Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[16NOV17] PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster Update and some important NOTAMs

Couple things:

I like the updates, please keep em coming. If you dislike them, don't read them.  Secondly, I think Kyle is hinting that maybe PMDG has taken over a project that was not completed by another developer.  A certain twin turboprop comes to mind. But on the other hand, that guess is really from left field.

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

1 minute ago, Hubinwa said:

Couple things:

I like the updates, please keep em coming. If you dislike them, don't read them.  Secondly, I think Kyle is hinting that maybe PMDG has taken over a project that was not completed by another developer.  A certain twin turboprop comes to mind. But on the other hand, that guess is really from left field.

I think Kyle was hinting the opposite, that taking over another’s project would be a big waste of time for them trying to learn and master a codebase that they didn’t write.

3 hours ago, achutchison said:

That’s a pretty modern looking wing you’ve got in you signature :ph34r:

Almost like a 787’s wing!

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

So what you’re saying is forgo the updates. Got it.

(Also: Where did we wonder why people got frenzied...?)

Yo RSR, we can ignore the forum and just stick to coding again! They don’t like updates or something...

Yes. That's right. Forego NOTAM #3 (rest of the NOTAMs are real updates so no issues there). It isn't really an update other than "look we got something shiny coming up but we can't talk about it". .

Well then don't talk about it.

Also, there really isn't any need for the sarcasm. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Hubinwa said:

Secondly, I think Kyle is hinting that maybe PMDG has taken over a project that was not completed by another developer.

Quite the opposite. You may want to re-read it. Note the emphasis on the fact that even internal projects are better off started from scratch, simply by starting over.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

19 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

internal projects are better off started from scratch, simply by starting over.

Yes sir, agreed and am relieved to know I was wrong.  I'd rather have an original.

• Upvote 1

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

9 hours ago, anubhavs said:

Yes. That's right. Forego NOTAM #3 (rest of the NOTAMs are real updates so no issues there). It isn't really an update other than "look we got something shiny coming up but we can't talk about it". .

+1

13 hours ago, anubhavs said:

Isn’t that the point of getting people excited so people don’t think PMDG are doing nothing? So we have something to keep us sane before the -8 releases? Sarcasm is a medium in which Kyle paints his responses with, it’s not meant to be mean, just to bring a bit of humor to his posts.

50 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Sigh...the pack is getting rabid...

Question is: who's the pack?

4 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

Isn’t that the point of getting people excited so people don’t think PMDG are doing nothing? So we have something to keep us sane before the -8 releases? Sarcasm is a medium in which Kyle paints his responses with, it’s not meant to be mean, just to bring a bit of humor to his posts.

Pardon me, but was not Kyle's sarcasm as equally "shortsighted and irrationally accusatory" as had been James' 'unicorn' remark? You could say James also was just being humorous then. Equal measurement for all, please.

And claiming that you're doing something by announcing pronounced non-information? Teasing and exciting people is great. But you cannot blame people becoming impatient or disappointed or simply fed up at times, especially when you announce new projects before completing the pending ones. You have to expect it in advance. It doesn't excuse rude behaviour, sure, but makes it a bit more understandable and asks for more sensitivity.

• Upvote 3

Best regards,

Christian Kelter

30 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

Sarcasm is a medium in which Kyle paints his responses with, it’s not meant to be mean, just to bring a bit of humor to his posts.

It's also a way to somewhat point out the oddity in the responses here without being overly serious.

I find it very odd when people come in here and get upset that they haven't heard from us in a while. Even when we're not ready to provide ALL of the details, and simply a vague "there's more here, but we're not going to get into it just yet," they get upset. Moreover, I find it odd that several people will also demand that the updates be in the style they find to be acceptable.

1 minute ago, paulopp said:

And claiming that you're doing something by announcing pronounced non-information? Teasing and exciting people is great. But you cannot blame people becoming impatient or disappointed or simply fed up at times, especially when you announce new projects before completing the pending ones. You have to expect it in advance. It doesn't excuse rude behaviour, sure, but makes it a bit more understandable and asks for more sensitivity.

There is a vast difference between expressing disappointment with the information provided, and essentially accusing us of making vaporware. Unicorns don't exist. They're mythical creatures. The extension of this point would be that our software does not, and will not exist. If that was not the intent, then the message should have been refined. That lack of refinement is not my fault, but I do need to ensure that people are engaging with others in the forum factually (actually a rule for the forum here).

I'm usually pretty understanding of alternative viewpoints, but when those viewpoints get accusatory without evidence, or specifically ignore the facts at hand, I take issue with them, and will challenge them...usually at the level at which they were presented. The ignorance of facts in discourse is not something I'm willing to abide - here or elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

32 minutes ago, paulopp said:

Pardon me, but was not Kyle's sarcasm as equally "shortsighted and irrationally accusatory" as had been James' 'unicorn' remark? You could say James also was just being humorous then. Equal measurement for all, please.

I'd say not. I know Kyle's style of sarcasm, and as he said above, it's mainly to point out how strange some of the responses are. Do you own any of PMDG's products? If you did, you'd know that the wait was more than worth it and know that when PMDG say to get excited about something, they mean it. Saying that PMDG's products are unicorns is just a plain stupid statement. Like anything in life, good things come to those who wait and products like PMDG's don't happen overnight, as evident by the 747's 42 month development cycle. You've seen how good their 747 is, and their -8 won't be anything different. Perfection takes time. 

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

It's also a way to somewhat point out the oddity in the responses here without being overly serious.

I find it very odd when people come in here and get upset that they haven't heard from us in a while. Even when we're not ready to provide ALL of the details, and simply a vague "there's more here, but we're not going to get into it just yet," they get upset. Moreover, I find it odd that several people will also demand that the updates be in the style they find to be acceptable.

I find Anubhav's objection not odd at all. The sarcastic response to him however falsely accused him that he wanted update statements terminated or styled his way when in fact he just referred to the non-information in NOTAM #3. This is at least a gross distortion of his point. Let's stay factual here, then. Of course you may design your announcements as you wish, but as everything in life, not everybody will agree and it would be a shame if one day we lived in a world where only the cheer squads may speak up unchallenged. I say that as a satisfied PMDG customer.

I ackowledge the differentiation of the 'unicorn' statement. Thanks for the clarification.

• Upvote 2

Best regards,

Christian Kelter

5 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

There is a vast difference between expressing disappointment with the information provided, and essentially accusing us of making vaporware. Unicorns don't exist. They're mythical creatures. The extension of this point would be that our software does not, and will not exist. If that was not the intent, then the message should have been refined. That lack of refinement is not my fault, but I do need to ensure that people are engaging with others in the forum factually (actually a rule for the forum here).

I'm usually pretty understanding of alternative viewpoints, but when those viewpoints get accusatory without evidence, or specifically ignore the facts at hand, I take issue with them, and will challenge them...usually at the level at which they were presented. The ignorance of facts in discourse is not something I'm willing to abide - here or elsewhere.

Its the old aesop fable: the man the boy and the donkey. No matter how hard you try, you can't please everyone.