Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[16NOV17] PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster Update and some important NOTAMs

1 minute ago, Boomer said:

Now careful lest you be accused of being a sycophant.

What the heck is that anyway?

Vic green

12 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

What the heck is that anyway?

Sycophant-a person who acts obsequiously toward someone important in order to gain advantage.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, KORDATC said:

I was referring to PMDG.  Milton claimed above that PMDG will not be making anything older because it won't sell.  So I brought up the DC-6.

The DC-6 was a testbed for PMDG’s entrance into X-Plane, chosen sorely upon the fact that it was not nearly as complex as their current jets, and because RSR loves that aircraft. Notice how all of the jets they sell, aside from the JS41, are glass cockpit with a good amount of automation. Why? Because the older stuff just won’t sell as well.

2 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

The DC-6 was a testbed for PMDG’s entrance into X-Plane, chosen sorely upon the fact that it was not nearly as complex as their current jets, and because RSR loves that aircraft. Notice how all of the jets they sell, aside from the JS41, are glass cockpit with a good amount of automation. Why? Because the older stuff just won’t sell as well.

Well, we got the DC-6 and the JS41 didn't we?  What's to say we won't get another "classic"?  If I remember correctly, when they first announced the DC-6, it was meant to be the first in a line of "classic" aircraft that would be developed by various teams during development gaps of the newer birds.  And remember, the DC-6 was originally previewed and planned for FSX, not X-plane.  Now, I believe we will probably get a newer aircraft next as well, but I don't think it is right to completely shutout the idea of an older aircraft altogether.

2 hours ago, KORDATC said:

Well, we got the DC-6 and the JS41 didn't we?  What's to say we won't get another "classic"?  If I remember correctly, when they first announced the DC-6, it was meant to be the first in a line of "classic" aircraft that would be developed by various teams during development gaps of the newer birds.  And remember, the DC-6 was originally previewed and planned for FSX, not X-plane.  Now, I believe we will probably get a newer aircraft next as well, but I don't think it is right to completely shutout the idea of an older aircraft altogether.

Where’d you ever hear that? If I recall correctly, RSR said that the DC-6 was a testbed for their entry into the XP market, nothing more, nothing less with a port to the ESP platforms planned after. I’ve heard one of the staff say that their customers favor automation, glass cockpits, and the aircraft they see st their home airfield rather than the older, retired stuff with a lot of things having to be done manually.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

Captain Sim have an L1011, and if they are indeed working on a new plane, it’s going to be glass cockpit due to market demand and lack of demand for older stuff like you mentioned.

The CS L1011 is actually pretty good. Took me a while to get used to it after flying glass. I'd love to see a DC-10 to that quality. I don't think it will come from PMDG, but that would be pretty cool.

Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!

7 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

Sycophant-a person who acts obsequiously toward someone important in order to gain advantage.

Sooo... 'sucking up'? :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

Where’d you ever hear that? If I recall correctly, RSR said that the DC-6 was a testbed for their entry into the XP market, nothing more, nothing less with a port to the ESP platforms planned after. I’ve heard one of the staff say that their customers favor automation, glass cockpits, and the aircraft they see st their home airfield rather than the older, retired stuff with a lot of things having to be done manually.

That's was also my impression. Also it has been explained multiple times by PMDG, that the DC-6 was meant as a test-bed into the X-Plane platform, partly because of it's lower complexity and because RSR loved that aircraft.
It's also been pointed out by PMDG, that bringing up the DC-6, regarding support for the conclusion that PMDG would develop more aircrafts in those lines, is a mute point.

So please just refrain from doing so. It's was meant as a test-bed for a possible future platform and doesn't necessary have anything to do, with any possible development of future aircraft. 

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Ok, ok, but when will the 747-8 be released? :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

James Goggi

4 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

That's was also my impression. Also it has been explained multiple times by PMDG, that the DC-6 was meant as a test-bed into the X-Plane platform, partly because of it's lower complexity and because RSR loved that aircraft.
It's also been pointed out by PMDG, that bringing up the DC-6, regarding support for the conclusion that PMDG would develop more aircrafts in those lines, is a mute point.

So please just refrain from doing so. It's was meant as a test-bed for a possible future platform and doesn't necessary have anything to do, with any possible development of future aircraft. 

Yes, the DC-6 was the testbed for X-Plane. But in my eyes KORDATC is correct as well. Let me point you to the initial announcement from PMDG:

In there is the paragraph:

The PMDG Classics DC-6B is the lead off product in a new breed of products for PMDG that will bring some "old school" aviation to our product lines for Xplane, FSX and Prepar3D.  This product will drop for XPlane first- but shortly after will release for FSX and Prepar3D as well- making it the first PMDG product to appear on three different simulation platforms.  (We count FSX and FSX-SE as a single platform...)

I have not that much experience with PMDG yet, but I understand that this is just a general information and not some timetable for the next releases. But at least it seems to promise that they earnestly plan to continue some kind of "classic" line.

Björn Labitzke

• Upvote 3

Thank you @sPe4yvuY!  But it goes back even further than that.  Here is the true original announcement from back in 2012.  

As you can see, there wasn't a single mention of X-plane originally.  Now, it morphed into the testbed for X-plane later on in the development.  But, most of you are forgetting that it was originally modeled for FSX.  And Robert definitely mentioned a "classic" line of aircraft being released occasionally.  So yes, once again, I don't feel that it is right to completely rule out another older aircraft.

Regards,

Rob

4 hours ago, jgoggi said:

Ok, ok, but when will the 747-8 be released? :biggrin:

Patience, my friend, patience!

1 hour ago, KORDATC said:

Thank you @sPe4yvuY!  But it goes back even further than that.  Here is the true original announcement from back in 2012.  

As you can see, there wasn't a single mention of X-plane originally.  Now, it morphed into the testbed for X-plane later on in the development.  But, most of you are forgetting that it was originally modeled for FSX.  And Robert definitely mentioned a "classic" line of aircraft being released occasionally.  So yes, once again, I don't feel that it is right to completely rule out another older aircraft.

Regards,

Rob

Or it is possible that after seeing the sales of the DC-6 when compared to their 747, their stance changed.

On 11/18/2017 at 5:12 PM, paulopp said:

Ryan, this is marketing I guess. If the teasing brings you to constantly check for news, you're already a very likely customer, at least you stick to the label, I call that the Apple effect. That I say without any critical undercurrent. However, I'm also thinking that too much teasing might backfire. Many people here seem to have already made up their minds about what they wish for or what they expect PMDG to do next. The danger of disappointment is big, but then again, PMDG know the marketing psychology probably better than me.

That's my point exactly. I posted a few pages back that people are over-speculating and disappointment for most is imminent. The majority of the posters have voiced their excitement should it be a new aircraft when it may just as well (or even more likely) be some sort of upgrade/new feature. Personally, I would love an update to bring the NGX up to their current standard of addon aircraft or even a MAX, but I'm fully aware there's a great chance it won't be any of these and I'll pass on whatever it is.

Just think about the news that came up that LM would hold a Q&A thingy. People were going wild and in the end, it wasn't really more than just hot air and there was general dissatisfaction.

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD