Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Fall Creators Update Patch Brings Apps Back from the Dead

Hopefully, those having issues after installing the creators update will now find some relief......

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/144023/fall-creators-update-patch-brings-apps-back-from-the-dead

Yay! It’s the day after Patch Tuesday, which means Microsoft has rolled out new cumulative updates for all supported versions of Windows 10. The company yesterday released new cumulative updates for users running the new Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, as well as the original Creators Update. These cumulative updates mostly focus on minor fixes and security patches, so they aren’t exactly exciting.

But the latest cumulative update for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, KB4048955, includes a critical fix that affected a number of Windows 10 users running the Fall Creators Update. The issue resulted in some applications to disappear from the Start Menu, preventing users from opening them up after upgrading to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. The only way of opening a missing app was to find the app listing on the Microsoft Store, and then manually open it from there. With today’s update, Microsoft claims to have fixed the issue, so you should get your missing apps if you’re affected by the issue.

Anyway, here’s the full changelog for KB4048955, which brings the OS build number up to 16299.64 for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update users:

• Addressed issue that causes the Mixed Reality Portal to stop responding on launch.
  • Addressed issue that causes a black screen to appear when you switch between windowed and full-screen modes when playing some Microsoft DirectX games.
  • Addressed a compatibility issue that occurs when you play back a Game DVR PC recording using Android or iOS devices.
  • Addressed issue where the functional keys stop working on Microsoft Designer Keyboards.
  • Addressed issue to ensure that certain USB devices and head-mounted displays (HMD) are enumerated properly after the system wakes up from Connected Standby.
  • Addressed issue where the virtual smart card doesn’t assess the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) vulnerability correctly.
  • Addressed issue where Get-StorageJob returns nothing when there are storage jobs running on the machine.
  • Addressed issue where applications based on the Microsoft JET Database Engine (Microsoft Access 2007 and older or non-Microsoft applications) fail when creating or opening Microsoft Excel .xls files. The error message is: “Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)”.
  • Addressed issue where application tiles are missing from the Start menu. Additionally, applications that the Store app show as installed don’t appear on the application list of the Start menu. Computers that have Internet connectivity and upgrade on or after November 14, 2017 will receive this preventative solution and avoid this issue. Machines that lack network connectivity or have already encountered this issue should follow the steps in the Microsoft Answers thread “Missing apps after installing Windows 10 Fall Creators Update”. Microsoft will release and document an additional solution in a future release.
  • Addressed issue where Microsoft Edge cannot create a WARP support process and appears to stop responding for up to 3 seconds during a wait timeout. During the timeout period, users cannot navigate or interact with the requested page.

Security updates to Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel, Internet Explorer, and Windows Media Player.

You can also find the changelog for Windows 10 Creators Update Build 15063.726/15063.728 here, and Anniversary Update Build 10586.1232 here. As per usual, you can get the latest fixes and security updates by checking for updates on Windows Update.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It made all my sims worse.. :bengong:

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

Long live Windows 7 through 2020! Maybe by then W10 will be fixed.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

They also updated the security update, which for me, fixed V3.4.

All is working great right now-3.4 and 4.1.

Dan Cole

I am so close to reverting back to Windows 7. Already have the ISO , I am just waiting for another response from Microsoft otherwise I am going back! I rather have an older style looking windows than a broken one!

5 minutes ago, bobrbend said:

They also updated the security update, which for me, fixed V3.4.

All is working great right now-3.4 and 4.1.

Are you using any addons? Like FSLabs or PMDG? Or is it default aircraft?

51 minutes ago, Pivot said:

It made all my sims worse

In what way, specifically?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hello All,

Just an update for people lost like me.

Microsoft told P3D that the patch from yesterday was only for those who had the Windows 10 1703 installed and NOT the 1709.

I don't understand why they didn't release both of them together in one update but hey! So probably we wait another month (or less I hope!) to fix this.

Meanwhile can some of you with FSX SE edition write to Dovetail games as they need to work with Microsoft about this issue.  Here is the link we need them to know. I've sent many already http://dovetailgames.kayako.com/

16 minutes ago, theitcrowd said:

Hello All,

Just an update for people lost like me.

Microsoft told P3D that the patch from yesterday was only for those who had the Windows 10 1703 installed and NOT the 1709.

I don't understand why they didn't release both of them together in one update but hey! So probably we wait another month (or less I hope!) to fix this.

Meanwhile can some of you with FSX SE edition write to Dovetail games as they need to work with Microsoft about this issue.  Here is the link we need them to know. I've sent many already http://dovetailgames.kayako.com/

FYI:   https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/12/1486613649680732796/

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

10 hours ago, vortex681 said:

In what way, specifically?

P3D v4, XP11, DCS & Falcon are now a stuttering mess. Was running NV385.69 prior to update and all was buttery smooth. After update while turning or changing views it looks like the screen vibrates from stutters. I did install the new NV driver using DDU a few minutes ago doing a clean install and tested P3D. It was better but still jumpy somewhat. I had 1709 installed prior to this MS update, and unlike most others, all was fine. It wasn't until this update did i hit my snag. Going to run through all sims tomorrow to se if they have smoothed out any. We shall see.

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

I was told by the fellow in my signature that when your platform works, the only updates to make are security updates.  I have found this to work well with W7 and you may wish to consider that with W10.  Just a suggestion.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

3 minutes ago, Pivot said:

P3D v4, XP11, DCS & Falcon are now a stuttering mess.

You have my sympathies. However, it's puzzling how the update could have caused the same problem to sims which are so radically different, particularly in the way they generate their graphics. Luckily for me it hasn't had any noticeable effect (good or bad) on anything I run.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

8 hours ago, vortex681 said:

You have my sympathies. However, it's puzzling how the update could have caused the same problem to sims which are so radically different, particularly in the way they generate their graphics. Luckily for me it hasn't had any noticeable effect (good or bad) on anything I run.

Same thing I thought that's why I figured it was due to some driver manipulation. I also reinstalled my sound driver and noticed it had a .NET error. Reinstall cured that. Anyway, I get mine sorted out.

Regards,

Pivot