Sign in to follow this  
jozeff

Control options for PMDG ngx 737 Warthog Throttle and CH Yoke

Dear flightfriends,

I'm pretty new to p3d and PMDG ngx 737. Have been playing (not flying...) a lot with fsx in the past. I remembered how difficult it was to bind controls to keys and joystick. I used fsuipc for that but every time I started fsx some settings seemed to have changed. Now I am trying some serious stuff. I want to learn how to fly the PMDG 737 in P3D V4. I hav a Thrustmaster warthog throttle/stick and an CH Eclipse Yoke and I have the paid version of FSUIPC.

The PMDG manual says it's better to not calibrate controls in FSUIPC but in the driver/software that comes with the controller, is that true? Does anyone have a profile that I can use of at least have some info as how to set up my controllers. I have fs2crew installed also and, because I'm flying in VR, I am also very interested in voice control options.

Is there some kind of template/example to use for setting up the most basic controls. It's impossible to control everything with the throttle I guess so the keyboard will still be needed (a bit harder in VR...)

Any thoughts would be be very welcome!

Jozeff

Hi, I have Warthog HOTAS, CH Eclipse Yoke, CH quadrant, + CH pedals.   If I think I need to calibrate I do that within CH software.  I also have paid fsuipc for setting up controls.  I have no problems  with my controllers.

I also fly PMDG ngx 737 mostly, in VR, with "FlyInside".   I do have voice for a few things with "VoiceAttack"

I never thought of it till just now.  You may be able to set up reverse thrust with the warthog throttle using the off position.  Try in fsuipc buttons/switches.  This link may help 

I have the full warthog hotas setup and I use fsuipc to set up (but not calibrate) my buttons and axes.  No issues here with PMDG aircraft.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Thank you guys so far. About the warthog throttle: which commands have you attached to which button or switch. I mean there are like 800 commands possible in the ngx. I really dont know where to start. I also have voiceattack and fs2crew. Are these about the same in use for the ngx? Have been reading about LINDA and key programming. Should I use that?

Thanks again!!!!

I would just use fsuipc as much as you can.  Program the buttons/switches you use the most or correlate well to a button/switch on the hotas.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

15 hours ago, jozeff said:

Have been reading about LINDA and key programming. Should I use that?

Yes, LINDA highly recommended. There is a module for the ngx737 so there is no actual programming involved.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Great thanks!! I'll try that. Is Linda for keys or also for sliders and throttle?

Tnx!!

1 hour ago, jozeff said:

Great thanks!! I'll try that. Is Linda for keys or also for sliders and throttle?

Tnx!!

Linda does just the buttons/switches. Use fsuicp for the axis.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

for the ngx and voiceattack, set as many things as possible up in the NGX CDU with keystrokes, then set voiceattack to send those keystrokes with voice commands. Works great.

i haven't worked out how to control the other functions yet (eg pressurisation panel) - maybe voice attack to fsuipc, then action a LUA script via fsuipc. Still learning how to do that, my single attempt so far failed.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Ok, so I installed Linda and downloaded the ngx profile. Looks very promising so far. Question: there is  a profile for the NGX commands but I need to bind everything to the hotas switches myself I guess? Or is there a hotas profile for the Thrustmaster Throttle that says exactly to Linda which knob/switch is bindend to lets say "landing gear down". I mean, why should I use Linda if I can bind my axes in fsuipc and keybindings in p3d or via thrustmaster software? I understand that for 3 way switches (like on the warthog throttle) Linda is required but do I have to bind the 3way switch myself or will the NGX Lua file do that for me?

I'm a bit confused by the matter ;)

thank you for your thought people!!!!

jozeff

2 hours ago, jozeff said:

Ok, so I installed Linda and downloaded the ngx profile. Looks very promising so far. Question: there is  a profile for the NGX commands but I need to bind everything to the hotas switches myself I guess? Or is there a hotas profile for the Thrustmaster Throttle that says exactly to Linda which knob/switch is bindend to lets say "landing gear down". I mean, why should I use Linda if I can bind my axes in fsuipc and keybindings in p3d or via thrustmaster software? I understand that for 3 way switches (like on the warthog throttle) Linda is required but do I have to bind the 3way switch myself or will the NGX Lua file do that for me?

I'm a bit confused by the matter ;)

thank you for your thought people!!!!

jozeff

I guess you could enquiry in the Linda forum if someone would share their own Thrustmaster profile but I think you might be better off just doing it yourself. What suites someone else may not suite you and it's a lot harder to remember what switch does what with someone else's profile than one you have created yourself.

The reason Linda exists is that not every aircraft uses standard fsuicp control programming. Most of those 737 switches can only be moved because of the custom Linda lua script that someone has written for it.

With the 3 way switches you just have to juggle the "on press" and "on release" combinations.

gb.

Hi gboz,

Thanks for that! I'll try the LINDA forum. I noticed that in the linda manual that someone has written they use the warhog throttle and the ngx as an example! That should give me some direction  I guess.

greetz and happy flying!

Jozeff