Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Can't get it to work

When I'm on FSX SE and if I go to anything on the menu there's a pop up that reads; An unsupported operation was attempted. The sim freezes, then FSX SE shuts down.

There is a fix for this that works for some people.  Search for "Menu" in the AVSIM CTD Guide - Jim describes the problem and possible fix (that works for a lot of people) in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  The CTD Guide is located on the right side of most every AVSIM page.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Did you get this problem fixed?  Seems related...

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

A couple of individuals who had FSX-SE with this error fixed it by reinstalling FSX-SE (actually completely uninstalling/reinstalling FSX-SE).  This means a conflict with an addon not working properly.  When you open up FSX-SE, click on the menu, what is loaded?  The default flight?

6 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

There is a fix for this that works for some people.  Search for "Menu" in the AVSIM CTD Guide - Jim describes the problem and possible fix (that works for a lot of people) in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  The CTD Guide is located on the right side of most every AVSIM page.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave but this was actually referring to several clicks on the menu caused a crash and this was fixed by the uiautomationcore.dll which DTG included with FSX-SE.  It sounds to me that the individual has something taking up resources and, when click on the Menu, it causes an unsupported operation occurred.  Maybe FSX-SE was not started with Admin privileges and the sim thinks someone else is using the sim and not allowing the operation?

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

" When you open up FSX-SE, click on the menu, what is loaded?  The default flight? " One thing that is new with the menu and that is it opens in the Russian Country. I recently did a flight in Russia. I have to go down and click on  " any ', every time I do a flight, then it works. Yes, I am getting the  ' Error Creating Child Window '. This problem is also in my PREPARED v.4 Sim. I believe this is all related to the new Windows ' Creator ' Update, that I can't un-install.

On 16/11/2017 at 3:07 PM, jetsmell said:

" When you open up FSX-SE, click on the menu, what is loaded?  The default flight? " One thing that is new with the menu and that is it opens in the Russian Country. I recently did a flight in Russia. I have to go down and click on  " any ', every time I do a flight, then it works. Yes, I am getting the  ' Error Creating Child Window '. This problem is also in my PREPARED v.4 Sim. I believe this is all related to the new Windows ' Creator ' Update, that I can't un-install.

I'm struggling with the same error since I Updated Windows... :(

I have the latest Windows 10 v1709 since last Tuesday and have used P3DV4.1 several times.  There is a fix for the Error Creating Child Window and I heard it is updating to the latest version of Windows.  Once you do that, there will be more updates that you need to update.  I do not have FSX-SE but the boxed version of FSX/Acceleration and it works.  If you continue to get the errors then you will have to open up Windows Update and click on Recover and go back to another version.

Submit News to AVSIM

This is in the P3D Forum but the fix should work for everyone having the error:

Submit News to AVSIM

On 11/16/2017 at 0:17 AM, jetsmell said:

When I'm on FSX SE and if I go to anything on the menu there's a pop up that reads; An unsupported operation was attempted. The sim freezes, then FSX SE shuts down.

Okay, I got the error too when clicking on the menu - Options and then Display.  Freeze with the error message and crash to the desktop.  In my case, I went into the FSX.cfg and deleted all of the extra [Displays].  I just left two.  One for my primary display and one for my secondary monitor.  I could have deleted them all as they will be rebuilt when you restart FSX but left just two.  Restarted FSX and tried to make it crash and nothing happened.  So, if that does not resolve your issue, I would recommend renaming your fsx.cfg to fsx.cfg.off, restarting FSX-SE and let it rebuild and see if that fixes the problem (don't mess with the settings until you see that it was fixed).  If no more crashes, then the issue was in your fsx.cfg.  I think with the new update, it wants a refresh of your simulator's config.

I removed that 4.7 dotnet as recommended in the link provide above in an earlier post and that did not fix the problem.

Hope this helps fix your problem.

Submit News to AVSIM

I tried your recommendation Jim and no luck. I'm afraid the only cure will have to come from Microsoft and a patch for their update. The title ' Creator Update ' was very appropriate, it  ' Created ' a huge problem for many of us.

Unfortunately they will not be coming out with a patch for this issue.  To blame Windows 10 1709 on all of our crashes is wrong as I have proven, beyond all reasonable doubts (at least in my head), that the issues are with your configurations.  My FSX and P3DV4.1 work perfectly now that I found the problems.  In P3DV4, you will also probably find if you open up the Addon Organizer from Lorby_Si and click on check for encoding errors that your scenery.cfg is not encoded properly.  You will also find you will have duplicate areas.  Yes, the update made a lot of changes to Windows 10 but to Windows 10.  You will see all of the directories changed in your Windows Explorer where you should see where Microsoft backed up the files they changed and put them into Windows.old.  I think Lockheed Martin needs to fix the fact they have two different scenery.cfg's, the cfg and the xml formats.  Any duplications there will cause a crash.  It's a mess that LM put you and many others in who are not computer experts.

Submit News to AVSIM