Sign in to follow this  
Boeing100

Torque and P-Factor

Hi All

I'm in the process of revalidating my SEP for my PPL in a PA28 Warrior and have been using JustFlight's model  to train in between real world flights which has been very handy, particularly to practice stalls, etc

I know that torque and p-factors and modeled but my airplane is constantly banking to the left, even if I move the sliders all the way to the left in the sim settings (P3DV4). This is very unrealistic in comparison to the real aircraft and quite frustrating as I'm constantly correcting my bank angle (no aileron trim in this plane). It can't be due to fuel imbalance either as even after resetting my tanks to 50/50 on each side, i get the same amount of effect.

This is also not due to joystick  calibration as I only have this issue with GA aircraft.

Thanks

Hi,

From what I know, JustFlight PA28 have some kind of damage system modelled. Maybe you have aileron failure? Try to disable this in the JustFlight dialog options.

Hope that helps,
Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

34 minutes ago, twojastara said:

Hi,

From what I know, JustFlight PA28 have some kind of damage system modelled. Maybe you have aileron failure? Try to disable this in the JustFlight dialog options.

Hope that helps,
Lukasz

Thanks Lukasz, however it's too subtle to be damage failure. I will definitely double check when I get home but unfortunately doubt it will make a difference. I would also assume that if it was a failure, the plane wouldn't bank properly either when i've moving the joystick.

My A2A Comanche and 182 will do this.  I switch tanks and it straightens out in short order.

5 minutes ago, n99wb said:

My A2A Comanche and 182 will do this.  I switch tanks and it straightens out in short order.

I've already tried switching fuel tanks, or start with a perfect 50% full on each side and it unfortunately makes no difference, still banking to the left. 

Is it simulating solo pilot asymmetric weight? I know  FSW does simulate that, so certainly the JF PA-28 does it in that sim, the behaviour of which can be altered by sticking a passenger in the right front seat, but not sure about their PA-28 in P3D or FSX though or whether P3D and FSX also simulate asymmetric weight distribution, not checked it.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 minutes ago, Chock said:

Is it simulating solo pilot asymmetric weight? I know  FSW does simulate that, so certainly the JF PA-28 does it in that sim, the behaviour of which can be altered by sticking a passenger in the right front seat, but not sure about their PA-28 in P3D or FSX though or whether P3D and FSX also simulate asymmetric weight distribution, not checked it.

FSX/P3D (and previous!) certainly do simulate the effect of asymmetric weight distribution and it is my guess that this is the problem. Check the fuel & payload dialogue!

thanks Chock/skelsey, I will double check payload rather than just focus on fuel. My CG always looked centered so unfortunately I'm worried this might not be it, but worth a try!

34 minutes ago, skelsey said:

Check the fuel & payload dialogue!

Probably worth getting into the habit of checking it in FSX, that way it will become habit for real since you are revalidating your PPL. You know what happens when people don't get the weight calcs correct on real aeroplanes, it leads to some 'interesting' stuff!

I would recommend doing absolutely everything like that, all the checks, ATC calls, clear calls, run up checks, clearing turns, lookout etc, etc when doing stuff related to a real certification, as it helps to drill it in good and proper.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I've managed to solve this issue - the problem wasn't with the fuel balance, it was with the passenger balance. By default I only had "myself" in the left seat, adding a passenger in the front right seat made my CG perfectly centered again and no more banking to the left.

Thanks to those who came back with suggestions it certainly put me on the right track to find the source of the error.