Sign in to follow this  
stretch1365

FSX has run out of available memory!

So yesterday I flew from Nairobi to Johannesburg in the MD-11 recreating the second flight of the recent Air-Clips MD-11 video on Youtube. I had a great flight and all was well, not one issue. I had the freeware Nairobi airport scenery installed from here, and on landing decided to download some Johannesburg scenery also from here, which also changed the airport designater from FAJS to FAOR. However after finding I was unable to redirect all of my World of AI traffic to the new FAOR airport changed it back and removed the Johannesburg scenery.

Today I started up the sim and I am getting "Your computer has run out of available memory error" even before the sim has loaded up. I think it got to 17%, and after a frustrating day cannot figure out what has happened.

I am running windows 7 64bit with 8gb ram and an i3 with nvidia 5770 graphics card. There is more than enough memory on the main hard drive, and FSX is installed on a separate internal drive of 1tb which isn't even a 1/3rd full yet. I know my spec is quite old now but it does work and reliably which means I keep using it. I use AS16, GEX and UTX along with FSUIPC4 and Track IR.

I read your CTD guide and removed the fsx cfg file as suggested, although not sure if I did the scenery one thinking about it now, I may have. Anyway every time I started the sim I got the same warning, so put things back as they were.

I tried the event viewer and Appcrash program you suggest but nothing from today. I have checked through the forum and can only find similar problems when others are landing at large airports after long flights, which I know is an fsx issue.

Just to test my system I ran XP10 which I do struggle to run well, but it does run and that worked fine, so I think the issue is a program related one maybe.

Anyway, I hope someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Best regards.

David Phillips.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

That error message indicates you have run out of Virtual Address Space (VAS) OR there is a major problem with your memory simms on your Motherboard.  If your system is seeing your RAM, then it is okay (many use the freeware program CPU-Z to see their system). 

If all is okay with the RAM, then you have a module in your dll.xml being loaded that is corrupted or causing a major memory leak and needs to be updated.  When you click on the FSX icon, it loads everything in your dll.xml first (it is located in the same folder as your fsx.cfg - a hidden folder).  As stated in the guide you should rename the dll.xml to dll.xml.off, restart FSX and FSX should then start up.  If not then there is a problem with your fsx.cfg.  It's one or the other. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I am thinking the memory on the motherboard is ok, as Xplane works fine, so I will try the other option first and look at the dll files, although it will most likely have to wait until the weekend as  I am now back at work for a few days.

Regards,

David Phillips.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Hi Jim,

Well I just hate having the sim out of action, especially if I don't know the cause.

I found some time to try your recommendations last night. I renamed the scenery cfg, fsx cfg and .dll files so that they wouldn't work, but nope I still get the "out of memory error". So this got me thinking about what I had done just before the error started to happen, and I realised that whilst trying to see if it was possible to get all AI traffic to go to the new FAOR scenery instead of FAJS I had done something really stupid. I had used that little program to redo the AI flight plans from fs9 to fsx is it EIFP13 or something like that, to find out where the default scenery was located. FSX/Scenery/0605/scenery/apx55410.bgl..............Anyway thinking I was being smart I scanned through this file and looked for FAJS which I found and changed to FAOR. It didn't work so I changed it back to FAJS. Now is it possible to have corrupted this file in some way just by changing that one name? Experimenting last night I found if I isolate this one file by changing the .bgl title the sim starts up perfectly but Johannesburg is no longer in the airports list, which I would expect as I turned that scenery off effectively.

If there is some way my messing, which I have to say I am reluctant to do in fsx to this extent usually, has caused this file to be altered can I change it back or am I able to somehow get a downloaded one from somewhere. I should mention perhaps I have boxed fsx acceleration if that helps.

Regards.

David Phillips.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

3 hours ago, stretch1365 said:

I change it back or am I able to somehow get a downloaded one from somewhere. I should mention perhaps I have boxed fsx acceleration if that helps.

You can search our Library for another AFCAD for Johannesburg.  I doubt your renaming the file corrupted the .bgl.  I have no expertise in this area though. 

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

I will have a look through the library.

I am not sure what happened exactly to my original scenery file, and typically the first time I forgot to make a copy before doing anything..............Lesson learned. At least I can fly again, if not at Johannesburg for the minute, while I find out what has gone on.

Thanks for your help, really appreciated.

Regards.

Dave Phillips.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

I could duplicate this error by disabling the following entry in the dll.xml:

<Name>XMLTools</Name>
        <Disabled>False</Disabled>  Disabled by changing False to True
        <ManualLoad>false</ManualLoad>
        <Path>XMLTools.dll</Path>
        <DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
        <DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim,

I will have a look at your comments above tomorrow. I have been flying this last week by just leaving that one scenery .bgl renamed and adding a few freeware airports to fill the gaps.

Thanks for your advice.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.