Sign in to follow this  
bosflo

now here's a new one

So I have been having a huge problem since P3D v3 and it has continued into P3D V4:

I have violent shaking when I am following an ai plane. It doesn't matter where, what time, and what setting i am at, It still shakes all over the place and is so annoying. I have received some help on the forums but no suggestions have helped. But that's not the problem I am having now. I have discovered that when I unplug the power cord to the computer the screen dims but the shaking stops. When I plug it back in then the shaking starts right up again. I have tested it all day by following flights in the same area and at the same time and I always get the same result. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? it's so strange. I can't play with the computer unplugged for more than 20 minutes so that won't help me. The power cord is fine so what could it be? thanks in advance.

I assume you're on a laptop.

Check the performance profile for your graphics card in your energy saving profiles of the laptop.

Cheers,

Jerome

Generally speaking, laptop computers go into a power saving mode, with decreased CPU and Video ability to save power while on battery.  This is normal, acceptable behavior for laptop performance versus battery life.  I cannot fathom that there would be a drastic difference between v3 and v4 in that respect, unless your laptop's OS is possibly 32bit.  Without specifics, it only leads to speculation for us to attempt to help you.  While I love my laptop, most of us run dedicated desktop machines to flight sim on, due to the flight sims high demands.  If you pulled the plug on my flight sim machine (from the UPS), the only shaking would be my involuntary acts of violent shaking until my PC started again.  

Hi,

how exactly are you "following an ai plane"? And where does that AI come from? (Native or created by an addon?)

Depending on the method, there can be synchronization issues between the object depiction and your own movement, with the AI jumping back and forth,and those are most noticable with FPS set to "unlimited". Try limiting your FPS to about 30-ish or lower.

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

3 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

Wake turbulence maybe from the traffic?

My first thought as well but the OP doesn’t mention if he is using ASP4 or not. If so, that’s probably the case being wake turbulence from the AI.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Oh my god I think it worked!!!!. I lowered my fps to 30 and the shaking has stopped!. I can't believe that is "all" I had to do. I have had this problem for years now and no one mentioned the fps to be lowered. I followed two ai flights (using your program) and they both were fine, not to mention that my scenery is loading faster as well. I can certainly live with 30 fps if the shaking stops. How did you know to do this and what other secrets of P3D are you holding?. I can't thank you enough for helping me with this. Off to follow airplanes! 

4 hours ago, bosflo said:

Oh my god I think it worked!!!!. I lowered my fps to 30 and the shaking has stopped!. I can't believe that is "all" I had to do. I have had this problem for years now and no one mentioned the fps to be lowered. I followed two ai flights (using your program) and they both were fine, not to mention that my scenery is loading faster as well. I can certainly live with 30 fps if the shaking stops. How did you know to do this and what other secrets of P3D are you holding?. I can't thank you enough for helping me with this. Off to follow airplanes! 

Hi,

you're welcome.

The issue that we are dealing with here is asynchronous processing, for example in separate programs, threads or CPU cores. In this case, when running unlimited FPS, the movement of the AI and your own movement are calculated separately at different points in time. So when the final frame is rendered, that you get to see on your screen, the AI sometimes is ahead of you, and sometimes it is behind, hence the "jumping". IMHO this has become worse in the latest incarnations of P3D, and I wonder if the AI is itself being calculated in a separate thread now. Same thing happens with many of the multiplayer and recording solutions when they are injecting moving objects into the sim from the outside. Limiting the FPS straightens out the update frequency inside the sim, making it easier for a separate calculation process to stay in sync. It will still jump occasionally, if the sim has "long frames" internally and calculations are held up. For example when you approach a major hub and the sim loads a bunch of other AI or the airport scenery. 

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI