Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

From Napa to the Basin and Range, on my way to Ogden - Part 2

Rest of my trip from Napa to Ogden Utah.  I installed and instructed on a hotel network, a Best Western there.  My hosts were very gracious, they took us into their home for dinner and gave us tickets to a Weber State basketball game, Weber clobbered their opponents.  Ogden was very wintery while I was there, it was one of the few times I drove in the snow, other than where I used to live in Gardnerville/Tahoe.

2017-11-15_22-1-15-933.jpg
2017-11-15_22-6-43-811.jpg
2017-11-15_21-43-15-842.jpg
2017-11-15_22-2-41-229.jpg
2017-11-15_22-11-7-136.jpg
2017-11-15_22-1-7-740.jpg
2017-11-15_22-11-27-28.jpg
2017-11-15_22-4-19-639.jpg
2017-11-15_22-1-36-513.jpg
2017-11-15_22-4-30-677.jpg

• Upvote 1

Very nice shots of Bonneville and the Great Salt Lake desert...love that cross country!

HLJAMES

4 hours ago, HLJames said:

Very nice shots of Bonneville and the Great Salt Lake desert...love that cross country!

HLJAMES

Thanks much, this realtime flight from Napa to Ogden was my favorite.   And the 550 is by far my favorite Carenado aircraft.  It does perfect landings, right on the numbers, and the MOI is set very well.  MOI's are key to getting good aircraft performance, they learned that in Xplane too.  They prevent the aircraft from shaking too much at higher speeds.  At FL360 the Citation was right on the numbers.

Cactus just curious what simulator are you using there?

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

2 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Cactus just curious what simulator are you using there?

P3DV4.  Learned a couple of things yesterday.  First I downloaded the latest Windows updates, not many in this latest package, they did not affect P3D.  Then I turned off my MSI gaming manager.  My performance in both Xplane11 and P3DV4 is much better now, the MSI gaming manager was WAN enabled, you don't want so many open ports on your system, it can flood the system with network packets. 

I also found the best gaming controller is the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  Had a Logitech mouse for years, their products are almost bulletproof, they outlive the PC.  They make a very good mouse, just as MSI makes a very good system.  It does not put out a lot of heat, my old PC would heat up my house like an oven.

Xplane11 has some very good tweaks in it to help you maximize its performance.  Again I do not recommend gaming managers, anything that tries to optimize code adds bloat to it when it is not written well.  They seem to bypass the registry somehow and make writes directly to the hardware.  You're supposed to use the Windows API, that's why my Landclass Assistant is backward compatible all the way back to when I first wrote it, for FS2002.  My two public programs, MirrorArt and SpiraPaint, were also written with the Windows API.  There are wizards embedded in Microsoft's programming tools that help you use the API, not that I am trying to teach programming, I tend to use spaghetti code, LOL.

I believe P3D and FSX perform well because they came right out of Microsoft.  CPU reliance is better than GPU reliance, although there are some excellently coded games that exploit the GPU to its fullest.  But I have found such games more likely to bluescreen than Windows API based games.

John

15 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

P3DV4.  Learned a couple of things yesterday.  First I downloaded the latest Windows updates, not many in this latest package, they did not affect P3D.  Then I turned off my MSI gaming manager.  My performance in both Xplane11 and P3DV4 is much better now, the MSI gaming manager was WAN enabled, you don't want so many open ports on your system, it can flood the system with network packets. 

I also found the best gaming controller is the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  Had a Logitech mouse for years, their products are almost bulletproof, they outlive the PC.  They make a very good mouse, just as MSI makes a very good system.  It does not put out a lot of heat, my old PC would heat up my house like an oven.

Xplane11 has some very good tweaks in it to help you maximize its performance.  Again I do not recommend gaming managers, anything that tries to optimize code adds bloat to it when it is not written well.  They seem to bypass the registry somehow and make writes directly to the hardware.  You're supposed to use the Windows API, that's why my Landclass Assistant is backward compatible all the way back to when I first wrote it, for FS2002.  My two public programs, MirrorArt and SpiraPaint, were also written with the Windows API.  There are wizards embedded in Microsoft's programming tools that help you use the API, not that I am trying to teach programming, I tend to use spaghetti code, LOL.

I believe P3D and FSX perform well because they came right out of Microsoft.  CPU reliance is better than GPU reliance, although there are some excellently coded games that exploit the GPU to its fullest.  But I have found such games more likely to bluescreen than Windows API based games.

John

My flight simulator computers only run flight simulator nothing else....for gaming I use a powerful SLI system

HLJAMES

2 hours ago, HLJames said:

My flight simulator computers only run flight simulator nothing else....for gaming I use a powerful SLI system

HLJAMES

Yes, mine is SLI too but just single card, not dual.  It was only with the release of Xplane11 that I became comfortable with the program.  A ton of improvements were made in it, although I plan on keeping the current 11.05 release.  I still tend to use P3D more than XPlane11, even though P3D takes a bit longer to load.  Simply because I have more photoreal coverage in P3D more than anything else.  I tested various scenery settings, from super sharp LOD to what I use today.  The MSE scenery stays sharper than my Colorado scenery, in part because I did not compress Colorado enough.  MSE has better compression.  Last night I took a very long flight in the Citation 550, from Denver to SFO, then south to Orange County.  I am still considering unloading my photo scenery for Xplane so I can get MSE Oregon, Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.  I will wait and see  on that one though because I am more partial to the coloring I get in my Xplane photo scenery, it is more muterd and not as overly vibrant.