Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

How to effectively manage P3D v4.1 install and add-ons?

Hello,

so an unfortunate thing has happened to me, my SDD with Windows and P3D v4.1 died. Therefore I need to do a complete reinstall of everything. Wohoo.. 

I think that since I've gotta do it, I might as well do it right. 

My questions are as follows:

1. I have 256 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD. Windows is naturally going on the SSD. Should I install P3Dv4.1 there as well? Or will the HDD be a better option? I have a lot of huge add-ons.
  2. Is there any benefit of installing add-ons outside of P3Dv4.1 root folder? How do I effectively do that, should I want to?
  3. Do you use any tools for managing add-ons? Which ones?
  4. Is there any way that I can get some kind of insurance in case that the disc dies again? For example when I install all the add-ons I need, is there a way to make a back-up of it all? So it's compatible and running in case I need to make a fresh Windows install?
  5. Any other tips?

Thank you very much,

Tomas

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, ThomassoCZ said:

I have 256 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD. Windows is naturally going on the SSD. Should I install P3Dv4.1 there as well? Or will the HDD be a better option? I have a lot of huge add-ons.

Either location is okay.  An SSD provides faster "loading" times but does not affect performance.

Is there any benefit of installing add-ons outside of P3Dv4.1 root folder? How do I effectively do that, should I want to?

You can install your add-ons anywhere you want.  In the main P3D folder or anywhere on any drive.  No advantage.  If you want to install all your addons in say, P3DV4 Addons, then you direct your installer for each addon to that folder.  Many addons, like FlightBeam and FSDT will install in the P3DV4 Addons folder and will make up an Add-on.xml.  It is rare that any other developers do that as the SDK on how to do it was released only a year or two ago and most did not see it.  A lot of members do not use the P3DV4 addon concept and just let the installer do its thing and install the entry into the P3D Scenery.cfg.  It's okay.  The addon will load either way.  Right now most are using the Lorby-Si Addon Organizer (see his forum here at AVSIM).  It has more details.  It takes a while to learn how to use the add-on.xml concept but you will eventually learn like I did.  I'm still learning!  If you have an entry in the scenery.cfg, the Add-on Organizer will see it and you have the option of the Organizer making up an Add-On.xml for you!! and it eliminates the entry in the scenery.cfg for you.  Orbx/FTX and UTX2 have their entries in the Scenery.cfg and you cannot move those until Orbx has an idea how the xml addon concept works.  They recently upgrade the orbx object flow module and made an add-on.xml for it so I think the installers will start using the add-on.xml, slowly but surely.  The problem is with their files they throw into the Scenery/World/Scenery folder with elevations that they turn on and off.

Is there any way that I can get some kind of insurance in case that the disc dies again? For example when I install all the add-ons I need, is there a way to make a back-up of it all? So it's compatible and running in case I need to make a fresh Windows install?

I have a backup folder on a USB 2TB drive where I have all of my original software located.  So, if I have a crash and have to wipe out P3D, I just go there and reinstall everything.  No reason to backup as the backup would be huge and I think worthless as it would have to backup registry entries too.  I have never heard of anyone successfully using a backup to save their installations.  If the HDD or SSD crashes, just reinstall everything.  Much easier and it will eliminate errors.

Any other tips?

When installing, take your time.  No need to install every add-on immediately.  Install something and make sure it is working first before going to another addon.  See the AVSIM CTD Guide, link in my signature, if you have a crash or freeze.  Do not tweak!  Tweaks bad!  SSD's and HDD's are fairly cheap now and I would get more but make sure the HDD's are at 7200 rpm speeds.  E-Bay has some great deals as many people upgrade to the more expensive SSD's and sell the old mechanical HDD's.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have 256 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD. Windows is naturally going on the SSD. Should I install P3Dv4.1 there as well? Or will the HDD be a better option? I have a lot of huge add-ons.

A 256 GB drive looks too small for installing your OS (and I suppose you have other Windows stuff, like MS Office, for instance) together with P3D and all your addons. I have one SSD dedicated to P3D (I actually have the two versions installed v3.4 and v4.1, but v3.4 will be deleted sooner than later) and another SSD drive dedicated to all P3D addons. That way you will always have plenty of room for your sim.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

9 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Either location is okay.  An SSD provides faster "loading" times but does not affect performance.

You can install your add-ons anywhere you want.  In the main P3D folder or anywhere on any drive.  No advantage.  If you want to install all your addons in say, P3DV4 Addons, then you direct your installer for each addon to that folder.  Many addons, like FlightBeam and FSDT will install in the P3DV4 Addons folder and will make up an Add-on.xml.  It is rare that any other developers do that as the SDK on how to do it was released only a year or two ago and most did not see it.  A lot of members do not use the P3DV4 addon concept and just let the installer do its thing and install the entry into the P3D Scenery.cfg.  It's okay.  The addon will load either way.  Right now most are using the Lorby-Si Addon Organizer (see his forum here at AVSIM).  It has more details.  It takes a while to learn how to use the add-on.xml concept but you will eventually learn like I did.  I'm still learning!  If you have an entry in the scenery.cfg, the Add-on Organizer will see it and you have the option of the Organizer making up an Add-On.xml for you!! and it eliminates the entry in the scenery.cfg for you.  Orbx/FTX and UTX2 have their entries in the Scenery.cfg and you cannot move those until Orbx has an idea how the xml addon concept works.  They recently upgrade the orbx object flow module and made an add-on.xml for it so I think the installers will start using the add-on.xml, slowly but surely.  The problem is with their files they throw into the Scenery/World/Scenery folder with elevations that they turn on and off.

I have a backup folder on a USB 2TB drive where I have all of my original software located.  So, if I have a crash and have to wipe out P3D, I just go there and reinstall everything.  No reason to backup as the backup would be huge and I think worthless as it would have to backup registry entries too.  I have never heard of anyone successfully using a backup to save their installations.  If the HDD or SSD crashes, just reinstall everything.  Much easier and it will eliminate errors.

When installing, take your time.  No need to install every add-on immediately.  Install something and make sure it is working first before going to another addon.  See the AVSIM CTD Guide, link in my signature, if you have a crash or freeze.  Do not tweak!  Tweaks bad!  SSD's and HDD's are fairly cheap now and I would get more but make sure the HDD's are at 7200 rpm speeds.  E-Bay has some great deals as many people upgrade to the more expensive SSD's and sell the old mechanical HDD's.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for the tips, I will follow them.

Just one thing, SSD's aren't that cheap where I live... Gonna have to be enough :-) 

9 hours ago, edpatino said:

A 256 GB drive looks too small for installing your OS (and I suppose you have other Windows stuff, like MS Office, for instance) together with P3D and all your addons. I have one SSD dedicated to P3D (I actually have the two versions installed v3.4 and v4.1, but v3.4 will be deleted sooner than later) and another SSD drive dedicated to all P3D addons. That way you will always have plenty of room for your sim.

Cheers, Ed

MS Office doesn't take that much space and I can install everything on the HDD anyway, can't I? 

Tomáš Pokorný

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

3 hours ago, ThomassoCZ said:

MS Office doesn't take that much space and I can install everything on the HDD anyway, can't I? 

Sure it doesn't. You can install whatever you want on your HDD of course, but I thought you did not want to mix up your sim drive with other stuff, but that's your HDD anyway :biggrin:

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

15 hours ago, ThomassoCZ said:

Hello,

so an unfortunate thing has happened to me, my SDD with Windows and P3D v4.1 died. Therefore I need to do a complete reinstall of everything. Wohoo.. 

I think that since I've gotta do it, I might as well do it right. 

My questions are as follows:

1. I have 256 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD. Windows is naturally going on the SSD. Should I install P3Dv4.1 there as well? Or will the HDD be a better option? I have a lot of huge add-ons.
  2. Is there any benefit of installing add-ons outside of P3Dv4.1 root folder? How do I effectively do that, should I want to?
  3. Do you use any tools for managing add-ons? Which ones?
  4. Is there any way that I can get some kind of insurance in case that the disc dies again? For example when I install all the add-ons I need, is there a way to make a back-up of it all? So it's compatible and running in case I need to make a fresh Windows install?
  5. Any other tips?

Thank you very much,

Tomas

Tomas take a look on simstarter NG awesome tool, very flexible, you can manage basically everything with in your simulator, including addons. All at a fair price in my opinion.

http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/jess/bs-ssng/bs-ssng.htm

• Upvote 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

6 hours ago, ThomassoCZ said:

Just one thing, SSD's aren't that cheap where I live... Gonna have to be enough :-) 

I was mostly thinking a HDD and not an SSD as many people are getting rid of their HDD's and moving to the expensive SSD's.  There's really nothing wrong with HDD's.  I saw a 1TB Seagate HDD on Amazon for $50.  Lots of deals like that around.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

5 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Tomas take a look on simstarter

Came here to post this. Sold by Aerosoft, new version works great with v4. You can set up various profiles that control the programs that run at startup (traffic, weather etc), scenery, xml-based add ons and your sim config settings. Plus a heap more variables, including tweaks and affinity mask settings. 

Makes getting in the air much quicker, particularly if you have lots of addons.

One of my favourite accessories for v4.

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

19 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Tomas take a look on simstarter NG awesome tool, very flexible, you can manage basically everything with in your simulator, including addons. All at a fair price in my opinion.

http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/jess/bs-ssng/bs-ssng.htm

13 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Came here to post this. Sold by Aerosoft, new version works great with v4. You can set up various profiles that control the programs that run at startup (traffic, weather etc), scenery, xml-based add ons and your sim config settings. Plus a heap more variables, including tweaks and affinity mask settings. 

Makes getting in the air much quicker, particularly if you have lots of addons.

One of my favourite accessories for v4.

I took a look and it seems like exactly what I was looking for, thanks! :-) 

Tomáš Pokorný