the life of me can not get the weapons manager to work.  I have the latest version of TacPack and thought that I have moved all nessary files to the appropriate locations, but no luck.  Would you be so kind as to send me a step-by-step explaination as to how you got all the weapons working.  I've installed the A10 in to an old version of P3D (P3Dv3.4) so I have all the necessary files over there.  I'm sure that there are some .dll's and other files that are not pointing where they should.

Thank you,

Dean

you can PM me at poosd@lycos.com if better.

The weapons should work without modification. The loadout manager is Shift + 2 i think ( its shift + one of the numbers 0-9). Search Youtube for a tutorial on using the weapons. There is a sequence of switches that have to be activated and a wait time for the bombs to initialize before they will release. 

Its best to do a separate install for v4 because you have to add the 64 bit sound dll and modify the panel cfg to point to that dll. You also have to remove the fuel dll. These mods would disable that functionality in v3.

Lastly, the only thing I have not been able to get working is the FLIR. It is tracking objects but there is no image and I have not found a workaround 

On 4/18/2018 at 5:48 PM, cbe0004 said:

Lastly, the only thing I have not been able to get working is the FLIR. It is tracking objects but there is no image and I have not found a workaround 

Any news or suggestions on the FLIR image?

I get the crosshairs, but nor picture from the sensor. Most everything inside the cockpit and on the aircraft seems ok. I can drop bombs and ripple them, haven't gotten a missile to fly off yet but will continue testing. Gun works, but no sound.

I started off by installing the v3 (?) version, and it flew as it was supposed to, but couldn't get TacPack to work and get weapons loaded. I installed the FSX + TP version on top of the v3 install, and the TP wepz manager started working. But....still no FLIR/Targeting pod picture, just the crosshairs.

Anybody come any further?

Best regards,

Olav Gundersen
Norway

This is what works for me in P3D V4.3

Before modifying any of these files backup first!!

1. Add the following camera definition to your aircraft.cfg file:

[CameraDefinition.15]
Title="VRSTP FLIR"
Guid={c028e6d3-362d-4211-97c8-8d469c886842}
Description = Digital Aperture System
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
Category=Cockpit
MomentumEffect = FALSE
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = FALSE
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = FALSE
Track = None
ShowAxis = FALSE
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.60
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=TRUE
PitchPanRate=30
HeadingPanRate=70
PanAcceleratorTime=0
InitialXyz = 0, 0.5, 0
InitialPbh = 0, 0, 0
ClipMode=Minimum
HideShadows=1
SideReflection=1
HideModels=0
HideParticles=1
HideUserAircraft=1
HideAutogen=1
HideScreenSpace=0
HideMissionObjects=0
ShowLabels=FALSE
HideSky=0
HideTerrain=0
RenderToTexture=TRUE
RenderToScreen=FALSE
TextureSizeX=512
TextureSizeY=512
UseGlobalTerrainView=TRUE
SensorMode = IRBlackHot

2. Extract the contents of the A10-TP.CAB file into it's own folder named A10-TP.  Rename the A10-TP.CAB file to something like A10-TP_save.CAB.

3. Now modify the FLIR.XML file in your A10-TP folder (inside the panel folder) to this:

<Gauge Name="FLIR" Version="1.0"> 
<Size X="512" Y="512"/>
<Element>
  <Visible>(C:VRSTP_Util:FLIRShow, bool)</Visible>
  <Texture Name="VRSTP_FLIR_VIDEO_TEXTURE" Width="512" Height="512"/>
</Element>
<Mouse>
</Mouse>
</Gauge>

4. Be sure Tacpack is present and enabled and be sure you have enabled experimental video features.

5. Also be sure you have a camera on your A-10, such as a Maverick and be sure the station is powered up.

Your FLIR in the cockpit should now show the proper image.

Hope this helps

Dutch

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

Thanks a lot, Dutch727!

I really had high hopes for your detailed description, but unfortunately for some reason it doesn't work. Everything is as previously, so no harm done. But I get the same image in the display as previously; ie a black image with the corsshairs. No FLIR image. Flying with the AAQ-28 pod and 2x3 Mavericks, experimental features is enabled and I modified the relevant files, but no dice.

I really have no Idea what is wrong here...

Best regards,

Olav Gundersen
Norway

Check to make sure you don't by chance have another [CameraDefinition.15] that could be blocking the new one.

Make sure you renamed the original .CAB file so that the modified FLIR.XML is being picked up.

Verify that in the panel.cfg the [Vcockpit04] section looks like this:

[Vcockpit04]
Background_color    = 0,0,0 
size_mm                = 512,512
visible                = 1
pixel_size            = 512,512
texture                = $FLIR_OVERLAY

gauge00                = A10-TP!TP_screen_Overlay,      0,0,512,512

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

Tested again here, after verifying the items from your last post, but still no dice.

On the off-chance that the .CAB-file needed to be .CAB'ed up again after modifying the FLIR.xml, I did that, but still not working. The previous attempts had the A10-TP.CAB extracted as a folder with FLIR.xml inside it (and all the other files, of course), but as mentioned in my previous post, it didn't work either. Vcockpit04 was correct and the old A10-TP.CAB was renamed in both tests.

Still no dice, unfortunately.

May I ask exactly how you installed the IRIS A-10 on your PC? Did you do it the same way as me, what install option did you use?

Edited by endl3ss

Best regards,

Olav Gundersen
Norway

I just copied over the aircraft folder from FSX and modified it for P3D.

Only mods necessary were replacing the sound module and the FLIR, if I recall rightly,  It's been quite a while since I did it.

Tried your installation approach as well, but still no dice.

I did some flights with the VRS Superbug, and the FLIR works without problems there, so I'm definitely doing something wrong with the A-10. But I can't for the life of me understand what...
Quick question though, if you know this:

In the .xml mod:

<Gauge Name="FLIR" Version="1.0"> 
<Size X="512" Y="512"/>
<Element>
  <Visible>(C:VRSTP_Util:FLIRShow, bool)</Visible>
  <Texture Name="VRSTP_FLIR_VIDEO_TEXTURE" Width="512" Height="512"/>
</Element>
<Mouse>
</Mouse>
</Gauge>

Specifically this part: (C:VRSTP_Util:FLIRShow, bool).
What does C : mean here? It's not pointing to something on my C-drive, right?

Anyways, thanks for your help so far, even if it didn't work for me here. Any other tips/tricks is very much appreciated, from anyone 🙂

Best regards,

Olav Gundersen
Norway

Sorry for the thread necro, but for the life of me I can't get the FLIR video on the screen in the cockpit of my A-10.
I see several of you say that you've got it working in P3Dv4, but I've tried pretty much everything without any luck. So some more pointers would be much appreciated.

I'm currently running v4.5, I've also installed VRS Tacpack update and Superbug, after the last P3D hotfix.
The FLIR works in the Superbug and Dino's F-35 after the update, so Tacpack itself is definitely working.
When I've got the A-10 loaded and in scenario, I can equip weapons and the targeting pod, without any issues.

Once flying, I can power up the targeting pod and Mavericks, and if I set the HUD as sensor-of-interest, I can slew the pod boresight que (the little square) around, and ground-stabilize it.
I can then choose a Maverick, lase the ground stabilized point, fire the Maverick, and hit the lased target.
The FLIR screen shows the A-10 FLIR overlay with the crosshair (once it has timed out properly after power-up), it'll show the MASK X when the pod is masked.
I can get the FLIR BHOT/WHOT showing in a new window when I choose "New window/camera", but no matter what I do, the actual cockpit FLIR screen does not show the FLIR image, just a black screen with, as mentioned, the A-10 FLIR overlay.

I've tried with 3 different A-10 versions: A-10 Gold, A-10 FSX Tacpack and A-10 P3D.
Same results on all,except the last one, that didn't load TacPack at all.
I've tried Dutch727's instructions further up the thread, but it didn't work unfortunaately. Once again, I've tried it with all three versions of the A-10.

I've tried it with the modifications to the aircraft.cfg and FLIR.XML in the A10-TP.CAB-file that Dutch727 outlined, both in a new A10-TP.CAB-file and in a A10-TP folder with all the files from the .CAB inside; none of it works. I've also verified that the panel.cfg has the Vcockpit04 entry.
Just to be clear, I never got this to work in any of the v4.x versions either, or v.3x versions for that matter. 
Only other info I can give, is that I'm doing an install of the A-10 into the P3Dv4.5 folder structure directly, not copying in from an FSX installation.

So....help....! Please 😔

Best regards,

Olav Gundersen
Norway