Sign in to follow this  
ndflieger

Cannot create child window

Hi,

I'm running Windows 10 on a month old PC. Everything was running fine for me in FSX-SE until this last update of a day ago, the "Fall Creators Update". Now I'm getting the "Cannot Create Child Window" error message.

Looking around the 'net I can't find a solution other than Microsoft is supposed to be working on a fix to be released sometime this month (that info is from one of the Steam forums).

Way to go Microsoft - you've buggered things once again.

Scott

• Upvote 1

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

9 hours ago, ndflieger said:

Hi,

I'm running Windows 10 on a month old PC. Everything was running fine for me in FSX-SE until this last update of a day ago, the "Fall Creators Update". Now I'm getting the "Cannot Create Child Window" error message.

Looking around the 'net I can't find a solution other than Microsoft is supposed to be working on a fix to be released sometime this month (that info is from one of the Steam forums).

Way to go Microsoft - you've buggered things once again.

Scott

Same here:angry:

20 hours ago, ndflieger said:

Now I'm getting the "Cannot Create Child Window" error message.

Do you have any PMDG aircraft installed?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hello,

Just installed KB4048955 . Ran P3D v3 and ran FSX both still give the "Child window error" and crash to desktop :( I thought they would fix it !!!!!!! Running addons FSLabs A320X and PMDG 737

Does anyone with this problem NOT have a PMDG aircraft installed?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I'm running FSX-SE (I do not have any PMDG aircraft installed, in reference to Vortex681) and applied the "fix" this morning before work. No luck - still getting the error message and cannot run the sim.

I had a chat session with a MS tech. He had me run 2 diagnostic test routines and then he fixed something (said the patch hadn't installed correctly) and that  I was good to go. Rebooted and fired up FSX-SE: you guessed  it, the problem was still there.

Then I a had a chat session with a different tech after that. She was going to have me do some things but I didn't have time as I needed to get ready for work. I explained to her how this was affecting the flight simming community and that I hoped she would get the word to the powers that be, that this needs to be fixed. She said she would and that she would email some steps to take to fix the problem.

Those steps, you may ask? They were laughable. Step 1 was to create a new user profile and install the patch when logged in under that name (if I were the only one having the issue, I could see that possibly that as an option to try. But with so many people having the problem, I'm not buying it). Step 2, roll back to a previous build (not going to go there, that could cause other issues). So, she was pretty much just following the script in her manual.

Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Scott, do you have anything by FSLabs (which seems to be another common denominator)?

Split from another topic with same subject as the OP of the other topic fixed his problem.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi, no I don't have FS Labs products. I do have the Aerosoft Airbus series and the error occurs with that aircraft and every other one that I have tried since the Windows Upgrade.

Scott

Scott Cebula

6 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Does anyone with this problem NOT have a PMDG aircraft installed?

Me. No PMDG and no FSLabs aircraft, ever. I get the "child window" error when attempting to launch GSX Services. Still a problem after Win10 updates of 14 November.

Very frustrating because it's also inconsistent- fails more often than it succeeds but no obvious pattern.

Guess I just need to keep reading the forums and hope that someone gets to the source of this and can share the solution.

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

Hello All,

Just an update for people lost like me.

Microsoft told P3D that the patch from yesterday was only for those who had the Windows 10 1703 installed and NOT the 1709.

I don't understand why they didn't release both of them together in one update but hey! So probably we wait another month (or less I hope!) to fix this.

Meanwhile can some of you with FSX SE edition write to Dovetail games as they need to work with Microsoft about this issue.  Here is the link we need them to know. I've sent many already http://dovetailgames.kayako.com/

There's nothing more anoying than an update 'improvement' that actually makes things worse!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, for me, this is GOOD news. It tells me MY system is OK (P3D V3.4 with Win 10) and that the problems I'm having (Child Window errors), etc. don't belong to me. So I can sit back now and relax and wait for an update. I was going to go through the whole re-install routine.  

For other info, There is a BIG problem with IS3 with V3.4. I have found a way to make it happen if you are interested. For some of us scenery designers, with 3.4 gone, we are out of business. I can make IS3 work in 3.4 ... but again, not easily. Let me know by PM if you need to know how.  Thanks to all for the posts above, good information. (Another minor point, V4.1 is working perfectly ... just no IS3 available for it yet). 

Doug/RTMM

rtmm_signature.jpg

Such "Error Creating Child Window" pop up in my FSX Acceleration too. Also, the message "An Unsupported Operation Was Attempted". I will reset Win10 this weekend and stop Fall Creator Update until few months later to see if MS corrected on it. We have 10 days to revert from Fall Creator back to the previous version. I learned about getting back to previous WIN10 a month later so it was too late.  After resetting Win10 I will have to reinstall my Add-on sceneries and aircrafts again. That mean to spent at least a week to bring FSX as I had before.

Patricio Valdes