Sign in to follow this  
SquawkDirtyToMe

P3D FIX FOR "Error Creating Child Window"

12 hours ago, Jim Young said:

You're lucky!  I have the Kaby Lake i7 7700K and cannot install Windows 7 using Kaby Lake processors (think Skylake too).  Only Windows 10 must be installed.  Mandatory.... Totally incompatible!  That's what they said when it was first announced - "mandatory", but that only gave techs a major challenge as some got very upset when they heard a chip maker say they are not compatible with anything other than Windows 10 and you cannot do this or that.  It was just a matter of who would be the first to get it to work with Windows 7 and make fools of the chipmaker and Microsoft.  Google says it can be done (but I'm not going to try)!  Now those techs, who made fools of Intel and Microsoft, are all here on AVSIM trying to get their respective flight simulators to work properly without getting so many crashes and freezes. :smile:  Just joking...

Best regards,

Jim

Jim,

You can make it work but Windows 7 will refuse to install any windows update or patch saying the processor is incompatible.

I found this the hard way at work and had to reformat laptops and PCs to put Windows 10 instead.

Simbol 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, simbol said:

Jim,

You can make it work but Windows 7 will refuse to install any windows update or patch saying the processor is incompatible.

I found this the hard way at work and had to reformat laptops and PCs to put Windows 10 instead.

Simbol 

I think you and Jim are both right ....

From what I know:

There's a difference in Windows7 behaviour, depending  on used Intel processor:

- Windows7 on 5th-generation Intel processors and earlier.
Can be installed and is updated.
BUT: mainstream support has ended, only security updates untill 2020.

- Windows7 on 6th-generation Intel processors (Skylake)):
Can still be installed and is updated.
BUT: mainstream support has ended, only security updates untill 2018.

- Windows7 on 7th-generation Intel processors  (Kaby Lake):
Can still be installed, but refuses to do any Windows7 updates (including security updates).
Which is blocked in the processor itself, but apperantly that can be patched (but patching a processor doesn't sound like a good idea for most PC users)

So it's kind of a catch if someone buys a modern PC now and still want to use Windows7.

- Windows7: 
Very stable, but no support on the latest Intel processors.
And all support ends in 2020 anyway.
And we know by know (recent malware) what the risk is of having no Windows security updates on an on-line PC

- Windows10:
Works very stable (even for FSX and P3Dv3), UNTILL Microsoft goofs up again with mandatory "updates".
Like the dreaded "CreateWindowEx function" problem for some 32-bit applications in the Fall Creators update (1709).
Still not solved .....*sigh*  

Rob

Thank you ,works perfect for me ,:biggrin:,after hours of repairs and new installations you just made my day,happy holidays Sir:biggrin::biggrin:

It's Dec 12 and MS rolled out another update: KB4051963, the problem is still there and no real differences at all

Currectly I have .NET Framework 4.7 enabled (In control panel), Prepar3D.exe.comfig using 4.7.

I realized that the child window error only occur when I load PMDG aircraft, for FSLabs there is no prompt and I could change to full screen mode using "Alt-Enter" without issues. So perhaps PMDG is using something which resulted in this crash.

EDIT: I ran Prepar3D in Windows 7 compatibility mode and the "child window" prompt only appears once when I load the PMDG, plus I can switch to full screen mode with "Alt-Enter" without issues. 

Regards,

Cedric

Edited by Cedric Sin

Regards,

C Schaffhausen

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I have Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.0.28.21686

I have noticed that the "Child Error" only happens for me if I am using instrument panel items.

I have installed the GTN 750 & 650. as well as the ice gaugen. 

When I turned those off at the start of simulation, never saw the error.

I also was not able to find the config file.

Today's patches for Windows 10 especially KB4054517 have fixed the Crash to Desktop errors I was having with P3D V3.4.

I could never start up VRS Superbug F/A 18 without child window open errors and a quick CTD.   I tested multiple planes and locations and weather.

My Windows 10 version is now 10.0.16299.98.

Today's culmulative release for Windows 10 fixed the issues I was having with FSX so I'm pretty positive it is now fixed in P3Dv3.4.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10