Sign in to follow this  
Datalink

777X cockpit

Looks quite nice, just enough of the 777 to make it familiar but enough of the 787 to make it sleek and modern. 

To be honest I don't like the grey they are going with now, and I also don't like those new PFDs that are blue and brown everywhere - I am sure they are better for safety but...

I think the current 777 cockpit looks "neater"

Yikes... look how different the CDUs are.  This will be pretty much a totally new airplane for any pilot.  Not sure about touch screens, I've flown in turbulence that makes turning a knob very difficult but I bet they have that figured out.

Dan Downs KCRP

As some would say...."De gustibus non est disputandum"....I would gladly see new cockpit and all new functions that has to offer.

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

The customers have been involved from day one and went over the seat, to touch displays and still have to avoid the yoke? 😄 that's so Boeing.. a fly-by-wire airplane with a big, fat yoke... ergonomics is just a word...

7 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

that's so Boeing.. a fly-by-wire airplane with a big, fat yoke... ergonomics is just a word...

Wow Marc... you don't like yokes?  I think joysticks are just fine in fighters and arcade games.  I guess it is a personal preference.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

2 minutes ago, downscc said:

Wow Marc... you don't like yokes?  I think joysticks are just fine in fighters and arcade games.  I guess it is a personal preference.

I deal with them 😄 I have nothing against them personally and on every aircraft that has directly connected controls they make absolute sense. It was just fine on the 737 or 744.. I used to fly C172 and DR400, the Robin has a middle stick. Both is fine but with the stick you have a lot more space to do your work on the panel. Not that is was that much in an SEP, but nevertheless, the yoke on the Cessna is an all time barrier. And on a full FBW equipped airplane like the 777 that isn't far from an A330 I personally wouldn't build in a yoke anymore. Compared with the other FBW aiplanes, no matter if they follow the airbus or boeing philosophy, there's not much that speaks in favour of a yoke, there are no steel cables anymore to be connected to the column. All above when you have to or want to touch the screens all the time. Now let this thing move on approach... 

It's not that I don't like it, I like the look, I like to touch a yoke.. but it's not really ergonomic for daily work. 

6 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

I deal with them 😄

From the birth of the USAF until the late 80s, the AF was run predominantly by bomber pilots.  Then fighter pilots started to take over (we bought more fighters than bombers) and good Lord the B1 shows up with a stick. It's just wrong.  I'm sure now days the youngsters flying the Bone don't think about it but the transition back then was pretty bumpy. I'm pretty sure Curtis LeMay turned over in his grave.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Touch screen... right ....now just imagine a guy using the touch screen after having a couple of croissants. 😂 And then the sun just come up, reflecting a layer of finger prints on the PFD and ND. 

Personally, having flown both the 777 and A330. I prefer the yoke on the 777. It is much more intuitive to fly especially take off and landing in crosswind. The fact that you can cross control nicely on the 777 is really helpful. 

Also for trainers, the ability to be able to see the input from the other side is a huge plus. 

I know i much prefer a table in cruise, but the engineering Boeing put in to make an `FBW airplane to feel like a conventional airplane is truely phenomenal. 

13 hours ago, downscc said:

From the birth of the USAF until the late 80s, the AF was run predominantly by bomber pilots.  Then fighter pilots started to take over (we bought more fighters than bombers) and good Lord the B1 shows up with a stick. It's just wrong.  I'm sure now days the youngsters flying the Bone don't think about it but the transition back then was pretty bumpy. I'm pretty sure Curtis LeMay turned over in his grave.

Presumably you aren't a fan of the C-17 flight controls, Dan? 😉 The classic Avro Vulcan bomber had a stick too, mind you it handled like a fighter by all acounts.

I have no preference either way, but having touchscreens with a yoke in the way is a bit awkward. Touchscreens themselves are bad enough. According to the Boeing video they've added places to anchor your hands around the bezel but that still means touching near the centre of the screen in turbulence will be quite a challenge unless you have large hands. I also wasn't impressed by the test pilot's assertions that you won't have to train for it. The touch gestures may be intuitive but pilots still need to know what interactions are possible. I can see it becoming so normal for pilots that they will execute a touchscreen change without checking what they've done first.

I suspect touchscreens will be much more useful for preflight use, than in flight use. However if you can do things like tune a navaid by touching it on the map that would be a plus.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Taking advantage of this topic, without going off... You can call me distracted, or something but I do have a question to the PMDG 777 "factory" (like the touch??? ;) ) designers and management:

Are there any plans of following Boeing's recent developments, indeed taking advantage of the technology on the QOTS dash 8, and creating the next generation T7-9 and -10?? YOU BETTER! :D

Hello to all. Any ideas how to remedy the cockpit view from PMDG 777 (FSX)? It appears a weird large object in the cabin.

1CY9b0j.jpg

Edited by trisho0
adding image

Patricio Valdes

19 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

Hello to all. Any ideas how to remedy the cockpit view from PMDG 777 (FSX)? It appears a weird large object in the cabin.

Please do not divert topics from their original topic. Your issue here was probably better off as its own thread.

As for your actual issue, it looks like you've moved your eyepoint into the overhead. There's no reason for you to be up that high. Fix your camera settings, or restore the original panel.cfg.

Kyle Rodgers