Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_Owl

FSX DC6B - GNS 430 FPL Question

Hello folks,

I'm slowly learning how to fly the DC6B in FSX and I'm now figuring out how to create a flight plan manually with the GNS 430.

I can start-up the aircraft just fine. I click on the Garmin PWR button and the power-up starts. I press "ENT" to go to the main menu.

I would like to create a simple flight plan: spawn at YPLM (Learmonth) and fly to YNWN (Newman), Australia. I intend to navigate to waypoint WYLOO first, then to PBO and then to YNWN. I know how to create it with the FSX "Flight Planner" by using a VOR-to-VOR automatically-generated plan (and it works just fine), but I want to create one by myself as if I was operating the GPS in real life.

This is what I do: I hit the "FPL" button to open up the flight plan page and then press the  "D" button with the arrow.

DntY5hg.jpg

I use the inner and outer CRSR knobs to set my first waypoint to YPLM, press ENT two times to activate this flight plan.

Now, the problem I have is that I can't add additional waypoints. I press the "PUSH CRSR" button and use the outer knob to select my desired slot in the FPL, but I can't seem to be able to select an empty slot to add another waypoint (WYLOO for instance).

fUuU9wZ.jpg

What am I doing wrong exactly? Am I missing something or do I absolutely have to use the FSX Flight Planner menu? (as shown below to prove that I can do it with the Flight Planner)

Rhw0vJ5.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Charles O.

That button on the GPS never works for me either, the Push Cursor button on the GPS in the VC clearly has a problem with it in P3D V4 version, since I can never get it to display the map view, which is supposedly done with that same button you are having issues with. I've tried clicking every which way I could with it, even using the exact click locations suggested in the tutorial PDF, but it never worked, in the end I just gave up trying.

Maybe someone else will have a suggestion for you, but personally, I've found it just did not work.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I also asked around other forums and it seems that it's a recurrent issue. Is it a feature that PMDG has not implemented or is it currently bugged?

This GPS is not coded by PMDG, it is simply the default GPS gauge and one of its many limitations is the incorrect implementation of the direct feature.  You are better off removing it and using VOR.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 15/11/2017 at 11:58 AM, Chock said:

That button on the GPS never works for me either, the Push Cursor button on the GPS in the VC clearly has a problem with it in P3D V4 version, since I can never get it to display the map view, which is supposedly done with that same button you are having issues with. I've tried clicking every which way I could with it, even using the exact click locations suggested in the tutorial PDF, but it never worked, in the end I just gave up trying.

Maybe someone else will have a suggestion for you, but personally, I've found it just did not work.

Map view is displayed by scrolling through the NAV Pages..Big part goes through different sections in the GPS, and the little one (outer) scrolls through the different pages in each section

The problem isn't loading the flight plan... it's being able to create a whole flight plan (series of waypoints) from the default GPS. It doesn't seem to support this functionality.

18 hours ago, Chuck_Owl said:

The problem isn't loading the flight plan... it's being able to create a whole flight plan (series of waypoints) from the default GPS. It doesn't seem to support this functionality.

Agree, the default GPS gauge is next to worthless.  I usually keep it turned off and use dual NAVs and the ADF for navigation.  If you cannot fly without a GPS then there is the option to install the Flight1 GTN650.

Dan Downs KCRP