Sign in to follow this  
cleonpack93

FSLabs wants to develop new Concorde for v4

I am encouraged that FSLabs are considering this, and I hope that it gets the green light.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

at least 500-1.000 - maybe 1.500 email (around $100.000-$150.000).

+1 

Sounds about right, that would cover about 1500 hours of development effort. But I would make that 15000 emails, hoping that 10% of the people who express their interest via the internet will actually buy the product (which is a rather optimistic assumption). If FSL want to test feasibility, maybe kickstarting the project would be an alternative.

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

10 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

+1 

Sounds about right. But I would make that 15000 emails, hoping that 10% of the people who express their interest via the internet will actually buy the product (which is a rather optimistic assumption). If FSL want to gauge feasibility, maybe kickstarting the project would be an alternative.

Best regards

Yearh - you probably have some knowledge about such things - to some extend. Mine was merely a careful assumption, since it was suggested that around 150 emails would be enough - which I highly doubt... 

If you take into account, that the project runs for 2-3 years (I'm sorry, FSLabs - I highly doubt a release in 2018). 3 developers running 2 years full-time, in salary alone, that's is - well, alot (I don't know how much a programmer makes), but for the purpose of this example let's say $2.500 a month. That's $180.000 alone in salary for two years, for 3 programmers working full-time... Again, I don't know the specific wages (and I don't intend to start a discussion regarding that), but merely for the purpose of having an estimate and some perspective... 

I think you're estimate of 15.000 emails would be more realistic, to be honest... Especially if we take the optimistic view, that 10% of the people sending an email, would actually purchase it.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

14 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Yearh - you probably have some knowledge about such things - to some extend. Mine was merely a careful assumption, since it was suggested that around 150 emails would be enough - which I highly doubt... 

If you take into account, that the project runs for 2-3 years (I'm sorry, FSLabs - I highly doubt a release in 2018). 3 developers running 2 years full-time, in salary alone, that's is - well, alot (I don't know how much a programmer makes), but for the purpose of this example let's say $2.500 a month. That's $180.000 alone in salary for two years, for 3 programmers working full-time... Again, I don't know the specific wages (and I don't intend to start a discussion regarding that), but merely for the purpose of having an estimate and some perspective... 

I think you're estimate of 15.000 emails would be more realistic, to be honest... Especially if we take the optimistic view, that 10% of the people sending an email, would actually purchase it.

Anders,

You are aware there is an existing 32-bit version so it certainly wouldn’t take 2-3 years to produce. Andrew said 2018 and I believe him.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Anders,

You are aware there is an existing 32-bit version so it certainly wouldn’t take 2-3 years to produce. Andrew said 2018 and I believe him.

I'm well aware of it...

But I've seen developers 'promise' deadlines which can't be kept for a gazillion of reasons. 2018 would make it a maximum of 13 months... Given, that the existing version is about 7-8 years old, we're talking about a whole new aircraft (as also stated by Andrew).

Also, they've only started probing the interest now... then (if the interest is sufficient) they have to startup the project etc. Maybe they've devoted some resources to it already - but still... With holidays and vacations, we're looking at late January or start February, before the actual work can begin?  Yes, 1 year could be possible. But it's certainly optimistic! So optimistic, that I highly doubt that it can be done, with the aircraft system depth and integrity that's required.
I know the base mechanics are in place from the previous 32-bit edition, but they still have to code it, optimize it etc etc... Besides, they also have to create a new VC, textures and modelling... I would say, that it's impressive if it can be done by FSLabs in 18-24 months, to be honest. I'm sorry to be the kill-joy here - but I think I'm being fairly realistic.

I have my reservations about such timelines, to be honest. Also, I have my doubts that the remaining Airbus versions (A319 & A321) from FSLabs would be released 'in the coming months' as stated previously. 
I have been monitoring enough addon developments to know, that deadlines extend - and most likely greatly extend. I have (to this date) never witnessed a development-team, which could meet such deadlines. They're always longer than projected. 

Please don't take offense - I have no problems with such delays/extensions. Most likely they're there to ensure quality. But I would take such projections with caution.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I would buy it, and I sent them the E-mail. And I haven´t even taken the plunge and got P3d v4 yet (being constantly short on time with two kids, the 1h/month I get to flightsim will be spent in XP11). 

However. If they release this new version I will get it + v4. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

looking forward to this if it comes off

would definitely buy

email sent

• Upvote 1

jeff storey

6 hours ago, tooting said:

Didn't it burn 6 tonnes or something crazy just to get up In the air? 

Probably, but she did supercruise....at MACH 2. She only needed the burners for takeoff and to pass through transonic. Try telling that to the FUGLY F-35, not to mention other far more graceful military jets. Supercruise on a civvy jet is nothing new :laugh:

For everyone who doesn't want an "obsolete" plane in sim, there's probably someone who does want another historic plane available in their flight sim.

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Isn't the Captain's hat stuck between the bulkhead and FE panel in G-BOAC? I can't remember, it's been a while since I went on the tour.

EDIT - email sent!

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

The Concorde would beautifully complement the upcoming SR-71 by Milviz, 2 more supersonic planes to add to our hangars!

4 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

I'm well aware of it...

But I've seen developers 'promise' deadlines which can't be kept for a gazillion of reasons. 2018 would make it a maximum of 13 months... Given, that the existing version is about 7-8 years old, we're talking about a whole new aircraft (as also stated by Andrew).

Also, they've only started probing the interest now... then (if the interest is sufficient) they have to startup the project etc. Maybe they've devoted some resources to it already - but still... With holidays and vacations, we're looking at late January or start February, before the actual work can begin?  Yes, 1 year could be possible. But it's certainly optimistic! So optimistic, that I highly doubt that it can be done, with the aircraft system depth and integrity that's required.
I know the base mechanics are in place from the previous 32-bit edition, but they still have to code it, optimize it etc etc... Besides, they also have to create a new VC, textures and modelling... I would say, that it's impressive if it can be done by FSLabs in 18-24 months, to be honest. I'm sorry to be the kill-joy here - but I think I'm being fairly realistic.

To a large extent the feasibility of it will depend a lot on the fidelity of the research and material which was gathered for the preceding version. I daresay at least some of the 3D modeling could either be used, or at least be the basis of some higher fidelity modeling. Photographic research and performance specs research will of course already have been done in order to create the thing first time around and may be of a sufficient resolution for very little more needing to be done to create suitable textures. To some extent the coding will be a little easier a task too, in respect of not having to shoehorn everything into a product which has to stay within the confines of what a 32 bit add-on can push memory-wise.

Not that any of the above makes it an easy task, but it does undeniably make it easier, for example with regard to scheduling and project management; as anyone knows, if you've done something once, you know many of the pitfalls to avoid if you do it a second time and don't end up going up the blind alleys and dead ends you had to on your first attempt, with much of that also aided by the greater freedom having little to worry about in terms of VAS issues for a 64 bit version designed for use on faster processors and faster RAM than the previous iteration.

I would not be surprised if they managed to get it out before the end of 2018.

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I personally would be happy if FS-Labs managed to release the new Concorde on March 2, 2019 - those of you who know a little about Concorde history know the significance of that date.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

... the significance of that date.

50 years of supercruise! (Some of it virtual... :happy:)

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

15 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

I personally would be happy if FS-Labs managed to release the new Concorde on March 2, 2019 - those of you who know a little about Concorde history know the significance of that date.

Or October 24!